Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Asking Chabad Babysitter to Feed Non-CY Formula
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

momomany

Post Wed, Sep 23 2009, 6:29 pm
Quote:
I live about 12 hours away from boro park (driving. and that is without stopping). what is available in boro park does not help me or most of my friends. but thanks for the info.

is any other large jewish community nearby? maybe other supermarkets/groceries in concentrated jewish areas carry it too? I have no idea where you are located

greenfire

Post Wed, Sep 23 2009, 6:30 pm
a parent decides what to feed the child ... nobody else ... a person should not run a babysitting service if they cannot handle the diversity of other people ...

I was once told my kid's pudding was like eating mcdonalds ...

Pickle Lady

Post Wed, Sep 23 2009, 6:31 pm
I think this is a question for a Rav. If I was put into that position I would contact a Rav

Atali

Post Wed, Sep 23 2009, 6:34 pm
greenfire wrote:
a parent decides what to feed the child ... nobody else ... a person should not run a babysitting service if they cannot handle the diversity of other people ...

Sorry, it is not fair to say that one has to violate their standards or else not run a babysitting service.

chaylizi

Post Wed, Sep 23 2009, 6:42 pm
Atali wrote:
greenfire wrote:

Sorry, it is not fair to say that one has to violate their standards or else not run a babysitting service.

the playgroup my daughter goes to requires her to bring a CY, nut-free lunch daily. She is licensed by the State.

Tova

Post Wed, Sep 23 2009, 6:44 pm
Nope, bubby, nothing happened. Just wanted to be sensitive and that got me thinking.

Twizzlers

Post Wed, Sep 23 2009, 6:50 pm
I dont see why it should be a problem. what your saying basically is that had I been working at the time that my son was on nutramigen (treif formula) I couldnt have sent him to a jewish babysitter cuz she'd have to feed him treif? seriously?

Atali

Post Wed, Sep 23 2009, 6:53 pm
I personally would view it differently if giving non-CY formula (or even treif) was a medical necessity, such as a premature baby or one with PKU or something like that, rather than a normal healthy baby in a country where CY and pareve formula is available.

Twizzlers

Post Wed, Sep 23 2009, 7:04 pm
but why is it even the babysitters business why the child is on whatever formula it is? if I were to drop my son off with his treif formula would I have to give a whole medical history why he needs it?
my older son was on a cholov stam formula because it was much cheaper and dh wasnt bothered by the fact that such a tiny baby wasnt keeping chalav yisroel; do I need to explain all this to a babysitter?
what for?

bubby

Post Wed, Sep 23 2009, 7:07 pm
I like sensitive!! Wink

mommalah

Post Wed, Sep 23 2009, 7:10 pm
greenfire wrote:
I've had similar issues - but not with baby formula ... I really think it's going overboard ...

Thank You!!

It is none of the babysitters business what her employer wants her to feed the baby. Chalav Stam is not comparable to pork, ya know!

Atali

Post Wed, Sep 23 2009, 7:12 pm
Twizzlers wrote:
but why is it even the babysitters business why the child is on whatever formula it is? if I were to drop my son off with his treif formula would I have to give a whole medical history why he needs it?
my older son was on a cholov stam formula because it was much cheaper and dh wasnt bothered by the fact that such a tiny baby wasnt keeping chalav yisroel; do I need to explain all this to a babysitter?
what for?

Because the babysitter has the right not to feed something a child something that she does not consider to be kosher according to her rav.

It is actually halachicly forbidden to feed a Jewish child non-kosher food unless it is for pikuach nefesh or something. If someone does not hold by Rav Moshe Feinstein's heter it may make giving the formula a halachic issue and a rav would need to be asked first.

imasinger

This strikes me as one of those questions where the issue is more how the mother and sitter treat each other in the discussion than anything else. One would hope the two could converse with respect and sensitivity. And if not, it doesn't bode well for other interactions that will surely arise.

Atali

mommalah wrote:
greenfire wrote:
I've had similar issues - but not with baby formula ... I really think it's going overboard ...

Thank You!!

It is none of the babysitters business what her employer wants her to feed the baby. Chalav Stam is not comparable to pork, ya know!

But the babysitter has the right not to give it. If you don't like it use another babysitter.

Atali

Post Wed, Sep 23 2009, 7:13 pm
imasinger wrote:
This strikes me as one of those questions where the issue is more how the mother and sitter treat each other in the discussion than anything else. One would hope the two could converse with respect and sensitivity. And if not, it doesn't bode well for other interactions that will surely arise.

Agreed.

mommalah

Post Wed, Sep 23 2009, 7:15 pm
Atali wrote:
greenfire wrote:

The babysitter wasn't asked to violate her own standards. No one was asking about forcing the babysitter to pour chalav stam formula down her own throat. Let's not forget that this (C'S) is halachically permissible to some. I know I would certainly not send my child to someone who wants to impose her standards of kashrus on my family.

imasinger

Post Wed, Sep 23 2009, 7:17 pm
mommalah wrote:
Atali wrote:
greenfire wrote:

The babysitter wasn't asked to violate her own standards. No one was asking about forcing the babysitter to pour chalav stam formula down her own throat. Let's not forget that this (C'S) is halachically permissible to some. I know I would certainly not send my child to someone who wants to impose her standards of kashrus on my family.

Maybe the babysitter's standards were to not allow chalav stam into her house?

mommalah

Post Wed, Sep 23 2009, 7:18 pm
Atali wrote:
mommalah wrote:
greenfire wrote:

Thank You!!

But the babysitter has the right not to give it. If you don't like it use another babysitter.

Certainly. Now what if this were the first day with this babysitter. She notices the formula is (gasp!!) Chalav Stam. Does she have the right to withhold the formula from the child? Or make the mother leave work to get formula that the babysitter approves of?

Atali

Post Wed, Sep 23 2009, 7:18 pm
mommalah wrote:
Atali wrote:
greenfire wrote:

It isn't about imposing the standards on you. She isn't saying that she will only take your kid if you kasher your kitchen and only eat CY.

It is about her standards. If she does not hold CY is permissible it may be a halachic problem for her to feed it to your child, and the very act of giving it is a violation of her standards.

It is not the same as other kashrus issues. I would have no problem feeding someone else's child non-Lubavitch shechita meat or pas palter.

Atali

Post Wed, Sep 23 2009, 7:19 pm
mommalah wrote:
Atali wrote:
mommalah wrote:
greenfire wrote:

Thank You!!

Certainly. Now what if this were the first day with this babysitter. She notices the formula is (gasp!!) Chalav Stam. Does she have the right to withhold the formula from the child? Or make the mother leave work to get formula that the babysitter approves of?

I would call a rav.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions