Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus
Whole chickens?

yaeli83

Post Wed, Sep 30 2009, 4:07 am
I just bought my first whole chicken. It seems simple enough to make but Im not positive.

I want to know how to stuff it and if you know any good recipes of what to stuff it with.
Also how long should I put it in the oven and at what temp?
its about 1 kilo. a little more than 2 pounds.

thanks!

NotInNJMommy

Post Wed, Sep 30 2009, 4:13 am
Do you mean a roaster?

2 lbs is smaller than what I usually do, I usually do something closer to 4-6 lbs.

but I'll tell you what I do. I get the plastic roasting bags, and put a Tbsp of flour in the bag and shake it about. I skin the chicken for the most part, cut off bits of extra skin/fat, etc. I salt/spice the inner cavity and outside. Then, I cut up root vegetables (usually potatoes), toss them in some salt/pepper/spices/herbs, etc. and stuff inside chicken and put the rest around the chicken in the bag, tie the bag up, poke a 1/2 doz tiny holes in the bag, and bake ~350F (sorry don't know C) for 60-90 min (yours will probably be on the shorter side as it's smaller than the chickens I usually get) until it starts to brown and the legs come off easily.

yaeli83

Post Wed, Sep 30 2009, 5:03 am
thanks for the response. I realized its closer to 3+ pounds.. guess it doesn't make such a difference anyway.

Mrs Bissli

Post Wed, Sep 30 2009, 5:14 am
A few suggestions.
1. Get a meat thermostat. Since birds/ovens vary, that's the most accurate way to make sure the chicken is cooked through.

2. Rinse inside and pat-dry. (Oh, and make sure you don't cook livers/giblets if there is one in plastic bag.) I usually don't salt inside as the bird is already kashered. stuffing is totally optional--Just a bunch of chopped celery, carrots, halved onions and LOTS of garlic cloves would do, instead of starch based (bread, matza, rice) stuffings. Sometimes I just squeeze juice from 1 orange and it comes out lovely.

3. I like using a roasting pan with a rack so that all fat drains off. Keep the burned out bits to the pan--add wine/water to swish it off and make gravy.

4. Get a good carving knife (we have a long serrated one). Ask someone competent to carve. I think DH usually takes the drumsticks out, then slice off the breast meat.

5. Don't throw away the frame--makes great base for chicken broth/soup.

NotInNJMommy

Post Wed, Sep 30 2009, 5:22 am
Mrs Bissli wrote:
A few suggestions.
1. Get a meat thermostat. Since birds/ovens vary, that's the most accurate way to make sure the chicken is cooked through.

2. Rinse inside and pat-dry. (Oh, and make sure you don't cook livers/giblets if there is one in plastic bag.) I usually don't salt inside as the bird is already kashered. stuffing is totally optional--Just a bunch of chopped celery, carrots, halved onions and LOTS of garlic cloves would do, instead of starch based (bread, matza, rice) stuffings. Sometimes I just squeeze juice from 1 orange and it comes out lovely.

3. I like using a roasting pan with a rack so that all fat drains off. Keep the burned out bits to the pan--add wine/water to swish it off and make gravy.

4. Get a good carving knife (we have a long serrated one). Ask someone competent to carve. I think DH usually takes the drumsticks out, then slice off the breast meat.

5. Don't throw away the frame--makes great base for chicken broth/soup.

I second #1 and #5 from experience as well. I actually have 2 carcasses from last week I haven't had a chance to boil up yet in the freezer. I got sick the day after Tzom Gedaliah, and made some soup with a carcass from RH, and it was soooo yummy.

If I also don't make gravy (which is usually), I let the juices congeal, and take off fat and then save drippings also for soup.(or alternatively, put it all in and skim the soup).

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Sep 30 2009, 7:52 am
love a whole chicken ... mashed potato stuffing, mmmmmm !

Mimisinger

Post Wed, Sep 30 2009, 7:54 am
Make sure you take the plastic bags out of the cavity!

ra_mom

Post Wed, Sep 30 2009, 7:57 am
Mrs. Bissli and NotInNJMommy, how do you make chicken soup from an already cooked carcas? Don't all the flavors and juices from the bones dissapear into the chicken meat once the chicken has been cooked?

Mrs Bissli

Post Wed, Sep 30 2009, 8:11 am
Pretty much the same as turkey frame soup. There's always a bit of meat left as you can't carve them out completely. I usually add 1 pkg of giblets or 1/2 boiling chicken, but I think roast carcase adds nice roasted flavour and deeper colour.

yaeli83

Post Wed, Sep 30 2009, 8:43 am
yum chocolate moose, how do you make the mashed potato stuffing?

ra_mom

Post Wed, Sep 30 2009, 9:07 am
Thanks for the info!

LAmom613

Post Wed, Sep 30 2009, 12:52 pm
I make a whole chicken almost every Friday night. If you are looking for a VERY simple and very tasty way to prepare, here goes:

- Wash the chicken and remove any extra fat or tiny feathers so it loooks nice on the table.
- Put chicken tummy up in a pyrex with a tiny bit of water on the bottom.
- Cut an onion in half and stuff it into the tummy and stick a few cloves of garlic under the chicken's skin here and there.
- Surround chicken with baby carrots, mushrooms, and cubes of potato or sweet potato, if you like.
- Cover with foil and bake at around 325, and then turn up towards end to 400 and uncover to get the skin golden and crispy.

Sounds ridiculously plain and easy but people go absolutely crazy for this chicken and dont believe me that there is nothing else on it. It is my favorite way to prepare chicken, and very healthy without adding extra calories, sauces, and needless extras.

Enjoy!

yaeli83

Post Thu, Oct 01 2009, 5:29 am
If I make this chicken today/tonight, is it going to be dry tomorrow night when we eat it?

NotInNJMommy

Post Thu, Oct 01 2009, 5:34 am
I cook mine on Thursday night in those bags...and I reheat tightly covered in foil. As long as I don't over-cook it, it reheats quite nicely. For shabbos, I usually reheat and wrap it up on the counter before lichten to keep warm. For yom tov, I put it on my plata to reheat.

greenfire

Post Thu, Oct 01 2009, 6:33 am
why don't you have it prepared and pop it into the oven closer to yomtov ...

myfriends715

Post Thu, Oct 01 2009, 12:41 pm
if you are checking chicken using a meat thermometer.. remove chicken when it the reading is bet 160 and 165
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus