Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus
Salad and desserts for bochurim

yaeli83

Post Thu, Oct 08 2009, 1:57 am
we are hosting a second day meal in Israel for people who need one. It turns out to be a lot of bachurim. what do they like for salads and desserts?
advice and recipes please!!

Mrs.K

Post Thu, Oct 08 2009, 2:41 am
They like the same foods everyone else likes, as long as it tastes good! There isn't some secret bochurim menu.

That said, the salads I serve my bochurim guests include taco salad with meat, deli salad, strawberry-mango salad, and on Pesach I served the salad from this site with mandarin oranges and nuts. (I'm sorry I don't remember who posted that.)

Desserts are usually cookies, cakes, pies, etc.

But like I said there's no code. If it's yummy, they'll eat it.

Liebs

Post Thu, Oct 08 2009, 6:08 am
when I do big bochurim meals the easiest salad is dorito salad. just put lettuce,tomato,peppers-orange bag of doritos-dressindg is (plain-not charif)matbucha mixed with mayonaise. they all love it. or nashnashim sald which I dont know recipe by heart.

easy side dish is orzo with sauteed onions & colored peppers. add marg chicken soup mix pepper garlic salt make tons and they usually eat it.

dessert if want easy do rosemarie pie
if want cheap do kosher pallet choc cake instead of in 1 9x13 do in 2 9x13 so flatter and bake less time. then make vanilla ice cream and pour over it. when serve drizzle choc syrup on top.

easy IC recipe:
2 whips- whip up
add 3 whole eggs, 1 cup confec sugar, tsp vanilla

bubby

Post Thu, Oct 08 2009, 7:46 am
Liebs wrote:
when I do big bochurim meals the easiest salad is dorito salad. just put lettuce,tomato,peppers-orange bag of doritos-dressindg is (plain-not charif)matbucha mixed with mayonaise. they all love it. or nashnashim sald which I dont know recipe by heart.

easy side dish is orzo with sauteed onions & colored peppers. add marg chicken soup mix pepper garlic salt make tons and they usually eat it.

dessert if want easy do rosemarie pie
if want cheap do kosher pallet choc cake instead of in 1 9x13 do in 2 9x13 so flatter and bake less time. then make vanilla ice cream and pour over it. when serve drizzle choc syrup on top.

easy IC recipe:
2 whips- whip up
add 3 whole eggs, 1 cup confec sugar, tsp vanilla

Just a suggestion...use the pareve stuff if the salad will be eaten with fish.

MiamiMommy

Post Thu, Oct 08 2009, 7:50 am
They looooooove taco salad!

Ruchel

Post Thu, Oct 08 2009, 7:50 am
Salad? for bochurim? skip it lol
Desserts anything with chocolate and tons of sugar is fine LOL

willow

Post Thu, Oct 08 2009, 9:02 am
Ruchel that is not true. Boys do like a good salad if its done right.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Oct 08 2009, 10:08 am
"Our" Israelis like regular plain salad/food - not stuff with fruits, nuts, etc.

shabri

Post Thu, Oct 08 2009, 1:41 pm
I have a bunch of buchrim every week. Salads, they love taco, grilled chicken, cabbage salad (I make one with ramen noodles) and actually pretty much everything I make.

Desserts are usually some frozen pie--I take richs whip and choc pudding mix--whip together pur into graham cracker crust and freeze. Of oreo pie--crush up cookies (they don't have parve oreos here so just anything--mix with unwhiped richs., pour into graham cracker crust and freeze. thats it--they love it!

so nice of you to do a second day meal. remember its simchas torah so you prob won't eat until late and ppl will have had kiddush already so they won't be starved

Mrs Bissli

Post Thu, Oct 08 2009, 3:00 pm
Many of our bochrims seem to be allergic to anything green, esp green leaves. I tend to make just plain israeli salad with tomatoes/cucumbers, roasted peppers, carrot salad and coleslaw. Crudite seems to go well.

Dessert wise, anything with chocolate or usual pies (apples, apple cranberry etc) seem to go well. I won't bother too much with fussy stuff or too creamy stuff.

sped

Post Thu, Oct 08 2009, 3:09 pm
shabri wrote:
(they don't have parve oreos here so just anything--mix with unwhiped richs., pour into graham cracker crust and freeze. thats it--they love it!

Shabri - they do have oreo-type cookies here. They come in a blue shiny/metallic wrapper with a Bedatz hashgacha.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Oct 08 2009, 6:56 pm
willow wrote:
Ruchel that is not true. Boys do like a good salad if its done right.

Not those I know...

geemum

Post Thu, Oct 08 2009, 7:12 pm
For salad, stay away from (I guess) avocado, palm hearts etc anything TOO interesting. They like the food they know from home (tomato, cucumber etc) coleslaw is quite standard, as is cucumber salad.

for dessert, I think ur safest bet is an icecream based dessert, or choc mousse.

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Oct 08 2009, 7:34 pm
It also depends of the background of the guys. I often host israeli and/or sefardi guys, and they love all the israeli salads and dips- matbucha, chumus, eggplant, carrots, avocado, heart of palm, corn. I think most guys also like any salads with meat in them- chicken, deli, whatever.

I find that fresh fruit is the most popular dessert- cut up melon, grapes, berries.

MiracleMama

Post Thu, Oct 08 2009, 7:56 pm
Somebody mentioned Dorito salad. Do you mean Dorito-like chips or are there actually kosher Doritos I can buy? I have never seen this.

sim

Post Thu, Oct 08 2009, 9:15 pm
For dessert -- trifle. If you are having a lot of bochrim, make two different kinds and keep passing them around the table. They will practically lick out the bowl.
For salads -- cole slaw, potato salad, a green salad that doesn't involve fruit or unfamiliar vegetables. You might want to serve the dressing separately, or make one dressed and one plain.

Lani22

Post Thu, Oct 08 2009, 9:43 pm
MiracleMama wrote:
Somebody mentioned Dorito salad. Do you mean Dorito-like chips or are there actually kosher Doritos I can buy? I have never seen this.

Doritos are kosher in israel

yaeli83

Post Fri, Oct 09 2009, 1:49 am
thanks for the ideas. Im gonna go with a taco salad, some "dips and spreads" chumus, olive spread, maybe col slaw. etc.
probably the riches whip mixed with pudding in the pie crust and some cookies for dessert.

we'll see how it goes

Good yomtov.

shabri

Post Fri, Oct 09 2009, 6:33 am
yaeli83 wrote:
thanks for the ideas. Im gonna go with a taco salad, some "dips and spreads" chumus, olive spread, maybe col slaw. etc.
probably the riches whip mixed with pudding in the pie crust and some cookies for dessert.

we'll see how it goes

Good yomtov.

I don't know if you made it yet, but I whip 2 little richs whip with one choc pudding mix and sometimes I sprinkle choc sprinkles or choc syrup on top and freeze

shabri

Post Fri, Oct 09 2009, 6:34 am
sped wrote:
shabri wrote:
(they don't have parve oreos here so just anything--mix with unwhiped richs., pour into graham cracker crust and freeze. thats it--they love it!

Shabri - they do have oreo-type cookies here. They come in a blue shiny/metallic wrapper with a Bedatz hashgacha.

really do you know the brand?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus