Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Egg Salad

lollypop8

Post Thu, Nov 12 2009, 7:01 am
How do you make your eggs for shabbos? Looking for a creative and yummy way.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Nov 12 2009, 10:14 am
Are you serving it "zecher l'maan" ? If so, doesn't mesorah or tradition dictate how to prepae and serve it ?

Sherri

Post Thu, Nov 12 2009, 10:17 am
I don't think that our minhag is to serve it lzecher the man, rather to have onions for Shabbos (I think eggs, too, actually).

My mother used to sautee onions before Shabbos and make salad with eggs, onions, mayo and spices. Sometimes we put the eggs in the chulent, ala Yerushalayim.

Yum!

Zus

Post Thu, Nov 12 2009, 10:47 am
This is my delicious Super Egg Salad:

*5 boiled eggs, cut to small pieces
*2.5 Tbsp mayo
*1.5 Tbsp ketchup
*1.5 tsp mustard
*1 tsp sweet soy sauce
*salt and pepper to taste
*2 Tbsp sweet paprika
*0.5 tsp curry
*1 Tbsp garlic powder

Mix well

This is a must have in our house.

Last edited by Zus on Thu, Nov 12 2009, 10:53 am; edited 1 time in total

lollypop8

Post Thu, Nov 12 2009, 10:49 am
How are eggs and onions a zecher to the mun?

sped

Post Thu, Nov 12 2009, 10:49 am
I sautee onion, mash and add mayo, salt, pepper, garlic powder and sprinkle on paprika for color and taste.Alternitavely I use scallions (green onions) instead of the fried onions. Also delicious.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Nov 12 2009, 11:33 am
We've discussed this before. I understand that mohn did not have the taste of onions becuse it was harmful to nursing mothers.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Nov 12 2009, 11:35 am
I mash the eggs, add lots of finely chopped onions, olive oil and salt.
I scoop the eggs with an ice cream scooper, arrange on plates, and garnish with dried parsley.

Mystery Woman

Post Thu, Nov 12 2009, 1:15 pm
My son came home from Yeshiva last week saying that he learned that using an ice cream scoop for egg salad on Shabbos (or anything that shapes it) is halachically problematic because it is "boneh".
I was disappointed, because that is how Ii always served it. I was wondering if anyone ever asked about this, and got a different opinion.
Btw, the scoop is ok for ice cream because that is the way ice cream is always removed from the container. It is not necessarily to shape it.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Nov 12 2009, 2:37 pm
You could ask the rov but the pat answer I've been given is because the scooper is being used to scoop, not to shape.

levial

Post Thu, Nov 19 2009, 2:54 pm
We ate by a kollel chevruta of my husband's and his wife scooped her salads (chopped liver) - perhaps she does prior to shabbat on a plate, and he's a rav. I asked and he said it was permitted. (I asked because I thought her serving style was more elegant than my plopped together dish...and thought it was a best practice and would be disappointed if it were not.

Mrs Bissli

Post Thu, Nov 19 2009, 3:29 pm
Our regular shabbat eggs are HAMIN EGGS!!!

Sometimes I make oriental tea eggs too. You hardboil them first, crack the shells all over (but don't shell them) and stew in deep brown liquid made from teabags, soya sauce, pepper corn and spices (chinese five spice powder or star anise and cinamon sticks). When you peel them they have lovely marbled patterns.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus