Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Seudah challah made up of balls

OOTBubby

Post Thu, Feb 25 2010, 9:32 am
I'd like to duplicate a challah I once saw. It was made of 5 lb. flour and was made in an oval foil roasting pan. It was made up totally of balls. I asked the woman who made it, but she kind of just does it as she goes, and I'd like more specific directions.

It had one large ball in the middle with circular rows of balls surrounding it.

I'd like to get some idea of how many rows of balls should go around the center ball, and what amount (or percentage) of dough should comprise each row of balls. I'd like to achieve as symmetric a look as possible.

Has anyone done something like this that can give me more guidance?

Thanks.

Amital

Post Thu, Feb 25 2010, 9:54 am
My dh doesn't cut challah with a knife, so I do something like this every week!

But I, too, do it as I go. I think that it would depend on how much dough you are using, what size the pan is, and how many rolls. I usually do an 8 or 9 in round cake pan, and then one bigger dough ball in the middle surrounded by 6-7 medium, then just fill in the outer circle. Sorry I can't be more specific.

A few tips: don't pack the dough in--it needs space to rise. Don't coat the balls with oil or they won't stick well together. And let it rise before brushing with egg or the egg wash goes into the holes between the balls. If you wait until after it rises, those holes close up.

Good luck! Smile

Raisin

Post Thu, Feb 25 2010, 9:59 am
just do equal sized balls. you can do some brown some white for variation. I do 1 layer of balls round the centre for a small challa and 2 for a large challa. You can try 3 and see how it looks. I bake mine on a flat pan.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Feb 25 2010, 10:48 am
Like a pull apart challah. Or monkey bread. That's my favorite, too !!!

OOTBubby

Post Thu, Feb 25 2010, 11:17 am
Thanks all. I was just hoping someone would have done 5 lbs. in a foil oval roaster and could guide me as to how many balls were used so I know how to divide up the dough. I guess I'll have to wing it.

Starting to wonder if I should do it as 3 six braids (2 on bottom, 1 on top) instead. Anyone do this for 5 lb. recipe in an oval roaster?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads