Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains
Where can I get decently priced bedding sets?

5S5Sr7z3

Post Thu, Mar 25 2010, 11:05 pm
Where? And what size sheets would I get for 44" beds? They are pushed together most of the time, I dont mind getting a set that will go over both mattresses, but I am at a total loss where to start - I haven't bough a new set of linen since I got married!

momoffive

Post Thu, Mar 25 2010, 11:35 pm
Depends where you are and what you are looking for. The department store sales probably come out cheapest - Macy's or Century 21 but if you are looking for a custom size, the heimish stores are the way to go. There are a lot of them but D'Rose on 47th betw 13 - 14 has a super large selection, nice sales people and reasonable prices - considering. The cheapest is probably the domestications catalog (also online) but certainly no duvet covers. Good Luck!

bnm

Post Thu, Mar 25 2010, 11:39 pm
walk into a store and ask for last year's stuff...

5S5Sr7z3

Post Thu, Mar 25 2010, 11:45 pm
bnm, I DO NOT want the generic, overpriced Jewish stuff. Century 21 is an idea, but the closest one to me is closed Sundays (stupid NJ Blue Laws) I'm in Monsey. I am stuck trying to figure out what size sheets to get (duvets dont really matter). I think I'm just overtired and I shouldnt really be doing this at this time of the night LOL

ra_mom

Post Fri, Mar 26 2010, 12:47 am
You won't find fitted sheets for 44" beds in non-Jewish stores.
What you can do it buy a set of linen, and take the flat sheet to a local Jewish linen store, and have them make it fitted. (That is, if the flat sheet is big enough.) If not, match up your linen with a solid in the linen store, and have them make you the sheets from their material.
You also have to remember that you need to buy two of everything in the non-Jewish shops, in order to make one set.
(I've done all this. It doesn't come out cheaper than just buying a set on sale at a Jewish shop.)

sky

Post Fri, Mar 26 2010, 7:57 am
you have to buy a full size sheet, and it doesn't fit perfectly - I have done it and its doable but not perfect. Its about an extra 5 inches of material on each side so it doesn't hug the mattress.

What size quilt do you have? If you bought a full quilt from a Jewish store then the full duvet cover will not fit on it and there are no true full quilt covers, they are queen size really. If you have a twin quilt then you need a twin quilt cover with a full sheet which may be difficult to match up.

I have also found that Duvet covers not bought from Jewish stores are very expensive.

Or you can buy a full set with new duvets and use a top sheet. But the queen (I don't think they are full from what I've been told) duvets are very big on the 44" beds.

I agree with ra_mom - the sets I've bought at sales come out cheaper then buying it in the store, and it fits correctly.

mpk

Post Fri, Mar 26 2010, 1:36 pm
Check potterybarn.com to see if they have anything you like on clearance.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Mar 26 2010, 2:16 pm
I like the Jewish stores' linens the best; and I'm a huge bargain shopper; I find Century 21 and most other stores only have plain colors.

5S5Sr7z3

Post Fri, Mar 26 2010, 3:24 pm
Thanks everyone. I guess I will still shop around, or wait for some sales. Urgh! I like for things to happen NOW!!! LOL!

rowo

Post Sat, Mar 27 2010, 7:43 am
check overstock.com
I recently got linen from there. they had quite a few duvet sets.
I don't know what prices are usually like over there, but where I live decent linen is very expensive, especially when you need to buy two of everything. from overstock I bought two duvet sets and two sheet sets and it came out to less that what I would pay for one here.

5S5Sr7z3

Post Sat, Mar 27 2010, 10:44 pm
rowo wrote:
check overstock.com
I recently got linen from there. they had quite a few duvet sets.
I don't know what prices are usually like over there, but where I live decent linen is very expensive, especially when you need to buy two of everything. from overstock I bought two duvet sets and two sheet sets and it came out to less that what I would pay for one here.

I was looking at a beautiful set on overstock.com. My only problem would be the sheets - I have 44" beds. I think I will get it, and just look around some of the Jewish stores for sheets.

cookiemilk

Post Sat, Mar 27 2010, 11:28 pm
One word: IKEA. I get the comfortercovers/ sham sets and the plain kingsized sheets to match. Then I take the sheets to a Jewish establishment and get them turned into fitted sheets to match my 48 inch beds, extra deep for pillow top. the whole shebang costs me 19.99 per bed at ikea plus 18.00 for a sheet to be made at a nice heimishe store. Last time I painted my wall red and got this fantastic large flowered black and red set at ikea with matching red shams sheets and stuff. It got made into fitteds in a bout a weeks time. I am happy,a nd the whole thing with 6 extra shams did not top 150.00.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Mar 28 2010, 2:09 am
FTR, even when there are no sales advertise, ask the salespeople at the Jewish stores what's on sale. They usually have sale items available.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains