Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
Schnitzel secrets..
Previous  1  2

Flowerchild

Post Fri, Jul 14 2006, 12:19 pm
I make mine this way,

eggs
hot sauce
bread crumbs
salt
pepper
parsley
paprika

mix bread crumbs with salt, pepper, parsley, paprika. beat eggs add hot sauce. put flat chicken breast in egg then in bread crumbs.

or smother chicken with mayo, ketchup mixture with paprika, put breadcrumbs or corn flakes and bake covered.

happy2beme

Post Fri, Jul 14 2006, 12:31 pm
Quote:
keep in mind that if you use low-fat mayo, it's not going to be crispy - you have to use REGULAR mayo or it won't turn out well).

now I know what my problem was!!!!!!!!!

I keep wondering how come everyone uses mayo if mine came out so... yuch. now I know!!!!!!!!!!

mimsy7420

Post Wed, Jul 19 2006, 12:43 pm
I'm trying to think from a health/fat point of view what is better?

What does everyone think?

To coat in mayonnaise and bake?

Or to coat with egg and fry?

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Jul 19 2006, 12:44 pm
I would say the former. frying is tons more fat.

hardwrknmom

Post Wed, Jul 19 2006, 2:04 pm
I once got a recipe for Shnitzles. Dip the shnitzle into mayo and cover it with crushed garlic potatoe chips. Place it in the microwave for 10 minutes.

It's really delicious and crunchy. I don't have the exact recipe on me now.

cindy324

Post Wed, Jul 19 2006, 2:36 pm
Quote:
(keep in mind that if you use low-fat mayo, it's not going to be crispy - you have to use REGULAR mayo or it won't turn out well).

Actually Defy , I beg to differ. I use the light mayo, and it comes out very crispy!

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Jul 19 2006, 2:39 pm
What brand do you use? Last time I think I used Miracle Whip light mayo and it wasn't crispy. I think that in the past I used Hellman's light mayo and it came out fine, but I can't remember for sure if it was light or regular and I'm afraid to try it!

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Jul 19 2006, 2:42 pm
can you get it? sounds GOOD!

Sparkle

Post Wed, Jul 19 2006, 2:52 pm
For an even better taste, try mixing the mayo with BBQ sauce - and then coating with flavored breadcrumbs. YUM!

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Jul 19 2006, 3:08 pm
Sorry if this has already been mentioned.

Italian dressing also makes crispy, oven baked shnitzel.

cindy324

Post Wed, Jul 19 2006, 4:06 pm
It 's Hellman's light (not low fat) mayonnaise.It's the only thing I keep in the house so I'm sure that's what I use.

MiamiMommy

Post Tue, May 04 2010, 10:01 am
I'm bringing this topic back to life because I need help! Why does my coating fall off when it's frying?

OOTBubby

Post Tue, May 04 2010, 10:06 am
I saw someplace something about soaking the raw schnitzel in soy milk before breading and cooking to keep it juicier. Does anyone do this?

mha3484

Post Tue, May 04 2010, 10:15 am
I find panko crumbs to be way crispier then regular breadcrumbs.

yo'ma

Post Tue, May 04 2010, 10:20 am
MiamiMommy wrote:
I'm bringing this topic back to life because I need help! Why does my coating fall off when it's frying?

Is the pan and oil hot before you put the chicken in?

JavaBean

Post Tue, May 04 2010, 11:14 am
Yummy. Now I want shnitzel, mashed potatoes and green beans for dinner. (Ugh preggo cravings!)
My DH makes the BEST shnitzel in the world (IMHO-although I am really biased!)
He claims the trick is to thin the cutlets out, then dip them in egg, then into Panko bread crumbs that he mixes with Flavored bread crumbs, then again into egg and again into the bread crumb mix. He fries them in olive oil- he heats the oil before he puts the shnitzel in.
Mine never come out as good as his tho. He claims he throws in extra love in each batch...

Tamiri

Post Tue, May 04 2010, 11:26 am
MiamiMommy wrote:
Perhaps your cutlets are wet when you put the breading on and it's not adhering to the meat? That's why it's suggested to pat dry the cutlets, and flour them (flour, potato starch or corn starch are all good) before dipping in the egg and then the breadcrumbs/matza meal.

Simple1

Post Tue, May 04 2010, 11:56 am
MiamiMommy wrote:

To avoid that, you can refrigerate the cutlets after coating before frying, so that the crumbs harden on to the chicken.

Simple1

Post Tue, May 04 2010, 11:58 am
I also just recently notice that breadcrumbs stick so much better and are easier to coat with than cornflake crumbs which are courser than breadcrumbs.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey