Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Softer challah?

nylon

Post Thu, May 06 2010, 5:40 pm
My challah has a good texture (not too dense), but is a bit dry and crusty for my tastes.

(My recipe is very similar to this: http://smittenkitchen.com/2008.....read/ - I didn't get it from her, though).

My favorite commercial challah is Zomick's, and I'd like to produce something closer to that. I know Zomick's is eggier than mine, but I'm wary of just using a greater proportion of egg. Does anyone have any tips? My luck, they use some commercial dough conditioners or something!

(If your next question is why don't I just go buy Zomick's, it's $5 for a medium loaf here--talk about a splurge!)

ra_mom

Post Thu, May 06 2010, 5:57 pm
If you like a dense soft Challah, use Seraph's no fail recipe.
If you want it fluffier, use the same recipe, but proof the yeast first (per pkg directions) and allow the braided Challah to rise for a full hour instead of half an hour.

Liba

Post Thu, May 06 2010, 6:01 pm
My (not so very healthy) way of softening the crust and keeping the challah moist is to bag it right out of the oven while it is still hot. I put them in plastic bags and seal them and they come out great.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads