Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Challah Help

Ashrei

Post Sun, May 23 2010, 8:41 pm
I made whole wheat challah (recipe below), and it comes out like this:

Not that bad, it's moist. But the loaves are HEAVY, not light, and the inside is dense if you know what I mean, not fluffy and airy.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I kneeded it by hand for about 15 minutes, but I have a mixer I can use.

Thank you!
Ashrei
---------------------------------
I doubled this recipe.

Oil bowl.

Regular envelope of yeast, 3 packages
2/3rds cups of honey (1/2 cup is okay)
2 2/3rds cup of warm water (tap is fine)
Let sit for 10 minutes in bowl (don't mix) to make sure the yeast foams

Add 2/3rds cup oil (canola)
1 T coarse salt
8c whole wheat flour (7c whole wheat and 1c high gluten white flour)
1/4 c vital wheat gluten

Oil hands and kneed until very smooth. Dough could be a little wet. Oil clean bowl and put dough in and let rise for 2 hours covered, in a warm place. Punch it down for 3 minutes and shape, and let rise for another hour.

Don't put egg on top, it may not rise well.

Cook for 30 min (based on size of loaves) at 350.

louche

Post Sun, May 23 2010, 9:14 pm
Your recipe uses about twice the oil and honey that mine does for the same volume of flour, but mine uses eggs, so I don't think that accounts for the density. Did you sift the flour first? Also, how do you measure the flour? Do you spooon it into the cup or pour it in and kind of shake it to settle it? if the latter, you're usng too much flour. Unless specifically stated otherwise, recipes assume you sift the flour first before measuring, thus introducing air, which means you're using less flour than if the flour was allowed to settle.

Instead of rising 2 hours and another hour, try rising one hour, punching down, rising another hour, punching down, shaping and then rising for 30 minutes or so.

Instead of measuring in all the flour and mixing it in at once, measure in maybe half the flour, gradually add more flour only until you get a dough that's slightly tacky, like a Post-It note. You may use less than the volume of flour called for. The moisture content of the flour and even how humid the weather is on the day you bake, will affect how much flour you need. I don't find that an egg wash affects the rising; however, if I forget and apply the egg after the final rising just before baking, the "skin" on the loaf has stretched and is fragile, so the pastry brush can puncture the skin and cause some deflation.

You can also try baking at slightly lower temp. It's possible that your oven runs hot and the outside is baking too fast while the inside is underdone and dense.

In any case, whole wheat will be denser and chewier than white challah. I find that King Arthur flour is finer than the other brands (also much more expensive, alas) and yields a fluffier loaf.

Ashrei

Post Mon, May 24 2010, 8:00 pm
Thank you louche, for such a great reply. I plan to try all your suggestions.

On thing though, is that I keep hearing that the weather affects the bread, but I don't understand how. For example, what happens to the bread when it's humid?

louche

Post Tue, May 25 2010, 8:59 am
Ashrei wrote:
what happens to the bread when it's humid?

It gets moldy! Oh, you mean when you're baking it...

The flour absorbs moisture from the atmosphere, so in essence there is more water in the dough than you added. If you always add the same volume of flour, you will have a wetter dough than when the weather is dry. If you add flour till you like the texture, you will likely add more flour and get a denser dough in humid weather.

Commerical bakeries actually measure the moisture content of the flour and either reject shipments that have too much moisture or else dry the flour till it has the correct percentage of moisture. You can do the same thing at home by simply adding a bit less water in humid weather, though it would be very hit-or-miss because you're just guessing. When you make only 2-5 lbs. worth, the difference is not going to be that great--maybe only a teaspoon, if that. Depends on just how humid it is and how long it's been that way. Frankly, I don't bother taking that into consideration since I'm not that fussy and don't mind a denser challah. But if you want to be scientific about it...

Ashrei

Post Tue, May 25 2010, 1:23 pm
Interesting to know. Smile

louche

Post Tue, May 25 2010, 1:32 pm
Yeah, there are so many variables it's a wonder ancient humankind was able to develop this technology at all. Then again we have no idea what prehistoric bread was like--possibly nothing we would recognize or be willing to eat.

sarachana

Post Tue, May 25 2010, 2:11 pm
Whole wheat flour absorbes the water as its rising so you should put less water, meaning the dough should be NOT DENSE BUT A BIT STICKY! after it rises it will be fine to use as normal. Also, because its denser in general, more fiber etc, you should allow it to rise much longer and 3 times total! once after kneading, again after punching out some air, and then again after the challahs are braided. Do not allow the dough to rise in a metal bowl, use glass or plastic.... metal is reactive for the yeast! Do NOT add your salt too early, add it after half the flour has been kneaded in. place the dough by something warm to help it rise even better...it should double in size! (I preheat my oven, turn it off and then place the dough inside!)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads