Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Schools???

bagellox

Post Tue, Aug 03 2010, 10:54 am
this is me just complaining but is there a reason that rabbis expect us to have children B"H however when they reach school age the tutition for the schools is well HOLY COW!!!! how is anyone suppose to pay for it when like me we have 6 kids B"H and 1 income. It's crazy for these schools to try and get blood from a stone. it's just not there!!!! I HATE it with a passion! even w!ith a scolarship it's not enough the schools are just tooooooo expensive. Then when we decide to homeschool everyone jumps down our throats saying we shouldn't do that either it's too hard and they won't be ready for life. It's a catch 22 that is never ending. Help

gold21

Post Tue, Aug 03 2010, 11:08 am
I agree, there is a disconnect between our jewish values that encourage large families, and our jewish values that encourage private jewish schooling. how do we reconcile these 2 values? its soo expensive!!

mazeltov

Post Thu, Aug 05 2010, 3:28 pm
bagellox wrote:
this is me just complaining but is there a reason that rabbis expect us to have children B"H however when they reach school age the tutition for the schools is well HOLY COW!!!! how is anyone suppose to pay for it when like me we have 6 kids B"H and 1 income. It's crazy for these schools to try and get blood from a stone. it's just not there!!!! I HATE it with a passion! even w!ith a scolarship it's not enough the schools are just tooooooo expensive. Then when we decide to homeschool everyone jumps down our throats saying we shouldn't do that either it's too hard and they won't be ready for life. It's a catch 22 that is never ending. Help

maybe there is another option... for those of us, and there seem to be many, that find tuition too expensive and want to homeschool but are told the kids won't be ready for life due to not having social interaction, maybe we should all get together and make our own home/school, which would be like a little school with hopefully low costs. if a number of families get together and home/school their kids together, it could be a mini school with low tuition. just an idea. since there are many families that have this problem, if we all get together to form our own school, then it might even become a big school with low tuition. or a number of schools. where the parents are the board of directors and make the decisions to keep the costs low.

ysydmom

Post Thu, Aug 05 2010, 4:23 pm
please see my post about a non-profit organization to help parents pay tuition. I was asking if anyone would be interested in helping me start it, fund it. etc. I got no responses. If you would be interested in helping to get it off the ground let me know.

I would like to start it in New York, I posted it on Sunday.

Thanks.

bagellox

Post Thu, Aug 05 2010, 5:23 pm
ysydmom wrote:
please see my post about a non-profit organization to help parents pay tuition. I was asking if anyone would be interested in helping me start it, fund it. etc. I got no responses. If you would be interested in helping to get it off the ground let me know.

I would like to start it in New York, I posted it on Sunday.

Thanks.

They don't have something like that here in Baltimore - I wish they did!!!!

Mrs Bissli

Post Thu, Aug 05 2010, 5:41 pm
gold21 wrote:
I agree, there is a disconnect between our jewish values that encourage large families, and our jewish values that encourage private jewish schooling. how do we reconcile these 2 values? its soo expensive!!

Move to countries where there are public (or government-assisted) jewish schooling? Israel, UK...

mirror

Post Thu, Aug 05 2010, 6:12 pm
mazeltov wrote:

maybe there is another option... for those of us, and there seem to be many, that find tuition too expensive and want to homeschool but are told the kids won't be ready for life due to not having social interaction

Kids who interact with their parents often have better social skills than kids who interact with classmates. Let's face it: The bullies of the class make mincemeat of the lesser kids and coerce everyone else to conform. Do they really have better social skills from going to school?

mazeltov wrote:
maybe we should all get together and make our own home/school, which would be like a little school with hopefully low costs. if a number of families get together and home/school their kids together, it could be a mini school with low tuition. just an idea. since there are many families that have this problem, if we all get together to form our own school, then it might even become a big school with low tuition. or a number of schools. where the parents are the board of directors and make the decisions to keep the costs low.

I agree, but there were always be disagreements and politics, but you certainly don't need high-paying administrators to run a school when the curriculum is pretty much standardized, both Judaic and secular.

LeahW

Post Fri, Aug 06 2010, 3:43 am
Mrs Bissli wrote:
gold21 wrote:

Move to countries where there are public (or government-assisted) jewish schooling? Israel, UK...

I wouldn't recommend to anyone to move to the UK at this point in time. Things there are getting worse and WORSE. Israel, on the other hand - in the words of the famous philosopher Nietchke, JUST DO IT.

Mrs Bissli

Post Fri, Aug 06 2010, 10:59 am
LeahW wrote:
I wouldn't recommend to anyone to move to the UK at this point in time. Things there are getting worse and WORSE. Israel, on the other hand - in the words of the famous philosopher Nietchke, JUST DO IT.

And you live here?

LeahW

Post Fri, Aug 06 2010, 11:32 am
Mrs Bissli wrote:
LeahW wrote:

And you live here?

No, I have friends and family there. And I'm well-read and it's clear what is going on... I don't see why any Jew would move to the UK unless they were leaving New Zealand or some other place that is becoming less convenient, or unfriendly to Jews. Still, isn't E"Y always the preferred option if someone is uprooting their life anyway?

Mrs Bissli

Post Fri, Aug 06 2010, 11:55 am
LeahW wrote:
Mrs Bissli wrote:
LeahW wrote:

And you live here?

No, I have friends and family there. And I'm well-read and it's clear what is going on... I don't see why any Jew would move to the UK unless they were leaving New Zealand or some other place that is becoming less convenient, or unfriendly to Jews. Still, isn't E"Y always the preferred option if someone is uprooting their life anyway?

Hmm a good point. We definitely know many people who moved from S.Africa, France, but quite a number of Israelis Americans and Canadians who move here mainly for work or for marriage. At the same time we also know many (though not more) people who made aliya from UK so your comments are fair.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Aug 06 2010, 12:11 pm
It's not just school. A Jewish life costs more to live in general. Food, etc.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics