Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Eating less than a shiur on Yom Kippur

dara

Post Tue, Sep 14 2010, 7:15 pm
What sort of food does one eat if told to eat less than a shiur?

rivpom

Post Tue, Sep 14 2010, 8:57 pm
Usually I have heard of people drinking from a shot glass or eating a small piece of cracker. I always have ensure on hand when I am fasting pregnant, in case I need to eat less than shiurim, so I know I am at least drinking something nutritious. That was a suggestion that a midwife gave me a few years ago. Really, I would stick with drinking and forget the eating, because hydration is really the biggest concern. Hatzlocha.

dara

Post Tue, Sep 14 2010, 8:59 pm
my doctor told me to eat. I've never been told to eat before! crackers could work, ensure is a good idea too. thanks.

amother

Post Wed, Sep 15 2010, 5:52 pm
My dr just told me I cannot fast on YK. I spoke to my rabbi and he said that you drink 1 shotglass of liquid every 3.5 minutes. Water is a waste, so drink powerade or vitamin water. For food, it's also 1 shotglass of food - measured by water displacement, so you cannot go by the serving sizes on package labels. You have to fill a shotglass with food and eat that every 7 minutes. Food like crackers are a waste, according to my rabbi. He says that you should eat food like yogurt, tuna, cottage cheese, egg salad etc that have protein in them.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions