Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Break-away challah breaks b4 eating-good for lechem mishne?

yo'ma

Post Wed, Nov 17 2010, 11:01 am
We had a break-away challah this past shabbos, but when I took it out of the plastic wrap, a few pieces fell off. It didn't really affect any of the other pieces. Do you know if it would have been good for lechem mishna/e? We had another one, so we used that one. I broke all the pieces off and put it in the freezer for rolls instead Smile .

louche

Post Wed, Nov 17 2010, 11:24 am
CYLOR, but per a shaila I asked my own rav, if a challah breaks partway through but stays together when you hold the larger part, it's OK. If a part breaks off completely, it's no longer a whole loaf and is possul for lechem mishneh. If you formed separate loaves that expanded and stuck together during baking, if they are still clearly whole when separated, IOW no part of the challah actually broke off, it's Ok for lechem mishneh, even though it has a "scar" where the loaves were stuck together.

Breakaway challahs are not individual rolls that happened to stick together but are intended to be used as one loaf. Therefore I believe portions that broke off are not usable for lechem mishneh. But don't quote me as IANAR.

suzyq

Post Wed, Nov 17 2010, 11:33 am
I actually have heard the opposite and that's what we hold by (I always make pull-apart challahs because my DH has an easier time with them). I was told that each individual section can be considered a full challah of itself, and can be used for lechem mishnah. I guess calling your LOR would be best.

yo'ma

Post Wed, Nov 17 2010, 12:04 pm
suzyq wrote:
I actually have heard the opposite and that's what we hold by (I always make pull-apart challahs because my DH has an easier time with them). I was told that each individual section can be considered a full challah of itself, and can be used for lechem mishnah. I guess calling your LOR would be best.

I wasn't asking that, I was asking if the rest of the challah is good as a "whole".

Depressed

Post Wed, Nov 17 2010, 11:55 pm
So use the "rolls" as lechem mishna

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Nov 18 2010, 11:42 am
I'm wioth Louche.

artikidove

Post Thu, Nov 18 2010, 11:44 am
We hold that each piece is an individual roll so I also make them for lechem mishna
CYLOR!!!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions