Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Has tacts left our society?

amother

Post Sun, Nov 21 2010, 11:35 am
I am asking this question from personal experience but I'm asking because I am wondering if it's just MY friends or it's the new world out there. (dont make the post about me finding new friends because I'm already on that path)

I am finding that people are losing tact and the ablitiy to have common decency. I fault it on email, computer, texting, etc. I feel that the line between what we do or do not say outloud has been shifted because there is more allowance for it through technology.

For example, on this website people say pretty rude comments to one another and in my life people have said to others things like "why are you asking about the Cohen bar mitzva, what do you care what shul it's in you're not going to be invited to it anyways?"

I dont believe that the person who said the comment is an evil person, I just believe that she has lost her moral compass. When texting or emailing there seems to be this anonymity, you dont need to see the persons facial expressions reminding you of the evil thing you just said, you dont have to see the hurt in their eye and it's just words on a screen.

so what are you experiencing?

mandksima

Post Sun, Nov 21 2010, 12:38 pm
I think a lot of it has to do with how something is said and the tone of voice used, neither of which is discernible over an internet post. "What do you care?", for example, can be said light-heartedly and matter-of-fact and not at all mean and flippant. I guess give the benefit of the doubt that people aren't trying to be as rude as you think (although they may be trying!)

octopus

Post Sun, Nov 21 2010, 12:39 pm
nope, tax has not left our society. still payin' them.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics