Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
How to get rid of a mishigas?!?!?

kiwi

Post Thu, Dec 23 2010, 1:31 pm
my two year old has a 'mishigas' to grit his teeth and touch his face.. how can I stop it? I cant tolerate it.. I feel like punching him every time he does it..
mishigasen are my pet peeve and this is so nerve bugging..
he can sometimes pause what he is doing in order to grit and touch his face.. it's really bothersome..'
any ideas? lately I started yelling at him for doing it.. feel bad but I cant keep back.

AlwaysGrateful

Post Thu, Dec 23 2010, 2:37 pm
You know that the more attention to pay to something, the more a kid wants to do it...positive or negative...

Honestly? I would ignore it. Things like that bother me too (although I can't really envision what you're describing).

cc

Post Thu, Dec 23 2010, 2:52 pm
Is he aware he is doing it? Maybe it's not intentional

ra_mom

Post Thu, Dec 23 2010, 2:58 pm
Is this new, or has he always done this?

HindaRochel

Post Thu, Dec 23 2010, 3:01 pm
I don't think it is really intentional. Did you talk to your peditrician about it?

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Dec 23 2010, 3:19 pm
I remember that dd used to strongly blink her eyes. It made her look like she had "special needs". (Nothing against children with problems, you understand.) Anyway, I encouraged her to "blink lightly and sweetly, like a princess" and BH that did it.

Kiwi, you have to think of a way to outsmart the child.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Dec 23 2010, 3:28 pm
Is he closer to two or three? Any other unusual behaviors, changes in digestion, other changes? Your dr. will ask.

kiwi

Post Thu, Dec 23 2010, 5:40 pm
AlwaysGrateful wrote:
You know that the more attention to pay to something, the more a kid wants to do it...positive or negative...

Honestly? I would ignore it. Things like that bother me too (although I can't really envision what you're describing).

I didnt mean just touch his face.. it's actually rubbing his cheek with his pointy finger... like doing a circle motion.. and he grits his teeth along with that.. he just turned two and doesnt really understand that it bothers me... when I pull away his hand he gets mad.. I dont know how to sweet talk him out of it.. it can be embarrassing sometimes.. when he plays with kids and then pauses and starts rubbing his cheek,, like a twitch..

sarahmalka

Post Thu, Dec 23 2010, 6:18 pm
Ignoring is one tactic, also distraction. Hand him a toy or cracker or something he would really like, to get his hands away from doing whatever it is you don't want. (This applies to nose-picking too!)

But it might also be worth it to see if there's something more to the behavior, some anxiety that is leading him to do this self-soothing.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Dec 23 2010, 6:33 pm
If it's a tic, it might be a sydrome.
If it's something new, it could be Pandas (connected with strep - treatable).
Check it out with you doctor. Hatzlacha Rabba!

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Dec 23 2010, 6:38 pm
It might be sensory issues. Does she doing anything else that's concerning to you?

Post Thu, Dec 23 2010, 6:42 pm
sarahmalka wrote:
Ignoring is one tactic, also distraction. Hand him a toy or cracker or something he would really like, to get his hands away from doing whatever it is you don't want. (This applies to nose-picking too!)

But it might also be worth it to see if there's something more to the behavior, some anxiety that is leading him to do this self-soothing.

I agree.
My son was stuttering so badly that it drove me crazy. I would even make fun of him sometimes bec it was so annoying. I ignored it (advice from everyone including imamother) and it went away a few months later.

Another idea like above said- get him to use his hands when he does it. Trick him into doing something else. Maybe itll help.

gp2.0

Post Thu, Dec 23 2010, 9:47 pm
Might he have a toothache/cavity? Ask a dentist that is experienced with children.

gp2.0

Post Thu, Dec 23 2010, 9:49 pm
I'm just thinking of what I do when a tooth hurts. Does he always rub in approximately the same place?

Happy18

Post Thu, Dec 23 2010, 10:32 pm
If its not a cavity then it sounds like its sensory related. I'm sorry its annoying. Maybe try ignoring it for a little while (as others mentioned) hopefully it will happen less frequently.

amother

Post Fri, Dec 24 2010, 8:14 am
I'm not comfortable with the advice to ignore it, especially if there are sensory issues involved. I can't recommend the right course of action and hope someone who has experience here can.

amother

Post Fri, Dec 24 2010, 8:54 am
Talking from "experience" with these things, I've seen amazing results from, as many amothers mentioned, the ignoring "method". I would say, now its a bit too late, as its gonna take much longer to get rid of it. When a kid, no matter what age starts doing something annoying, YOU MUST IGNORE IT!! No matter how much it annoys you (which is your issue) They don't know they're doing it. And by you "letting them know" they're doing, AND being annoyed by it, they only become self conscious about it, and it harder to stop (besides the fact that you're embarrassing them) if you ignore it FROM THE BEGINING it will pass with the time. and again if it bothers you, work on yourself!!

MiamiMommy

Post Fri, Dec 24 2010, 9:11 am
Please mention this to your pediatrician. He/she may have some good advice.

When my DD was little she used to scrunch her nose up (like she had to sneeze) all the time. It drove me crazy, but I ignored it and one day I noticed she wasn't doing it anymore. She's 10 now KAH and has no tics BH.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics