Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
HELP! DS terrified of the big bathtub

Tapuzi

Post Sun, Mar 27 2011, 9:05 am
My 21 month old DS only wants to bathe in his plastic infant to toddler bath. We have always bathed him in it while its in our regular bathtub. Months ago I tried to transition him in to the big tub and he did not like it so I went back to the plastic tub. He does still fit in it, its not like his legs hang over or anything, but it's kind of ridiculous. Now if we go to my parents' house he is absolutely hysterical if I try to put him in the regular tub. Last night I tried to get in the bath myself with him and it did not help at all. He was sobbing hysterically and would not move his arms from my neck. What do I do? How can I get him comfortable in the big bath?

sugarplum

Post Sun, Mar 27 2011, 12:39 pm
Try having him play in there with out water.edited to add if that doesn't work you can play in there (maybe withthe whole fam LOL ) and hopefully he'll join. I don't think you should force him at all.

SingALong

Post Sun, Mar 27 2011, 3:15 pm
Maybe get him some bath toys, especially bath crayons my kids love those. Even just some plastic boats and you can play with him. Even put toys in the bath floating and sit with him outside the bath and let him see the toys, ask him if he likes them and wants to play. See if making it more fun will work

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Mar 27 2011, 3:17 pm
or bubbles. or big lego even.

Tapuzi

Post Sun, Mar 27 2011, 9:07 pm
Thanks, everyone. I did try bubbles, but I haven't tried having him play with toys in the tub while he is outside, I will try that. I definitely don't want to force him but at some point it will be crazy. Last year he loved the baby pool, I hope he's not scared of that now, too.

amother

Post Sun, Mar 27 2011, 9:20 pm
Kids go through stages, fear of the bath is a common one.

Definitely try different toys and the bath crayaons. Does he like any cartoon characters? I found some Sesame Street bath cartoons on-line for my kids to watch so they could see how much fun Elmo and Earnie have in the tub. Also, you could download some fun coloring sheets of bath time.

You could try easing him into it, like letting him stand in the tub while you bathe him and then work your way up (down?) to sitting. It's frustrating but this too shall pass.

newmother

Post Sun, Mar 27 2011, 9:31 pm
I had the same problem and my MIL bought ds a bath toy that he can only play with in the bath and now he loves taking baths! It took him a couple of months to be comfortable sitting in the bath (he would stand and play) but b"h now he is ok sitting as well. Good Luck!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics