Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Tongue tied and other feeding issues - any therapists here?

life'sgreat

Post Mon, Dec 12 2011, 9:00 pm
My girls are 4 months old KA"H. One of them seems to be nursing well, but can't keep the pacifier in her mouth. She likes the pacifier and will only fall asleep with it in her mouth, but she doesn't even 'grasp' it with her lips. I have to put a blanket (light) over her pacifier in order to keep it in when she goes to sleep as she doesn't fall asleep otherwise. It's really weird that she just doesn't know how to keep her pacifier in her mouth. She doesn't even attempt to close her lips around the pacifier. What can this mean? Is this an indication that she might also not be nursing well? Does this need therapy?

The other one seems to have tongue tie, but I'm not sure. She also seems to nurse well, but it seems like her tongue is 'connected' all the way to the tip. I'm not sure how to explain it and what to do, if this is even a concern?

Thanks

Bliss

Post Tue, Dec 13 2011, 2:23 am
For once, you have questions, and a lot. lol.

If a baby has a tongue tied you can see it and they usually can't suck properly so it's obvious much earlier than 4 mos. You can bring it up for you dr just to be on the safe side. And as far as I know, a tongue tied needs a snip, not therapy. Now, not having a grasp on a paci doesn't have to be this, it could just be the brand. Are you using a nuk? I find that one to be difficult for the kids to suck on, especially the silicon. Maybe it's too small for her. My kids never fit into the newborn size. They wanted the bigger ones that were as big as their whole face (almost) lol.

Otherwise, how are they doing?

bnm

Post Tue, Dec 13 2011, 11:51 am
try the next size pacifier- each kid is different, my daughter used the newborn one till she was 7 months old and was able to put her lips over the whole pacifier, my son preferred the larger size right away. ask your pediatrician about the tongue tie, at this age should just be a simple snip.

happyone

Post Tue, Dec 13 2011, 1:40 pm
Early Intervention isnt what it used to be. It's difficult to get approved for at this age unless there's a significant delay and feeding issues affecting growth. I would start with a visit to my pediatrician. Tongue tie is an easy literally two minute fix (frenoplasty or frenectomy) as far as sucking, a speech therapist or la leche adviser can give you tips on how to support her chin and cheek to assist in proper sucking. An evaluation should come at the recommendation of your pediatrician if she suspects low muscle tone in the oral facial area.

life'sgreat

Post Tue, Dec 13 2011, 8:28 pm
Thank you for the responses. I will bring it up with my pedi.

Seraph

Post Wed, Dec 14 2011, 1:29 am
I would speak to a lactation consultant, not a doc, because sometimes docs miss tongue ties that lactation consultants pick up on.

skazm

Post Thu, Dec 15 2011, 4:29 pm
my sister is a great lactation consultant and a nurse, too - L'via 201 801 0784

amother

Post Thu, Dec 15 2011, 4:41 pm
life'sgreat wrote:
My girls are 4 months old KA"H. One of them seems to be nursing well, but can't keep the pacifier in her mouth. She likes the pacifier and will only fall asleep with it in her mouth, but she doesn't even 'grasp' it with her lips. I have to put a blanket (light) over her pacifier in order to keep it in when she goes to sleep as she doesn't fall asleep otherwise. It's really weird that she just doesn't know how to keep her pacifier in her mouth. She doesn't even attempt to close her lips around the pacifier. What can this mean? Is this an indication that she might also not be nursing well? Does this need therapy?

The other one seems to have tongue tie, but I'm not sure. She also seems to nurse well, but it seems like her tongue is 'connected' all the way to the tip. I'm not sure how to explain it and what to do, if this is even a concern?

Thanks

I'm an SLP, plus I've got two kids with tongue tie. There is more than one type, and in most cases if the child is eating properly, there is no reason to cut it. With time, the skin stretches, and there's nothing these kids can't do. I'd ask the pediatrician, and if there's an issue, there's a good chance that you'll be referred to an SLP/feeding therapist.

The pacifier thing - unless she seems hungrier than normal, or has trouble nursing, I wouldn't worry. Some kids just don't "take" to pacifiers. It never hurts to ask, though!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics