Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Pesach Recipes
How do you ground almonds?

sleepwalking

Post Thu, Mar 21 2013, 6:02 am
I know I know!!You just put it in the blender, but I see these packaged in the store and they are white!! I by mistake bought whole almonds how do I ground it, it should become white?

chani8

Post Thu, Mar 21 2013, 6:08 am
The ones in the store are white because they take the outside skin off (blanched) before they chop them up.

You can leave the skins on, really.

sleepwalking

Post Thu, Mar 21 2013, 6:10 am
chani8 wrote:
The ones in the store are white because they take the outside skin off (blanched) before they chop them up.

You can leave the skins on, really.

Thanks Chani8 I appreciate your response! Won't it be drier if I keep the skin on? And is there any way I can blanch it myself?

chani8

Post Thu, Mar 21 2013, 6:47 am
Blanching it requires water. If you want them dry, then don't blanch them! After you grind them up, if the liquid is problem for you, then let them air dry or lightly roast them.

mummy-bh

Post Thu, Mar 21 2013, 7:20 am
I blanch them by putting the nuts in boiling water. Leave for a few minutes, then remove. The skins should slip off pretty easily. I leave them to dry out for a couple of hours, then put them in the food processor.

sleepwalking

Post Thu, Mar 21 2013, 7:21 am
mummy-bh wrote:
I blanch them by putting the nuts in boiling water. Leave for a few minutes, then remove. The skins should slip off pretty easily. I leave them to dry out for a couple of hours, then put them in the food processor.

Thank you!

ETA If I put it in the oven straight after blanching them will it also get dry?

mummy-bh

Post Thu, Mar 21 2013, 7:33 am
I've never tried.
This morning I wanted to make nut cookies and I didn't want to wait hours for the nuts to dry after I blanched them, so I ground them whilst they were still damp. They were fine in the recipe. I'm not sure I would use them in a cake recipe where everything is so delicate because of the separated eggs.

abound

Post Thu, Mar 21 2013, 7:36 am
Is it much better in cookie recipes if they are blanched? Or is it just for the color?

flowerpower

Post Thu, Mar 21 2013, 7:37 am
I just used the processer yesterday to ground whole almonds. It actually has a better taste than the store bought ground ones.

abound

Post Thu, Mar 21 2013, 7:39 am
I usually ground whole almonds and do not blanch them, I am just wondering if it tastes better blanched or is it just for the color?

sleepwalking

Post Thu, Mar 21 2013, 7:40 am
flowerpower wrote:
I just used the processer yesterday to ground whole almonds. It actually has a better taste than the store bought ground ones.

Did you ground them with their skin on?

flowerpower

Post Thu, Mar 21 2013, 7:45 am
Yes I did. I made cookies and they came out white as it was supposed to. Why the work of blanching them?

sleepwalking

Post Thu, Mar 21 2013, 7:46 am
flowerpower wrote:
Yes I did. I made cookies and they came out white as it was supposed to. Why the work of blanching them?

Great thanks!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics