Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Erased faces ?!?!?!
Previous  1  2  3  4

amother

Post Sun, Mar 02 2014, 2:55 am
good thing I don't have girls, because it would give me an inspiration for some wicked satire. I think for Purim I'd at least fantasize about dressing them up shawls and blurred face masks and send them to these neighborhoods. Anon because I'm a sniper satirist.

mimivan

Post Sun, Mar 02 2014, 2:59 am
greenfire wrote:
did they really erase the little girls' faces for purim costumes on page 5 ... what are they haman ?!?!?!

http://weeklylink.com/weekly-I.....ssue/

Next they'll twirl their graggers at any mention of Esther in the Megillah... because it isn't modest.

DrMom

Post Sun, Mar 02 2014, 3:05 am
mimivan wrote:
Next they'll twirl their graggers at any mention of Esther in the Megillah... because it isn't modest.

In his *previous* elementary school, my son received an richly illustrated Megillat Esther scroll (a paper pretend scroll; not a claf, obviously) --- with pictures of Queen Esther's face conspicuously absent.

Either she wasn't shown at all, or she was shown from behind, or someone's hand was raised in such a way that it just so happened to block her face. Cool

Maybe someone will petition to rename it Megillat Mordechai.

mimivan

Post Sun, Mar 02 2014, 3:39 am
DrMom wrote:
In his *previous* elementary school, my son received an richly illustrated Megillat Esther scroll (a paper pretend scroll; not a claf, obviously) --- with pictures of Queen Esther's face conspicuously absent.

Either she wasn't shown at all, or she was shown from behind, or someone's hand was raised in such a way that it just so happened to block her face. Cool

Maybe someone will petition to rename it Megillat Mordechai.

kind of defeats the purpose if they could still see her body...oops...don't want to give them any ideas...burkah babe Esther?

Debbie

Post Sun, Mar 02 2014, 4:14 am
This is not so much an issue of a blurred face but in a Jewish advertising publication in London there was an advert for Purim costumes,it showed a few children and at the back was a girl of about 6 or 7 years old and in front of her was a boy with his arm stretched out so that most of the girls face was blocked from view;a few pages further was another Purim advert showing kids in costumes but this one showed a boy wearing a dress;maybe it's just me but I don't get why it's not okay to show the face of a little girl but it is okay to show a picture of a similar aged boy in a pretty dress.
Perhaps I'm missing something!

tigerwife

Post Sun, Mar 02 2014, 4:33 am
Do people really get offended from this? I don't think the publishers think less of females at all, rather they are trying to push some extreme level of tznius, which is more of a protection reason.

I'm not defending the practice, I'm explaining the motive. Manikins would be a classier way for them to do this, but I guess the costumes look better on a live model.

I really don't find it offensive. Maybe unprofessional.

I find it more offensive when women are used wrongly in random ads- and yes, that s-xy woman, will definitely sell more cars. Or power drills. Or paint. Barf.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics