Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Mechanic messed up-wwyd? (also story of hashgacha pratis)

miami85

Post Mon, Jun 09 2014, 6:39 pm
Car broke down in Manhattan yesterday, was towed to a place that happened to be owned by a Jew. They made a BIG repair, but even after it was fixed it was acting a little funny but driveable, called the place up and the guy said "if it's still giving you problems come in" I'm like I'm half-way home it's late, it's working I'm not going back now. Today I was working and I get back into my car after visiting a client (I do home care) and the car is DEAD--only signs of life are the security lights of the alarm system blinking lightly and a clicking noise. I call the mechanic back and the guy said "battery's dead" But I knew I had a fairly new battery, and I had just been driving an hour earlier it shouldn't have died so fast. the guy said "Dunno, might be your alternator" Mad shock --That's a big ticket item, after we just put A LOT of money into the car the day before. I didn't know if I should trust him. I called for roadside assistance from my insurance (who helped me get to the mechanic the day before) and they put me in touch with a local towing company who would get me to my regular mechanic which I trust for a mere $100 cash. Just as I'm on the phone with my husband deciding what to do a random stranger (might have been Eliyahu Hanavi for all I know) sees me with my car hood up and asks me if I need a jump and I said "let's try it"--figuring even if it's the alternator a jump would let me get in the car and drive it to my mechanic. When the guy takes off the terminal cap off the battery I saw that it wasn't connected properly shock shock shock One jump and car comes back to life. The random stranger then proceeds to tighten the terminal, checks my battery to confirm that it's OK and checks my alternator--all good to go! I was SOO annoyed, we paid that mechanic a LOT of money and THEY almost cost me another $100 to tow the car for nothing! I also lost work time because it took over an hour to get going and I needed to drive the car around so I couldn't do another case. I called the mechanic back to complain and they said "you're right, that is not up to our standard, next time you need an oil change--we'll do it for free be'ezrat HaShem". When I told this to my husband (who I must give kudos for being a doll to me during this whole ordeal) he said "why would we go into Manhattan just for an oil change--just the tolls alone makes it not worth it, just forget it." Any thoughts on this episode? Just forget it? or bargain with the guy for more compensation?

MaBelleVie

Post Mon, Jun 09 2014, 8:33 pm
Move on, and don't use them again. Life.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette