Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Kashrus issue..would you say something? To who?

amother

Post Thu, Jun 12 2014, 12:02 pm
So I was near a local kosher stand which is uncomfortably close to a non kosher stand that sells similar products and I saw the guy who runs it step away (for the bathroom?). He has glass doors to lock his stand that were not in use. There was another frum guy who frequents the area nearby but not watching the stand. I've told the owner that I don't trust the kashrus in the past because of it's proximity to non kosher food but he insisted that the glass door were locked when someone wasn't present. I didn't notice at the time but knew to check this time and they were definitely open. Yes, I'm Jewish, and I happened to be there so maybe this time food is ok (from what I understand) but what about other times when no one is around? Should I say something to him again? To rav hamachshir?

Sherri

Post Thu, Jun 12 2014, 12:41 pm
I would call the rav hamachsir.

Shira9

Post Thu, Jun 12 2014, 1:20 pm
Definitely call Rav hamachshir!

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Jun 12 2014, 1:23 pm
Sherri wrote:
I would call the rav hamachsir.

So would I.

DrMom

Post Thu, Jun 12 2014, 1:27 pm
amother wrote:
So I was near a local kosher stand which is uncomfortably close to a non kosher stand that sells similar products and I saw the guy who runs it step away (for the bathroom?). He has glass doors to lock his stand that were not in use. There was another frum guy who frequents the area nearby but not watching the stand. I've told the owner that I don't trust the kashrus in the past because of it's proximity to non kosher food but he insisted that the glass door were locked when someone wasn't present. I didn't notice at the time but knew to check this time and they were definitely open. Yes, I'm Jewish, and I happened to be there so maybe this time food is ok (from what I understand) but what about other times when no one is around? Should I say something to him again? To rav hamachshir?

Is there some halachic issue with selling kosher food near non-kosher food? I imagine that happens all the time out of E"Y and certain Jewish enclaves.

Pineapple

Post Thu, Jun 12 2014, 1:28 pm
Another vote for calling the rav hamachshir

amother

Post Thu, Jun 12 2014, 1:34 pm
DrMom wrote:
Is there some halachic issue with selling kosher food near non-kosher food? I imagine that happens all the time out of E"Y and certain Jewish enclaves.

This is in a Jewish enclave and it's real close for comfort. The stands are in a store less than six inches apart. With proper hashgacha it's definitely doable but from the little I know I'm pretty sure having the Jewish attendant leave the room with no Jewish person supervising makes the meat by definition not kosher.

DrMom

Post Thu, Jun 12 2014, 4:10 pm
It's hot, cooked prepared food? Being prepared on the spot?

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Jun 12 2014, 4:24 pm
A cold piece of deli meat can't be left unattended either.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen