Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Do you use separate stovetops for milichig and fleishig?
Previous  1  2  3  4

Raisin

Post Fri, Jun 20 2014, 9:18 am
Yup, I don't have a pareve oven so I find it very hard to make things pareve. Everything I cook is either milk or meat. (equipment) In theory I could self clean my oven weekly but in practice I rarely do.

If someone is anyway remodelling a kitchen I don't think adding in an extra oven or sink would add a huge amount and it will make your life a lot easier. I would skip the marble counter tops and spend on separate ovens.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Fri, Jun 20 2014, 9:21 am
sky, I have one sink, and I have three racks and three sink drain stoppers for milchigs, fleishigs, and pareve. I clean the sink --- scrubbing thoroughly down with Comet and then afterwards rinsing with hot water --- between milchigs and either fleishigs or pareve, and between fleishigs and milchigs or pareve.

Look, I hate having one sink. I had two sinks in NYC in a much smaller apartment. But even the house that we're just about to buy has one sink. That's just the norm here, unless you have a big kitchen. I don't have much time for housekeeping, and more times than I'd like to admit, I have milchig dishes piling up on the table because I haven't finished washing the fleishig dishes yet. So my kitchen is messy. But it's just as kosher as anyone else's.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Fri, Jun 20 2014, 9:22 am
Raisin wrote:
Yup, I don't have a pareve oven so I find it very hard to make things pareve. Everything I cook is either milk or meat. (equipment) In theory I could self clean my oven weekly but in practice I rarely do.

If someone is anyway remodelling a kitchen I don't think adding in an extra oven or sink would add a huge amount and it will make your life a lot easier. I would skip the marble counter tops and spend on separate ovens.

True if you have a big kitchen. False if you have a small kitchen.

mille

Post Fri, Jun 20 2014, 9:24 am
Sherri wrote:
I think it is much more inconvenient/challenging to keep a kosher kitchen with one sink than to keep a kosher kitchen with one stove top.

Really? It's not challenging at all. If you leave your sink piled with dairy dishes and then make a meat item, yeah, you won't have a place to put the meat item (put it on the counter and catch up on dishes!). I mean, having one stovetop also isn't challenging for me, because my rabbis don't hold that you need separate burners for meat and dairy at all... but really, the sink isn't a big deal. I've had only one sink for as long as I've kept kosher, and it's a completely non-issue if you stay on top of dishes, and a slight inconvenience if you don't.

Chickpea

Post Fri, Jun 20 2014, 9:59 am
mille wrote:
Really? It's not challenging at all. If you leave your sink piled with dairy dishes and then make a meat item, yeah, you won't have a place to put the meat item (put it on the counter and catch up on dishes!). I mean, having one stovetop also isn't challenging for me, because my rabbis don't hold that you need separate burners for meat and dairy at all... but really, the sink isn't a big deal. I've had only one sink for as long as I've kept kosher, and it's a completely non-issue if you stay on top of dishes, and a slight inconvenience if you don't.

I used to have one one sink. Anytime a utensil would fall under the sink rack I would have to keep it aside until I had time to kasher it. I used to have a whole bunch of traifed up utensils. It's a breath of fresh air having two sinks.

MaBelleVie

Post Fri, Jun 20 2014, 10:48 am
tzippibird wrote:
I used to have one one sink. Anytime a utensil would fall under the sink rack I would have to keep it aside until I had time to kasher it. I used to have a whole bunch of traifed up utensils. It's a breath of fresh air having two sinks.

Unless stuff was really hot, it's unlikely it was traif so often.

Frumdoc

Post Fri, Jun 20 2014, 11:01 am
I do prefer having 2 sinks.

My stovetop is right under a sloping roof (we live in an attic with a small galley kitchen fitted under the eaves), so any steam and I open the window/skylight which is above the stove, it replaces an oven hood but far more natural Wink . I guess my skylight is treif, but it's glass, so maybe not!

I don't cook flaishig and milchig at the same time, but why would you? I make most stuff parev anyway, mostly vegetarian/ vegan.

I worry that the next shtick is going to be a separate kitchen in case the steam from one is absorbed into the walls of the kitchen and then released when you next cook.

sky

Post Fri, Jun 20 2014, 11:07 am
MaBelleVie wrote:
Unless stuff was really hot, it's unlikely it was traif so often.

Yep, I have stuff fall in or drop stuff into the sink, but unless the water is super hot it doesn't become treif. And even then I'm not sure how often it is really treif. Especially if the sink was clean and soap was used, etc.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen