Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Tzedakkah - Chomesh

amother

Post Wed, Oct 15 2014, 4:01 am
Does anyone have any experience with the idea of giving chomesh (1/5 or 20%) instead of maaser (1/10 or 10%)? My husband is very into it, and tells everyone to do it as according to the Chofetz Chaim (I think), it will lead to increased parnassa from Hashem. Since we got married a couple of years ago, we've started doing that with my earnings as well. He always says look at your increased work opportunities since you've been doing it, but the problem is I have to work crazy hard to get the money from those opportunities. The bigger problem is I've been giving much more lately because of the bigger income (Baruch Hashem) and the 20%, and I find it extremely unsettling. I used to give 10% almost-easily because I knew Hashem wants me to give that, and it was not really mine to begin with. But with this, I feel like Hashem is calculating what I will get on Rosh Hashana with that extra 10% included, and I am just giving it away when I don't need to. I have been very nervous about making enough money lately, much more than I used to be. So I think I will speak to my husband about giving only 10% of my earnings again. But he will be so disappointed! I want him to be happy and feel like we're doing the right thing, too. He really thinks this is what we should be doing. I am almost hoping someone here will be able to convince me to still give 20%, but it doesn't seem like anyone has even heard of this concept- it's always 10% or less if someone can't afford it. Anyone with any insights???

m in Israel

Post Wed, Oct 15 2014, 4:44 am
I don't know your personal situation, and can't tell you what to do, but your husband is talking about a very real concept. The Chofetz Chaim discusses it in his Sefer Ahavas Chessed (Vol. 2, Perek 20:6), and quotes many Rishonim and Acharonim who encouraged this and promised much Bracha from it. I believe in fact that the Vilna Gaon held it was a chiyuv, although obviously we don't pasken that way.

In general it is brought down that Hashem gives increased parnassah to those who are scrupulous in giving tzedakah.

I did hear that R' Shlomo Zalman Auerbach paskened that today one should only give chomesh if they truly have everything they need and are not tight for money. But many gedolim in recent years were careful to give a chomesh to tzedakah (including the Steipler and R' Shach).

I can't tell you what to do, but you should know that your husband is not making up some new "segulah" but taking on a practice that has real sources. (Of course that doesn't mean you have to do it too if you feel uncomfortable -- but it is worth thinking about.)

amother

Post Wed, Oct 15 2014, 5:00 am
OP here - Right, he showed me the source, and is so passionate about it, which is why we started in the first place. Part of the problem I have is that it's difficult to give up money I've worked so hard for, especially because with my work I don't know when and how much the next paycheck will be. But the other part of the problem is you can say, "Hashem gives increased parnassah to those who are scrupulous in giving tzedakah," but being scrupulous means giving what you are supposed to give, not giving away more than that. Thank you for those specifics about the rabbonim- that will help a lot either way we decide.

m in Israel

Post Wed, Oct 15 2014, 6:46 am
amother wrote:
OP here - Right, he showed me the source, and is so passionate about it, which is why we started in the first place. Part of the problem I have is that it's difficult to give up money I've worked so hard for, especially because with my work I don't know when and how much the next paycheck will be. But the other part of the problem is you can say, "Hashem gives increased parnassah to those who are scrupulous in giving tzedakah," but being scrupulous means giving what you are supposed to give, not giving away more than that. Thank you for those specifics about the rabbonim- that will help a lot either way we decide.

I don't have time to check up sources, but I am pretty sure that the concept of "vechanuni na bazoas" is for maaser (meaning that you are allowed to "test" Hashem), but the general concept of Hashem giving increased Parnassah to those who are generous with tzeddakah goes beyond just giving the minimum amount required.

It is definitely not easy to give money that you work hard for "away". It may be helpful to remind yourself that ultimately the purpose of our money is to help us reach our goals of Avodas Hashem -- and if giving tzedaka in a mehudar way is something that speaks so strongly to your husband, that may mean his avodas Hashem lies in that direction.

Hatzlacha in your decision!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions