Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Taking antibiotics for strep - can I take it on Tanis Esther

boysrus

Post Tue, Mar 03 2015, 3:00 pm
Just wondered if anyone knew about this, I dont love calling my Rav, and dh is not available to do so.
On antibiotics, can I take it, and can I wash it down with water or food on a taanis.? What should I do tomorrow morning? TIA

finallyamommy

Post Tue, Mar 03 2015, 3:07 pm
Of course you can/should take antibiotics! Skipping antibiotics is a VERY BAD THING once you've already started the course, and if you take with less than a certain amount of water you should be okay. (Sorry, don't remember the amount offhand. Just take as little as you can.)

southernbubby

Post Tue, Mar 03 2015, 3:15 pm
moderately ill people don't have to fast on taanis Esther:

http://www.aish.com/h/pur/m/48971661.html

I would ask a rav what is considered a moderate illness, however. If you are weakened from the strep, no shailoh, don't fast.

boysrus

Post Tue, Mar 03 2015, 3:36 pm
strep is better already, it is a 10 day course of antibiotics and we are 7 days into them by tomrrow...

thanks fr responses!

loveandpeace

Post Tue, Mar 03 2015, 4:06 pm
Take ur meds ur health comes first. Refuah shleima

Sanguine

Post Tue, Mar 03 2015, 4:43 pm
Any tasteless or bitter pill without water is OK on a fast day (even something like tylenol for that headache). I once heard a cheekful of water but I always do without.

water_bear88

Post Tue, Mar 03 2015, 4:47 pm
Strep can come back and more serious than the initial infection if you stop taking antibiotics early. The common practice of stopping early because "well, I was feeling better! why should I keep taking medicine?" is also largely to blame for drug-resistant strains of various bacteria which kill thousands of people every year. Not saying you specifically are killing people- but PLEASE don't contribute to the problem!

Sanguine

Post Tue, Mar 03 2015, 5:00 pm
I had heard about taking pills from a Rav I know but I just googled (though I don't really know who this is)

Quote:
Is it permitted to take medicine on a fast day?

by Rabbi Naftali Silberberg

The rule of thumb is that there are three general types of medication:

1) Medicine which is critical to one's health, and missing the daily dosage can pose a serious health risk. Such medicine can and must be taken, exactly as ordered by the doctor, even on Yom Kippur. If possible, the medicine should be swallowed without liquid (or food), but if this isn't an option then the person should drink the minimum amount of water necessary in order to swallow the medication. If food must be ingested with the medicine, a rabbi should be consulted. He will prescribe the most "Halachically acceptable" method of eating.

2) Medicine which is important for one's health, but can be missed one day without posing a risk. On Yom Kippur, such medicine can only be taken without food or liquid. On all other fasts, one may take such medicine with minimum necessary amount of food or liquid if it cannot be ingested otherwise.

3) Non-critical medications such as Tylenol. Such medicines can be taken without liquid or food even on Yom Kippur. This is not considered eating. These medicines may not be taken with liquid or food on any fast day.

Be sure to consult with your rabbi if you have any doubt to which category your particular medication belongs. If necessary, he will consult with your physician before issuing his ruling.

Sanguine

Post Tue, Mar 03 2015, 5:17 pm
Sanguine wrote:
I had heard about taking pills from a Rav I know but I just googled (though I don't really know who this is)

Quote:
Is it permitted to take medicine on a fast day?

by Rabbi Naftali Silberberg

I found him - He's a Chabad Rav (his wife's name is "Chaya Mushka " Very Happy )

I think that's pretty reliable (as is the Rav I asked)

Mimisinger

Post Tue, Mar 03 2015, 5:18 pm
Can't you just take it after the fast?

LiLIsraeli

Post Tue, Mar 03 2015, 5:46 pm
I was once told not to fast on tisha b'av because I was taking antibiotics that needed to be taken with food. Tisha b'av is much more serious that taanis Esther. I would imagine it would be very easy to get a heter, but you should definitely call your LOR.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Mar 03 2015, 7:39 pm
Taanis Esther is the most meikil of all fast days. You may absolutely take your medication. I cannot pasken, though, regarding taking it with water, and if it needs food, etc. But the medication itself is muttar to take pashut halacha.

GetReal

Post Tue, Mar 03 2015, 7:57 pm
Rabbi Silberberg is a Chabad rabbi, not a Rav, but he is very knowledgeable.

acccdac

Post Tue, Mar 03 2015, 9:36 pm
LiLIsraeli wrote:
I was once told not to fast on tisha b'av because I was taking antibiotics that needed to be taken with food. Tisha b'av is much more serious that taanis Esther. I would imagine it would be very easy to get a heter, but you should definitely call your LOR.

I once had repetative strep. When I finished antibiotics, I was retested after 2 days and got a positive, was put on a new round of medication. Tisha B'av fell out on the second set of 2 day waiting period. I was told that if I was on day 9 or 10 I wouldnt have to fast but because I wasnt on meds I did have to fast.

Sanguine

Post Wed, Mar 04 2015, 4:00 am
GetReal wrote:
Rabbi Silberberg is a Chabad rabbi, not a Rav, but he is very knowledgeable.
Hate to sound unknowledgeable but Rabbi is English for Rav. Anyone with Smicha gets the respect of the name Rav so and so. In Israel no one uses the word Rabbi so I guess I need an explanation.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Mar 04 2015, 9:01 am
In some circles, including Chabad, many bochurim pass semicha tests and get the title of Rabbi but don't have the same knowledge base or experience as a rav who typically paskens.

Sanguine

Post Wed, Mar 04 2015, 10:36 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
In some circles, including Chabad, many bochurim pass semicha tests and get the title of Rabbi but don't have the same knowledge base or experience as a rav who typically paskens.
So what do you do in Israel, there's no Rabbi word? Boys/Men get smicha and then teach in Yeshiva HSs. We call then Rav Cohen... So how would I know? A Rabbi is a Rav if you speak Hebrew. Is there a Rabbi word in every language?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics