Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Serious question- how many bathrooms does an apt need?
Previous  1  2

Would you live in an apt with only one bathroom?
We already do and it's fine  
 55%  [ 20 ]
We already do and we hate it  
 22%  [ 8 ]
We could make it work if needed  
 22%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 36

imaima

Post Mon, Mar 23 2015, 8:34 am
Can't imagine potty training with only one toilet.

simchat

Post Mon, Mar 23 2015, 9:46 am
We had one bathroom when we first moved into our house, but then my daughter started toilet training... One erev shabbos dh was in the shower and dd 'needed to make nooooow!' TG we renovated our basement soon after, and now have 2 bathrooms, but now that I`m toilet training my son, it would be really hard to live with just one bathroom. I know many people that do, but with 2 preschoolers, I would find it really hard.

nylon

Post Mon, Mar 23 2015, 10:00 am
I can live with one shower/bath, since I have been in few homes where they could be used simultaneously anyway. But now that I have kids, that second toilet is perilously close to a dealbreaker. I would have to be getting something amazing to give that up.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Mar 23 2015, 10:12 am
I'm tempted to print this and show all the people who say I'm spoiled.

And we rarely have to wait in line. We somehow take turns. Btw when you're constipated you don't just hang out there waiting, it's not even healthy even if you have ten toilet apartment. We have dealt through combos of pregnant, stomach bugs, potty training. I don't see it as surviving but as sharing an apartment. I wouldn't sacrifice in town living for a house. Btw some houses one have toilet, too... or the toilet(s) is/are on another floor.

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, Mar 23 2015, 10:13 am
For years I lives with 1 toilet.
It was the 2 if us plus 3 children using it. That makes 5 people.
Honestly, it was insane and stressful all the time.

When I moved, the number one thing on my list was 2 bathrooms. If it was only 1, I didn't even bother considering it.

Raisin

Post Mon, Mar 23 2015, 10:28 am
Ruchel wrote:
I'm tempted to print this and show all the people who say I'm spoiled.

And we rarely have to wait in line. We somehow take turns. Btw when you're constipated you don't just hang out there waiting, it's not even healthy even if you have ten toilet apartment. We have dealt through combos of pregnant, stomach bugs, potty training. I don't see it as surviving but as sharing an apartment. I wouldn't sacrifice in town living for a house. Btw some houses one have toilet, too... or the toilet(s) is/are on another floor.

older european houses definitely have less bathrooms and toilets, in general. Our house is pretty old and the second bathroom was put in recently when some additions are made. I'm sure when it was brand new the owners thought they were living in luxury with an indoor bathroom and toilet while other people in those days shared outhouses.

it also makes it easier when the toilet and bathroom are not in the same room, in some ways, although in other ways that is a pain.

I would definitely not consider a house or apartment without the possibility of a second toilet.

saw50st8

Post Mon, Mar 23 2015, 10:44 am
It wouldn't be a deal breaker for me if:

1) there was a possibility of putting in another one at a later date
2) If it became a hardship, I would move

The real estate market is tough and you are going to have to give up something. If everything else works out, it might be ok.

I will say that we have 2 toilets (1 shower) and we are all bathroom users. It get's crowded sometimes :-) I would LOVE a third toilet but I doubt that is ever happening.

ValleyMom

Post Mon, Mar 23 2015, 10:48 am
This Pesach we will be 9 people with 2 bathrooms.
Six of us are girls!!

Sanguine

Post Mon, Mar 23 2015, 10:58 am
ValleyMom wrote:
This Pesach we will be 9 people with 2 bathrooms.
Six of us are girls!!
And Matza Constipates - Have fun

nyer1

Post Mon, Mar 23 2015, 11:31 am
we survived with one, but boy am I happy now that we have two.

amother
Green

Post Mon, Mar 23 2015, 12:35 pm
We have 1 small bathroom for two adults and two kids. Its doable, but pretty annoying.
We are always waiting for each other to finish. Sometimes I'm mean and go before my daughter because I have to go more badly. My newly potty trained son gets to cut the line, but we can't exactly kick someone out while they are already in the bathroom.
My dh showers in the morning, so I try to have my kids go before he takes a shower. I also make dh leave the door unlocked just in case. Basically, there isn't much privacy. I am only renting and will be out soon. I would never buy something with one bathroom.

amother
Silver

Post Mon, Mar 23 2015, 11:40 pm
We rented and had one bathroom (toilet + bath/shower) for many years, it was 2 adults and 3 kids + baby. And often many guests (sleepover and regular). We managed fine although I always left the door unlocked when taking a shower in case a kid desperately needed the toilet. The thing that bothered me most was the lack of privacy, especially when we had guests over. Waiting in line was rarely an issue.
If I were you I would get the apartment if you could eventually add a toilet. And I love Raisin's idea of installing a sink in a bedroom, for brushing teeth etc.!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics