Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Chutzpah how do you react

amother
Puce

Post Wed, Jul 15 2015, 3:04 pm
What do you do if your child is chutzpahdig.
He simply refuses to listen/do something he is being asked. (age 6)

Iymnok

Post Wed, Jul 15 2015, 3:07 pm
Pinpoint exactly what bothers you, tell him specifically what you want him to do or not to do.
Chutzpah is such a general word, he'll just get confused by "that's chutzpadik!"

alittlebirdie

Post Wed, Jul 15 2015, 3:08 pm
Time out in his room one min per year old so if he is 6 then 6 miin. I got this idea from my aunt

Stars

Post Wed, Jul 15 2015, 3:17 pm
What is chutzpah?

A child usually refuses to listen for a reason, be it hunger, tiredness or just plain fear of what is being demanded.

Before you use the word chutzpah, put yourself in your child's brain for a minute.

If your father asked you to do something you were absolutely terrified of, and you refused- how would you feel if he called you chutzpa'dig?

amother
Puce

Post Wed, Jul 15 2015, 3:24 pm
Chutzpah as in refusing to do what he's being told.
Go to bed - no - and he remains where he is
Eat with your fork - no - and he continues eating with his hands
Hang your coat in the closet - no - and it remains on the floor

anonymrs

Post Wed, Jul 15 2015, 8:16 pm
Do you ever use consequences? If yes, what? What is your usual method of dealing with not listening?

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Jul 15 2015, 8:40 pm
It depends on why. I recently started a thread here about my 5 year old. The reason why she doesn't like listening is because in her head she's actually 10 years old and she resents being treated like a 5 year old. She doesn't like being ordered around, bossed around, given a direct command, etc. She outright refuses if she's given a strict-sounding command and falls apart if she's forced to do it with timeout etc. Whereas if she's given something that sounds like a friendly suggestion that requires her thoughtfulness and responsibility, she's more likely to follow directions.

I'm trying really hard to talk to her like I would to a 10 year old. I let her figure things out on her own. If she's eating with her hands, I say in a hushed voice, "DD I put a fork near your place, did you see it?" Like the way you would to a 10 year old who maybe didn't notice the fork and you don't want to embarrass her.

Going to bed, it's helpful if they can tell time on a digital clock. DD has a hard time with transitions in general, if we're going anywhere I let her know 15 minutes in advance and remind her every few minutes so she can slowly transition to the idea. I do the same thing with bedtime, and I also note the time. We observe how bedtime is the same time every night, it's not something arbitrary that I pull out of nowhere, it's a set time that I adhere to because the clock says so, not because I say so.

Hanging up the jacket - we figured out it was difficult for DD to hang up her jacket in our closet, we brainstormed together to figure out the easiest way for her to do so and now she does it most of the time. While she was getting used to the habit I would use the "responsibility" approach like "DD I'm so glad I can rely on you to put away your jacket instead of leaving it on the floor" *DD sees jacket on floor, puts it away* I say "thank you, your help makes it so much easier for us all to live in a clean house."

I started thinking about the way I want to be spoken to. Would I appreciate it if someone told me "hang up your jacket please" like I'm an idiot, or would I appreciate it if they said "the hooks are on the wall to your left." Then I try to use the adult approach instead of the child approach.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics