Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
How much do tutors get paid?
1  2  Next

amother
Powderblue

Post Mon, Aug 03 2015, 2:33 pm
I am curious. I know it will vary by subject, demand, quality and experience of instructor and of course neighborhood.

But I am so in shock from what we are being charged, I am curious to hear the whole range of prices and see if this woman is even anywhere on the spectrum.

P.S.... strictly asking about tutoring (math, reading, hebrew, whatever.....) and not therapy.

amother
Ecru

Post Mon, Aug 03 2015, 2:35 pm
In my community, tutoring usually costs between $50-$60 an hour, depending on experience.

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, Aug 03 2015, 2:39 pm
2 years ago I was charging (and getting paid) $80/hr.

sourstix

Post Mon, Aug 03 2015, 2:42 pm
living in lakewood I paid 40$ a half hour.

Last edited by sourstix on Mon, Aug 03 2015, 2:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

OneSource

Post Mon, Aug 03 2015, 2:42 pm
It really does vary. I was looking for a tutor for my daughter for second grade math and was quoted between $20-$70 per hour. I wound up going with a tutor who charges $30 per hour and this is a college girl that has a focus on chemistry. She's very good and reasonable. I've interviewed several married women and two college age Tuoro students who all wanted $50-$70 per hour and I was shocked by what they were asking for teaching such a basic subject. But hey, if the market supports it - good for them! This is in Brooklyn, btw.

mha3484

Post Mon, Aug 03 2015, 3:13 pm
When I was in school 20+ years ago, my mother paid 60 dollars an hour for long time teacher who had retired. She was very popular in our area. My cousin with a masters degree was teaching children executive functioning skills in a high income area and was charging $100 per session.

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Aug 03 2015, 3:34 pm
I pay $45. I use him 6 days a week otherwise he is $60 an hour and plenty busy.

cnc

Post Mon, Aug 03 2015, 3:38 pm
I'm in Brooklyn. $60 an hour is very average. (Talking about specific subjects like Math Science etc...)

Raisin

Post Mon, Aug 03 2015, 4:47 pm
I'm sure you can get a high school student for much less but obviously they will not have nearly as much experience. But you never know, some people are natural teachers and might be excellent.

Maya

Post Mon, Aug 03 2015, 4:48 pm
$75-80 an hour, in Monsey area.

sky

Post Mon, Aug 03 2015, 5:08 pm
$25 - half hour mishnayos. but it was on the low end.

I was recently told, that for English reading, if someone has a good degree and has taken extensive training in reading methods they can charge starting $100 per hour.

Last edited by sky on Mon, Aug 03 2015, 5:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Aug 03 2015, 5:08 pm
Wow these prices are amazing. Here on the left coast it's about $25 in my town for HS maths and sciences. There are cheaper options, you can sign up for income based tutoring via the local university's college of education and get low cost or free tutoring based on your income.

alef12

Post Mon, Aug 03 2015, 6:14 pm
$35-$100 based on training/skills

Yes, it's a wide range. The $35 end is more for a high school student to do homework with your kid, $100 was a young woman with a masters degree who had a specific program she had developed to teach reading to LD child.

yidishmamma

Post Mon, Aug 03 2015, 6:39 pm
I'm paying 65$ for my duaghter. She's doing basic first grade stuff with her. Reading handwriting math. She goes once a week and then I have homework to do with her

amother
Powderblue

Post Mon, Aug 03 2015, 7:17 pm
alef12 wrote:
$35-$100 based on training/skills

Yes, it's a wide range. The $35 end is more for a high school student to do homework with your kid, $100 was a young woman with a masters degree who had a specific program she had developed to teach reading to LD child.

Ding, ding, ding!!! And we've hit the right number. I guess she is at the highest end of the spectrum but not somewhere in outer space as I was suspecting. Good to know.

Appreciate all the responses!

tigerwife

Post Mon, Aug 03 2015, 7:20 pm
I think I want to try tutoring a bit now!

amother
Powderblue

Post Mon, Aug 03 2015, 7:24 pm
tigerwife wrote:
I think I want to try tutoring a bit now!

LOL

cnc

Post Mon, Aug 03 2015, 8:06 pm
amother wrote:
Ding, ding, ding!!! And we've hit the right number. I guess she is at the highest end of the spectrum but not somewhere in outer space as I was suspecting. Good to know.

Appreciate all the responses!

Does she have a degree?

I know someone with a specialized Education degree that charged $65/hour around 7 years ago, so $100 is on the expensive side but not really so outrageous I guess.

Butterfly07

Post Mon, Aug 03 2015, 8:27 pm
It depends on location. Where I grew up tutoring was about 25/hr But if you drove down the road about 10min, tutoring was about 50/hr (it is about location and what people can afford.)

Optione

Post Mon, Aug 03 2015, 9:03 pm
I charge $80/hour and have the credentials to back that amount.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children