Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Want to start school/program - ISO input and experiences
Previous  1  2  3

seeker

Post Wed, Sep 02 2015, 11:56 pm
How did you do the feasibility studies and financial projections? Did you hire someone to do it for you? If so what is that kind of person called? I'm assuming you have to get initial funds raised to even do that Confused

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Sep 03 2015, 12:04 am
seeker wrote:
How did you do the feasibility studies and financial projections? Did you hire someone to do it for you? If so what is that kind of person called? I'm assuming you have to get initial funds raised to even do that Confused

We have a very vibrant congregation and it's filled with professionals such as atnys, CPA etc. So our initial work was done with in house volunteers. Once the committee got rolling they established working groups under a specific committee member. Those groups moved forward with specific tasks, studying recruitment of teachers, physical construction issues, insurance, state board of education curriculum requirements etc. We used to joke that the whole congregation was either a member of a working group or cooking to feed a committee. We used project management software to track every teams process and progress.

seeker

Post Thu, Sep 03 2015, 12:14 am
That's amazing. I wouldn't even know where to begin finding people like this Sad
So you had a congregation already, and they built their own school? Just trying to get the story straight, even though it looks like that won't be the path for me (because no congregation)

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Sep 03 2015, 12:26 am
seeker wrote:
That's amazing. I wouldn't even know where to begin finding people like this Sad
So you had a congregation already, and they built their own school? Just trying to get the story straight, even though it looks like that won't be the path for me (because no congregation)

Yea that's about how it worked. Understand too that we are very left wing MO so we really thought outside the box in some areas and in other areas used good business sense.

seeker

Post Thu, Sep 03 2015, 12:36 am
How far outside which box? Getting more and more curious!

seeker

Post Fri, Sep 04 2015, 3:03 am
So here's my revised concept:
I am sure there are people who are looking for a different type of school even without having any special needs, just due to ideological or practical disagreements with current schools (most of which seem pretty similar in most ways, problems are the same all over)

My "dream school" for any kid would involve a focus on healthy lifestyle, personal development (and not just "middah of the month" type but social/emotional skills type), thinking skills (as opposed to just information processing - I'm sure all schools theoretically aim to develop kids' thinking skills but there still seems to be a great deal of emphasis on quantity of information over quality of learning skills), and personal responsibility. No kid should feel like they are just being put through some kind of factory where they don't matter as an individual and education is just something that happens to them; I want the kids fully invested. Including letting the kids be involved when the facilities need improvement - it will enhance their personal responsibility and empowerment while also developing problem-solving and useful life skills. Also might cut down on maintenance costs, though can't be sure because running student programs also comes at some cost. Of course at the same time we'd have the same standards of kodesh education as the regular schools, but again with more of an emphasis on learning skills and personal responsibility rather than dictated quantities of how much information to crunch through in a given time.

In any case, what I'm trying to say is that a good all-around school would also by its very nature be a more appropriate placement for kids who have mild special needs or for other reasons need an alternative environment. But nobody needs to feel like they are sending their kid to a second-rate "special" school because the school will already be special in good ways - you're sending your kid to that exciting progressive new leadership academy. OK not every family is going to go for this but you only need a few, and the ones with special concerns will be able to live with the idea of things being a little different for the sake of what they'd get out of it. Personally I'd send my kids just for the healthier meals and the sustainable garden science lab and stuff. I can't be the only one.

goforit

Post Fri, Sep 04 2015, 8:58 am
seeker wrote:
I am sure there are people who are looking for a different type of school even without having any special needs, just due to ideological or practical disagreements with current schools (most of which seem pretty similar in most ways, problems are the same all over)

My "dream school" for any kid would involve a focus on healthy lifestyle, personal development (and not just "middah of the month" type but social/emotional skills type), thinking skills (as opposed to just information processing - I'm sure all schools theoretically aim to develop kids' thinking skills but there still seems to be a great deal of emphasis on quantity of information over quality of learning skills), and personal responsibility. No kid should feel like they are just being put through some kind of factory where they don't matter as an individual and education is just something that happens to them; I want the kids fully invested. Including letting the kids be involved when the facilities need improvement - it will enhance their personal responsibility and empowerment while also developing problem-solving and useful life skills. Also might cut down on maintenance costs, though can't be sure because running student programs also comes at some cost. Of course at the same time we'd have the same standards of kodesh education as the regular schools, but again with more of an emphasis on learning skills and personal responsibility rather than dictated quantities of how much information to crunch through in a given time.

In any case, what I'm trying to say is that a good all-around school would also by its very nature be a more appropriate placement for kids who have mild special needs or for other reasons need an alternative environment. But nobody needs to feel like they are sending their kid to a second-rate "special" school because the school will already be special in good ways - you're sending your kid to that exciting progressive new leadership academy. OK not every family is going to go for this but you only need a few, and the ones with special concerns will be able to live with the idea of things, being a little different for the sake of what they'd get out of it. Personally I'd send my kids just for the healthier meals and the sustainable garden science lab and stuff. I can't be the only one.

Agudah Israel of America regular education and the special education department should be able to help you 2127979009

amother
Jade

Post Fri, Sep 04 2015, 9:16 am
I don't know if anyone's brought this up, but Gesher in the Five Towns sounds like this. They only go up to 1st grade, but maybe you should talk to Chava Bodner about how she did it. This is, I believe, their fourth year and they been remarkably successful and do a great job. We really could use more schools like them, as they alone can't serve everyone who needs it.

amother
Peach

Post Fri, Sep 04 2015, 9:25 am
seeker wrote:

In any case, what I'm trying to say is that a good all-around school would also by its very nature be a more appropriate placement for kids who have mild special needs or for other reasons need an alternative environment. But nobody needs to feel like they are sending their kid to a second-rate "special" school because the school will already be special in good ways - you're sending your kid to that exciting progressive new leadership academy. OK not every family is going to go for this but you only need a few, and the ones with special concerns will be able to live with the idea of things being a little different for the sake of what they'd get out of it. Personally I'd send my kids just for the healthier meals and the sustainable garden science lab and stuff. I can't be the only one.

What would be the hashkafa of the school?
Girls or boys or co ed?
Tv and internet allowed?

amother
Royalblue

Post Sat, Jan 02 2016, 10:47 pm
Any update on this? Are you opening a school? Will it be for boys?

seeker

Post Sat, Jan 02 2016, 11:44 pm
Unfortunately for me personally the update is that I took a deep reality check, realized that I need to keep my old job for financial purposes which leaves me with a whole lot less time available than the 24/7 required to do something zany like start a school, and decided that even if I'm not so sure our current school is the best fit for DD we're safest just sticking with it unless it becomes actually bad rather than just questionably not ideal.

I still harbor fantasies but they're back on the back burner. I did do a little toying with the idea that maybe a homeschool co-op could be an option for people looking for a really personalized school but with some group programming and power. But of course that requires a whole other set of logistics, namely a group of parents who can afford to dedicate their lives to this, which a school would need too but in a very different form.

If you're looking for something for boys you might want to check out Haor Beacon. They're not going to be the right match for everyone but they do have a very solid program and I'm impressed with the people running it. I do not know of an equivalent for girls.

To the person who mentioned Gesher - it sounded like it could be a GREAT fit for me personally, but alas the logistics of commuting to 5 Towns as well as the financial aspect which I was told is not at all reimbursable by DOE - between the two, the option was prohibitive. If it were just one or the other then maybe I would have tried harder. But especially because it's only until 1st grade, it would have been a ton of effort just to have to do the school-hunting/switching thing again a year or two later. Alas Sad

happy to be me

Post Sun, Jan 03 2016, 4:39 pm
seeker wrote:

If you're looking for something for boys you might want to check out Haor Beacon. They're not going to be the right match for everyone but they do have a very solid program and I'm impressed with the people running it. I do not know of an equivalent for girls.

deleted
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics