Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Sugarfree
Previous  1  2

allthingsblue

Post Tue, Oct 27 2015, 9:29 am
zaq wrote:
I am quite aware that many if not most Ashkenazi balabostes cook in an abysmally unhealthy way. However, I refuse to believe that OO has NO recipes in any of her wedding-gift cookbooks for Shabbos foods that don't call for added sugar. I admit I don't troll the Net for chicken soup recipes, but I don't believe I have EVER seen one that called for adding sugar. Commercially prepared foods are full of totally unnecessary garbage, but do normal people really put sugar in potato kugel? Say it ain't so.

BTW, the "If G-d had meant" line is a very old and well-known-to-be-satirical expression. I am fairly confident that veggies were meant by G-d to be tasty, but a combination of overuse of the soil, overuse of chemical fertilizers and breeding for such qualities as long shelf life, high yield, and resistance to pests, have stripped the produce of its intended flavor.

Thanks for enlightening about the "if G-d had meant" line.
I agree with your principles wholeheartedly, just was wondering whether you thought everyone was on the same page as you.
Now I see that your sarcasm was lost on me...

5*Mom

Post Tue, Oct 27 2015, 9:35 am
If you are having a diabetic guest you need to find out specifically what foods they can and should not eat, because managing diabetes is about much more than eliminating added sugar.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Oct 27 2015, 9:48 am
allthingsblue wrote:
I'm surprised at this post of yours, since usually you have such level headed, open minded posts. You certainly understand that not everyone cooks like you or shares your taste preferences, don't you? I, for one, certainly enjoy chicken and meat with some sugary sauces (sesame chicken, chicken Marsala, many meatball recipes, to name a few popular dishes) but since I know sugar is unhealthy, I try to save these for special occasions. Why on earth would you assume that if G-d meant chicken to be sweet , He would have made it as such? Can't you say the same about everything, such as vegetables (why add spices? If they were meant to be savory and not bland, they would have been created as such etc) and every other food item?
Unfortunately many people are unaware of the harmful effects of sugar and use it as a staple in cooking. Just because you don't cook that way doesn't mean that other people don't...

I love to bake, and do it often. But no, I don't add sweetener to protein either. I personally enjoy it but enjoy it without as much, and my family is not into sweet protein. I've seen some cookbooks that barely have a single chicken recipe without some added sweetener.

Happydance

Post Tue, Oct 27 2015, 1:01 pm
zaq wrote:
Scratching my head here. Except for lokshen kugel and cake, what else would I make for Shabbos that has added sugar?

Challah
salad with sweet dressing
apple cobbler with strudel topping
sesame chicken
greenbeans in teriyaki sauce
honey roasted potatoes
chocolate cake!
mmmmm

this seriously used to be my shabbos menu...

now its more like
WW Challah with minimal sugar
broccoli kugel
garlic greenbeans
chicken pastrami rolls
roasted sweet potatoes

feeling much better Smile
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus