Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Please tell us what Mishloach Manos you like to get
Previous  1  2  3  Next

cm

Post Tue, Mar 08 2016, 10:55 am
It's back! This thread disappeared for a while while I was trying to respond earlier. How strange...

Oh how I love home baked goods, except for hamantaschen which are usually better store-bought. They can all be used for dessert at the seudah.

I confess to a sweet tooth, and I enjoy (wrapped, store-bought) candy bars, fruit gems, and so on, for a holiday treat.

"Healthy" snack foods, such as cereal bars and veggie chips - depends on the specifics but we use some of those at home anyway.

mommyla

Post Tue, Mar 08 2016, 11:09 am
We have friends who give sectional veggie platters with ready-to-eat vegetables (cucumbers, peppers, cherry tomatoes), crackers or breadsticks, and the best dip ever. MM deliveries take forever here because we have a ton of them and traffic is crazy, so we (kids included) pull over at some point and devour the whole thing. It's great to get some healthy food in us and then I don't feel so bad when the kids eat ANOTHER piece of candy.

A neighbor gives two fresh iced coffees and two muffins. Brunch on the go! And the perfect pick-me-up.

We also get "real food" (usually franks in blanks, mini potato puffs, egg rolls, etc.) from a family member - that usually gets eaten fresh, sometime in the afternoon. It really helps to get normal food in throughout the day.

That said, I still don't give any of those because of the work involved... but I don't give random yucky food to match a theme or an overload of junk. A mini liquor, high-quality chocolates or candies, wrapped up nicely and that's it.

amother
Yellow

Post Tue, Mar 08 2016, 11:42 am
I think that this thread is great. we can see what peoples thoughts are- but I can't help but feel a bit sad as this wasn't what Mordechai and Esther had in mind when this whole thing started---- a separated salad platter, deli rolls...... I also like making a nice shaloch manos, but sometimes even I get carried away. I remember that as a child my parents use to give apple/ orange, a few chocolate peices and a hamantashen. now people think of themes months in advance. I love cute themes too, but sometimes I just feel that this is out of hand.
I am not criticizing or trying to be mean. I have enjoyed reading this thread, but a part of me wonders what Mordechai and Esther would say.

pointyshoes

Post Tue, Mar 08 2016, 12:29 pm
Cheesecake!!

L K

Post Tue, Mar 08 2016, 12:33 pm
amother wrote:
I think that this thread is great. we can see what peoples thoughts are- but I can't help but feel a bit sad as this wasn't what Mordechai and Esther had in mind when this whole thing started---- a separated salad platter, deli rolls...... I also like making a nice shaloch manos, but sometimes even I get carried away. I remember that as a child my parents use to give apple/ orange, a few chocolate peices and a hamantashen. now people think of themes months in advance. I love cute themes too, but sometimes I just feel that this is out of hand.
I am not criticizing or trying to be mean. I have enjoyed reading this thread, but a part of me wonders what Mordechai and Esther would say.

I kind of hear you and for me personally it would be too much preparations, at this stage in life.
However, for my friend who has no kids in the house and is a great balabusta- why not?
She gets tons of simple ingredients like eggs and vegetables, cooks or bakes them and cuts them into salads. Why not? Not too hard to prepare (if you have time that is, not if you're a mom of a dozen under 12), wholesome, tastes good etc.

Eta: and if I had time and koach, I'd probably bake trays of burekas or something similar, tasty and filling to give out. Simple, nutritious, presentable and economical. Again, why not if you have the resources?

Happydance

Post Tue, Mar 08 2016, 12:55 pm
amother wrote:

The purpose of Shalach Manos is to increase love and friendship. In our day and age, when we have so many specialty food/decorative items available, its such a healthy, creative outlet for women to use to show a gesture of friendship. Why not use her creativity and ability to create beautiful things for a Mitzva?

I guess the competition can make this beautiful thing a bit of a pressure... its a shame we get caught up into the competition

debsey

Post Tue, Mar 08 2016, 1:01 pm
amother wrote:

Why not? You are supposed to send something that enhances the seuda. If I get a deli roll, it's going right onto my seudah table (or coming with me as a contribution to wherever I am invited). I love getting iced coffee and danish, especially if it's homemade danish or a homebaked muffin. YUM. Breakfast on the go, perfect for eating as you shepherd your little Queen Ester to her Morah's house.

I'm so much happier with a ready-to-eat food than with candy or oranges. Who has time to peel an orange on Purim? I don't need more candy in my house, but salads or deli rolls - YUM!!!!

gold21

Post Tue, Mar 08 2016, 1:05 pm
amother wrote:

Why would mordechai and esther object to wholesome homemade food mm?

The themes, on the other hand.... yeah. Not my thing.

pause

Post Tue, Mar 08 2016, 1:35 pm
I don't like getting milchigs because I become fleishig early on in the day, about 1:00 with the first meal. Most MM we get later on, and then I can't eat all those yummy stuff! So if you're sending me yummy milchige muffins, cheese balls or cheese babka, please do so in the morning hours when I can still enjoy them!

zaq

Post Tue, Mar 08 2016, 1:50 pm
Anything Pesachdik.

anotherima

Post Tue, Mar 08 2016, 1:51 pm
A sectional tray with cut up fruit or vegetables.

rachel6543

Post Tue, Mar 08 2016, 1:54 pm
I like getting healthy packaged snacks I can eat at work. Or fresh fruit. And things I can use for Pesach.

MrsDash

Post Tue, Mar 08 2016, 2:02 pm
If I know the person, I love getting homemade baked goods. Real homemade food is good too Very Happy

mfb

Post Tue, Mar 08 2016, 3:00 pm
Home made food, or cookies from those I know well, and good milchig chocolate from those I don't know well.

N'sMom

Post Tue, Mar 08 2016, 5:07 pm
I like getting real food that can be eaten before the seuda (instead of all of us just stuffing with sugar). One year we got deli sandwiches, which DH enjoyed, but for my part I love getting a nice salad or cut up fruit.

amother
Seagreen

Post Tue, Mar 08 2016, 6:41 pm
amother wrote:

Totally hear you. I'm not a balabusta and not into making elaborate MM so we're escaping to my in-laws for Purim so I don't have to make anything fancy for my friends at home. Too much pressure. Sad

spring13

Post Tue, Mar 08 2016, 7:15 pm
Honestly, I'm happy to get anything that is an actual complete item of food, not just scraps of candy or whatever. I've seen people do very cutesy things with themes that involved baggies with a few minimarshmallows and pretzels in the them (or something like that), but that kind of thing is pointless to me. I don't mind some wrapped candy, or packets of snacks, or homemade items that are actually edible and not just themed whatever. Mini grape juices are always handy.

N'sMom

Post Tue, Mar 08 2016, 7:20 pm
Another thing that I like getting is treats that are Kosher le'Pesach. One year I got a double-wrapped package of Pesach chocolate, etc. That way you can enjoy what you get when you are not drowning in goodies.

Volunteer

Post Tue, Mar 08 2016, 8:10 pm
A few years ago, my friend got me a homemade dinner kit with cooked seasoned beans, tortillas, shredded lettuce, and tomatoes, and taco sauce. It was perfect: a light, healthy dinner or lunch .

Ms.MaryMack(inblack)

Post Wed, Mar 09 2016, 1:26 am
Schmerlings chocolate from pple I don't know well.
Homemade ready to eat goodies from pple I know well.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics