Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Is this a waste of space? Kitchen plans
Previous  1  2

Raisin

Post Thu, May 05 2016, 2:48 pm
We have a kind of similar layout. But instead of the island bang in the middle of the floor we've placed it so it kind of makes a wall to the kitchen, leaving a space to walk in and out. eg it juts out from the wall where your stove is at a right angle.

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, May 05 2016, 2:59 pm
Raisin wrote:
We have a kind of similar layout. But instead of the island bang in the middle of the floor we've placed it so it kind of makes a wall to the kitchen, leaving a space to walk in and out. eg it juts out from the wall where your stove is at a right angle.

Sorry really dont understand. The island is on a angle?

amother
Chocolate

Post Thu, May 05 2016, 3:10 pm
I designed a big fridge and big freezer in my old house in the kitchen. I just designed a new kithen in my new house and I put an extra freezer in my basement and have 1 large fridge freezer in my kitchen. I like this much better cuz with the kids constantly opening the freezer, the food like chicken etc. Doesn't stay fresh. In addition it causes the freezer to break. I also didn't make an island, it wasn't an option space wise but I have lots of counter space and I'm very happy bh.

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, May 05 2016, 3:14 pm
Rubber Ducky wrote:
Hmmm, that's a real trek to the dining room. Not great.

The space between the island and wall counters will be about 38" — counters extend beyond cabinets. The stove may extend even farther out, so yes, it starts to get dicey. Moving the stove to the lower left will mitigate the clearance problem.

Airy look? Islands are generally counter height so that shouldn't be a problem. Same with a peninsula if you don't hang uppers above it.

Why 38 inchs? 3.5 feet is 42 inchs the counter sticks out 2 inches on each side?

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, May 05 2016, 3:18 pm
amother wrote:
Why 38 inchs? 3.5 feet is 42 inchs the counter sticks out 2 inches on each side?

If I read the drawing correctly, that' 3'5", not 3.5'. That's 41". Counter overhang is usually calculated at 1.5" to extend beyond doors and door hardware.

pause

Post Thu, May 05 2016, 3:20 pm
I would definitely put a peninsula rather than the island. I would have it jutting out from where the oven is now.

I think it makes for more efficient cooking/baking with more counter space within easy reach and less traffic in the work area of the kitchen.

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, May 05 2016, 3:49 pm
Rubber Ducky wrote:
If I read the drawing correctly, that' 3'5", not 3.5'. That's 41". Counter overhang is usually calculated at 1.5" to extend beyond doors and door hardware.

Wow we totally missed that! You have very good eyes! Thank you.

Raisin

Post Thu, May 05 2016, 3:49 pm
amother wrote:
Sorry really dont understand. The island is on a angle?

basically what pause just described.

All the counters are in a big u shape. From the top end of the U (where your oven is) the big counter juts out. on the far side there is an overhang so we can use it as a breakfast bar.

kind of like this design. http://www.janelockhart.com/po.....b.jpg

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, May 05 2016, 3:58 pm
pause wrote:
I would definitely put a peninsula rather than the island. I would have it jutting out from where the oven is now.

I think it makes for more efficient cooking/baking with more counter space within easy reach and less traffic in the work area of the kitchen.

Peninsulas actually create dead space. I've had both.

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, May 05 2016, 4:00 pm
http://I.imgur.com/tQClHBr.jpgP

Raisin

Post Thu, May 05 2016, 4:05 pm
I would also go with a smaller fridge freezer in the kitchen and extra freezer space in another room.

Coffee Addict

Post Thu, May 05 2016, 4:21 pm
andrea levy wrote:
Peninsulas actually create dead space. I've had both.

I agree. I had pininsula in the past. Now I have a island, I love it.

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, May 05 2016, 4:40 pm
Do you want to invite people into your cooking space or keep them out? The island blurs the line between the kitchen proper and the dinette; the peninsula creates a boundary.

Downsides to a peninsula include:
1) stove placement — it will probably force a range or a cooktop to the peninsula and you may need an island hood that impinges on your "airy" desires, and
2) you will lose some easily accessible upper cabinet storage. You may lose some storage overall.

Upsides include uncrowded, easy to navigate spaces between the counters. You will not lose counter space; the proposed island is narrow and the peninsula could be wide.

Also, is there a pantry here someplace that I missed? You could put some shallow tall storage on the top wall in the dinette area and/or against the coat closet sideways facing the kitchen — the entry to the kitchen is very wide; you won't miss losing a foot there.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen