Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Sensory issue?

amother
Blue

Post Thu, May 05 2016, 8:07 am
I'm trying to figure out if my dd has a sensory issue and/or it needs treatment?
Dd is a very bright 7 year old.
The issue I'm 'concerned' about is as follows:
She doesn't like wearing shoes or crocs. The second she comes home her shoes go flying. I make her put on her crocs, they come off very fast. I tried soft slippers, she doesn't seem to wear them for too long. She does keep her tights on
She can't wear her earrings for too long. I put them on for shabbes and by Friday night she's already taking them off
Same with necklace, bracelet or watch.
She loves jewellery and keeps on asking me to buy her more which I do because I love it as well. But she hardly wears it. We just bought her a new expensive watch (she asked for afikoman) and I wonder how long she'll wear it.

Is it something that needs checking out?

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, May 05 2016, 8:14 am
She sounds exactly like my DD. She likes to play dress up, but for every day she is very "no frills, no fuss". Anything in her hair is sheer torture. She also despises shoes with a passion.

IMHO, unless your DDs preferences are getting in the way of her living her life, I wouldn't worry too much. If she's having a huge meltdown every morning getting dressed, then you need help. If she just doesn't like wearing shoes in the house, let her go around in her tights. (You're lucky she'll wear tights. My DD hates them, too.)

I wouldn't buy a 7yo anything expensive as an accessory, but I don't see anything wrong with having a jewel box full of dime story costume jewelry. Save up your money for her bas mitzvah, and get her something meaningful in 14k gold.

(Oh dear, I just realized how old I am. I wrote "dime store" instead of "dollar store"! embarrassed )

amother
Mauve

Post Thu, May 05 2016, 8:23 am
OT here. Your daughter sounds very normal. Everyone has different preferences in terms of clothing choices and sensations they do or do not enjoy. Children do not have to like everything, and many if not most kids take their shoes off at every opportunity. There is only a concern when the sensory preferences begin to impact on her daily life and ability to function in her routines.

amother
Blue

Post Thu, May 05 2016, 8:58 am
amother wrote:
OT here. Your daughter sounds very normal. Everyone has different preferences in terms of clothing choices and sensations they do or do not enjoy. Children do not have to like everything, and many if not most kids take their shoes off at every opportunity. There is only a concern when the sensory preferences begin to impact on her daily life and ability to function in her routines.

Thanks for ur reply. It bh doesn't impact on her daily life. She does wear her shoes on the street and to school and she puts them on when she gets dressed in the morning.

amother
Blue

Post Thu, May 05 2016, 9:00 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
She sounds exactly like my DD. She likes to play dress up, but for every day she is very "no frills, no fuss". Anything in her hair is sheer torture. She also despises shoes with a passion.

IMHO, unless your DDs preferences are getting in the way of her living her life, I wouldn't worry too much. If she's having a huge meltdown every morning getting dressed, then you need help. If she just doesn't like wearing shoes in the house, let her go around in her tights. (You're lucky she'll wear tights. My DD hates them, too.)

I wouldn't buy a 7yo anything expensive as an accessory, but I don't see anything wrong with having a jewel box full of dime story costume jewelry. Save up your money for her bas mitzvah, and get her something meaningful in 14k gold.

(Oh dear, I just realized how old I am. I wrote "dime store" instead of "dollar store"! embarrassed )

First of all love ur posts FF

Dd does like to wear hair accessories and man does she have many... I can open a store... styles change all the time and I'm totally in to getting her a matching hair accessory to every shabbes outfit and some weekday. U can tell she's my only girl... for now.

And btw dime store or dollar store... doesn't matter here... I use £ pounds sterling!! Very Happy

the world's best mom

Post Thu, May 05 2016, 12:20 pm
Nothing you've said tells me your kid has sensory issues.

A normal kid may dislike wearing shoes at home. A sensory kid would tantrum for an hour every time she has to put the shoes on to go out. A sensory kid would absolutely refuse to get dressed EVERY MORNING because the stripes on her clothing hurt her too much. A sensory kid would rather stay home all day than put on her shirt with a tag/zipper/button/picture/etc. in it because they are too painful. Just some examples.

seeker

Post Thu, May 05 2016, 1:40 pm
Well, TWBM, sensory covers a range and they are not all as extreme as you describe. A person can have quite a lot of dysfunction without quite that much tantruming and pain.
However, OP, I still don't think anything you've said indicates cause for concern. It could be that you are concerned for some reason, sometimes mother's intuition sends a signal we don't fully understand, but the specifics you're describing here do not sound like they are intruding on her life in any significant way.
My only advice to you would be to stop buying expensive jewelry until she's bigger Wink

amother
Blue

Post Thu, May 05 2016, 2:42 pm
seeker wrote:
Well, TWBM, sensory covers a range and they are not all as extreme as you describe. A person can have quite a lot of dysfunction without quite that much tantruming and pain.
However, OP, I still don't think anything you've said indicates cause for concern. It could be that you are concerned for some reason, sometimes mother's intuition sends a signal we don't fully understand, but the specifics you're describing here do not sound like they are intruding on her life in any significant way.
My only advice to you would be to stop buying expensive jewelry until she's bigger Wink

Thanks. I started thinking of the issue when we bought her afikoman watch. She only wanted a ice watch. We ended up finding one on eBay for half the price (brand new)
She got it today and so far it hasn't come off yet

Dolly Welsh

Post Thu, May 05 2016, 5:28 pm
Gloriosky she's seven years old. Let her alone. She's a little kid. They like to run free and not have stuff on them. Their skin is more sensitive and they are so young they are still learning what it feels like to be them. Additional stuff on them feels burdensome. All through life one's feelings can change about that kind of thing. Sometimes you love the feeling and sometimes you just don't and you don't wear what you used to wear.

This is very personal. I would let it absolutely alone.

She is seven!

She needs her autonomy. Let her have her boundaries.

Water Stones

Post Thu, May 05 2016, 6:42 pm
Hi,
I am 20 years old next week. Since all my past I can remember, I hate any thing touching my feet, like shoes, socks and even I have to sleep with feet off the mattress bed. But it do not bother me if my feet get touch from pedicure ladys or DH. I have sensory to my face too, like make up and ear rings. And on my head, I do not like head covering.

I still wear shoes and stockings and ear rings and sheitle and teichel, I can do it fine. I still do nt like it the feeling, but it can able to do it ok and not thinking about it. I got use to it.

May be if your girl gets older and she still cant get used to it, the sensory problem have to have a doctor to talk to help.

I still now sleep with my feet dont touch the bed mattress, but it's my home so it's ok.

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, May 05 2016, 6:48 pm
Seashells how old were you when you got married? How old is your dh?

penguin

Post Thu, May 05 2016, 7:36 pm
I am googling TWBM and all I can find is Trans World Broadcasting Ministry.

seeker

Post Thu, May 05 2016, 10:43 pm
penguin wrote:
I am googling TWBM and all I can find is Trans World Broadcasting Ministry.

LOL. It's what I write when addressing "the world's best mom" who posted right before me, because her username is a bit unwieldy.

the world's best mom

Post Thu, May 05 2016, 10:55 pm
Yes! That's for sure me! The Trans World Broadcasting Ministry. Nice to meet you too.

And I suppose sensory issues can be less severe than what I described and still be sensory issues. I was just trying to show the difference between sensory issues and sensory preferences. Everyone has sensory preferences, but as long as we can live happy lives, and the people around us can live happy lives with us, then we are okay. It only becomes an issue when daily life is being disrupted because of it.

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, May 06 2016, 7:17 am
the world's best mom wrote:
Yes! That's for sure me! The Trans World Broadcasting Ministry. Nice to meet you too

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

Water Stones

Post Fri, May 06 2016, 2:37 pm
amother wrote:
Seashells how old were you when you got married? How old is your dh?

19. Hes 24.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children