Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Attn: Chicagoans

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, May 22 2016, 6:23 am
I'm currently living in Europe waiting on a greencard for my husband, but when we get it we will be moving to chicago, WRP to be exact. Once we get to the US, it will take abt 2 weeks to get the work permit, and then finding a job will take some time
And then need to save for rent deposit ...
we are currently waiting for the interview for greencard, so dont know when we would be moving. But im nervous about where we would live until we land on our feet...
so, I was wondering if anyone knows of Chessed apartments we can stay in for 3-6 months until we can get our own place.? Do u pay for rent, or is it free? If u pay, how much a month is it? How long can u stay in the apartment? Does anyone know How that works?

Thanks in advance!

amother
Navy

Post Sun, May 22 2016, 7:27 am
You can call the Chicago center for torah and chessed, they have hachnosas orchim apartments. I don't know abt a fee, I know if you stay over a shabbos they don't charge ( but nice to give a donation) I don't know how it works tho if it's more long term/undetermined amt of time.

mha3484

Post Sun, May 22 2016, 8:18 am
Sorry I don't think we have anything like that here. The most you can stay in a Chesed apartment is a week or two and they would expect some sort of donation.

doctorima

Post Sun, May 22 2016, 9:42 am
I'm not from Chicago, but that doesn't sound like a very realistic plan. I don't think anyplace will have a chesed apartment that you can just stay in for 3+ months, and especially rent-free. Anything remotely like that that existed would only be for people in dire medical straits, who are coming to town for treatment.

mha3484

Post Sun, May 22 2016, 9:46 am
You can talk to real estate agents to see if they know apartments that don't require a deposit.

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, May 22 2016, 10:10 am
amother wrote:
I'm currently living in Europe waiting on a greencard for my husband, but when we get it we will be moving to chicago, WRP to be exact. Once we get to the US, it will take abt 2 weeks to get the work permit, and then finding a job will take some time
And then need to save for rent deposit ...
we are currently waiting for the interview for greencard, so dont know when we would be moving. But im nervous about where we would live until we land on our feet...
so, I was wondering if anyone knows of Chessed apartments we can stay in for 3-6 months until we can get our own place.? Do u pay for rent, or is it free? If u pay, how much a month is it? How long can u stay in the apartment? Does anyone know How that works?

Thanks in advance!

OT, but are you sure the work permit will come through that quickly? My impression is that USCIS takes forever on processing.

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, May 22 2016, 10:51 am
I was also asking if there was apartments at a reduced rate, but I hear what you guys are saying. Thanks for ur help. Smile

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, May 22 2016, 11:00 am
How are you moving if you can't afford rent?

courage2218

Post Sun, May 22 2016, 11:08 am
hate to advocate for illegal babysitting here...

queen esther

Post Sun, May 22 2016, 11:16 am
To the original poster- hatzlacha on all the details of your upcoming move! Chicago is a wonderful city and I personally am so happy to live here. I feel like most people posting so far are just bashing your choices and being critical, and I'm so sorry. No one knows the details of your situation and we cannot judge another person's life! It might not seem that way from the posts so far, but it really is a nice and friendly city.
I don't really know the real estate situation here so well (haven't bought anything yet!) I know there are definitely apartments in some areas, especially if you are not looking in the center of "main" frum areas, that are cheaper than others so really a realtor could guide you the best in terms of low cost short term rentals. And calling the center for Torah and Chesed is a good idea, they have connections to many community resources- 7737614005. Hope you find what you are looking for and it all works out smoothly!

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, May 22 2016, 11:53 am
I also live in Chicago, and like it here. I agree that people are nice.

BUT
Moving here and setting up a new home costed thousands of dollars. If op cannot afford to rent an apartment then how does she plan on moving?

amother
Indigo

Post Sun, May 22 2016, 12:02 pm
Hi I'm in the UK and moving to New York soon. As I understand the visa situation, you get a 6 month visa when you come through the border and present your information packet that you got at the consular interview.
This serves as your temporary green card until your real proper green card comes through and permits you to work.
That's what my immigration lawyer says. Also, there's a great site called avvo.com where you can ask lawyers questions for free.
Good luck!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating