Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Excessive Touch

amother
Mauve

Post Mon, Sep 12 2016, 3:24 am
I understand that excessive touch is usually a sign of sensory issues. 5 year old DD is sensory in several ways but I'm trying to figure out her recent behavior.

Whilst she doesn't generally act out with other people she is always touching me everywhere and pulling my clothes. She sometimes feels my face, puts her fingers in my mouth, touches my nose, pokes my feet etc. She also does that to her siblings sometimes.

She also likes to hug a lot but recently she comes to me very frequently and tells me how much she loves me and hugs and cuddles several times in an afternoon. She always liked to hug but it seems excessive now. As if she wants it all the time.

There is a younger kid in school who she likes very much and plays with often, older DD said she saw my 5 year old hugging that little girl in school yesterday. Kids don't usually hug in school so I don't know what to make of it...

I had her evaluated a while back and the therapist didn't think her behavior was worrying. I have been trying to give her a lot of sensory input but I'm wondering what to do now? Anyone else have a kid with similar behavior?

imasinger

Post Mon, Sep 12 2016, 3:34 am
It does sound sensory.

You could vary her sensory diet, giving her a variety of different activities with different textures, like finger painting, clay, sand art, shaving cream, etc?

You could provide access to a swing, a trampoline, create a home obstacle course with furniture and blankets.

You could introduce her to activities where she moves a lot in different ways, like sports, gymnastics, or dance.

And you could talk to her about rules of when and how much to touch people -- family, and non family. Encourage her to ask for hugs rather than going up to people and touching them.

I don't know that you necessarily need a formal diagnosis in order to... well,... er.... handle the situation. (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

But if the issues continue, you can seek further evaluation. People do make mistakes.

amother
Mauve

Post Mon, Sep 12 2016, 3:53 am
imasinger wrote:
It does sound sensory.

You could vary her sensory diet, giving her a variety of different activities with different textures, like finger painting, clay, sand art, shaving cream, etc?

You could provide access to a swing, a trampoline, create a home obstacle course with furniture and blankets.

You could introduce her to activities where she moves a lot in different ways, like sports, gymnastics, or dance.

And you could talk to her about rules of when and how much to touch people -- family, and non family. Encourage her to ask for hugs rather than going up to people and touching them.

I don't know that you necessarily need a formal diagnosis in order to... well,... er.... handle the situation. (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

But if the issues continue, you can seek further evaluation. People do make mistakes.

Thanks imasinger! I appreciate your input.

Just wondering, did I actually say I was looking for a formal diagnoses? Scratching Head
I mentioned the evaluation bit as I was expecting responses like therapy, therapy, therapy...

Thank you so much for your concrete advice. In your opinion does a sensory diet actually mitigate the sensory need over time? How much sensory input (in the form of a sensory diet) would you recommend per day? Is it necessary to provide at least one form of sensory input every day?

amother
Mauve

Post Mon, Sep 12 2016, 10:05 am
bump

imasinger

Post Mon, Sep 12 2016, 10:44 am
amother wrote:
Thanks imasinger! I appreciate your input.

Just wondering, did I actually say I was looking for a formal diagnoses? Scratching Head
I mentioned the evaluation bit as I was expecting responses like therapy, therapy, therapy...

Thank you so much for your concrete advice. In your opinion does a sensory diet actually mitigate the sensory need over time? How much sensory input (in the form of a sensory diet) would you recommend per day? Is it necessary to provide at least one form of sensory input every day?

You clearly didn't say anything about wanting a diagnosis. I mentioned it as an option because you might get coverage for OT if you have it. It's an option, especially if you continue to be concerned.

I'd beware anyone who offers you overly definitive answers to your questions. Each child is different, and external environmental factors, like stress, sleep, diet, transitions, etc., can also play a huge role in how well things work.

Perhaps you could just try to do what you can, and see how it goes.

Carol Kranowitz's book, The Out of Sync Child, is a classic worth reading. Check your library for other books, too.

amother
Jade

Post Mon, Sep 12 2016, 10:44 am
It does sound very much like a sensory problem. I recommend seeing an OT - as they are usually the ones who help with sensory problems. In my opinion, it's worth it to do it as soon as possible with professional help, rather than try yourself. I say this from my own experience - I have sensory problems that were not treated professionally when I was a child and they still exist and interfere in my day to day life (just ask my husband). Treatment is usually relatively straightforward and will probably consist of several of the suggestions above (probably plus or minus others), but it is much more likely to work if you are guided by a professional.

Bored

Post Mon, Sep 12 2016, 11:02 am
I am finding that my sensory kids are more sensory at the beginning of the school year (as part of their adjustment) needing more cuddles, more touching, more deep rubs... good luck!

amother
Mauve

Post Mon, Sep 12 2016, 2:57 pm
Thank you. I appreciate all the advice.

I think the reason why the OT was unable to help me at the time is because DD doesn't fit into any one box and her sensitivities are pretty non-linear IYKWIM.

Has anyone here successfully helped their child overcome a sensory issue without professional help?

amother
Mauve

Post Tue, Sep 13 2016, 5:56 am
bump

Has anyone here successfully helped their child overcome a sensory issue without professional help?

amother
Mauve

Post Thu, May 04 2017, 5:32 am
Bumping this up again.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics