Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Where Should We Move in E"Y?

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 4:42 pm
We are considering moving to E"Y and aren't sure where we belong. We are either right wing MO or left wing yeshivish (who knows how these definitions work?). To be more descriptive, I cover my hair, DH is kovaya itim, no hat. Our older (grade school) children are in non-coed classes, our little ones (preschool - k) are coed. We don't have a TV but we read widely and watch carefully selected things online. Money is a big factor but even more important is finding a place with the kinds of schools and friends who will work for our children.

EM

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 4:48 pm
My father is the Rabbi of an Anglo shul in Ramat Bet Shemesh and a bunch of my siblings live there. It sounds like you would fit right into their beautiful community! Please feel free to message me if you would like his contact information, or just let me know if you have specific questions.

amother
Taupe

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 5:06 pm
Following

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 5:22 pm
Ramat Bet Shemesh is certainly on our list. What are the schools like?

EM

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 5:24 pm
amother wrote:
Ramat Bet Shemesh is certainly on our list. What are the schools like?

I know there are a lot of great options. One of my sister's sends to Bnos Malka which she loves. I'm not sure about boys schools but can find out for you. The community caters to the Anglo community so easier to find a compatible school.

MyUsername

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 10:11 am
You sound like you would fit in well in a chardal type of community. There are many in Israel, so maybe give a bit more info on what you are looking for?

City vs. yishuv
Big anglo community vs. little anglo community

Etc.

5*Mom

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 10:39 am
EM wrote:
The community caters to the Anglo community so easier to find a compatible school.

I've read this a lot recently but it's very misleading. There are a lot of Anglos here, true, but the community definitely does not cater to the Anglo community and all the schools require a major adjustment in outlook and expectations. It's important that prospective olim be aware of this.

catonmylap

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 10:53 am
Not enough info...

How do you feel about the state of Israel? How do you feel about celebrating Yom Haazmaut?

Do you expect your sons to serve in the army and your daughters to do sherut leumi?

Do you expect your children to get college educations?

Do you want to live in a city or yishuv? Do you want everyone to be just like you? (Like can it be a religious mix, or mixed religious/secular?)

Would/will you trade in your sheitel for a tichel?

amother
Natural

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 12:04 pm
Look into the Anglo communities in Rechovot too - they have two that might fit your description.

chanchy123

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 12:45 pm
catonmylap wrote:
Not enough info...

How do you feel about the state of Israel? How do you feel about celebrating Yom Haazmaut?

Do you expect your sons to serve in the army and your daughters to do sherut leumi?

Do you expect your children to get college educations?

Do you want to live in a city or yishuv? Do you want everyone to be just like you? (Like can it be a religious mix, or mixed religious/secular?)

Would/will you trade in your sheitel for a tichel?

If the answer to the top questions are positive you will fit in any DL Torani community in Israel. Otherwise you will have a tougher time finding a good fit, not impossible, but complicated.
Please specify what time of community you're interested in.

amother
Emerald

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 2:28 pm
Answers:

1. We are pro state of Israel. We would not say hallel with a bracha on yom haatzmaut but if people we knew were doing something not over the top (like a picnic) and invited us we would not say no to joining them.

2. I can see it either way re our sons and the army, depending on the kid. We have ones who I could see wanting to go into a frum unit and ones that would emphatically not. No to our daughters and Sherut le'umi.

3. Again, the question of college varies according tot he kid. At least one will, my guess is, not go. Some of the others might, and certainly most or all would have some sort of career.

4. I think we prefer a city. It can be a small city or a well set up suburb, but my kids are used to things like shopping nearby and there will be more than enough adjustments. I like the idea of a community where everyone is NOT just like me.

5. Not 100%. I could see wearing a tichel during the week but not when I dress up.

MyUsername

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 3:28 pm
Maybe look into Ramat Givat Zeev Hachadasha

amother
Emerald

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 3:42 pm
I thought it was mostly chasidish?

MyUsername

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 3:46 pm
I don't know firsthand, but I've heard that there is a new neighborhood that is mostly yeshivish style Americans. It's worth looking into, but I don't have a lot of info. If you are interested, I can ask around.

amother
Ginger

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 3:51 pm
I've heard a lot of nice things from families living in the Gush. Maybe make a pilot trip and check it out.
Know that right wing in the states is not the same as right wing in Israel. If you choose right wing, your sons will NOT have a career.

Out of curiousity, what's your objection to sherut leumi?

amother
Emerald

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 3:58 pm
Truth is, I really don't know about sherut le'umi. We have lovely friends whose daughters did it and I can't imagine my girls growing up any nicer than they did. I just have the sense that this has become less acceptable with time. I could be wrong. And my children (especially my girls) are young. We are talking about how these things will be perceived in a community that is anywhere on the "yeshivish" scale in 14 + years. So I guess I should have said "I have no idea," to those questions.

The Gush is definitely a place I would like to consider. I would just like to have several places to see when we come for the pilot trip.

WastingTime

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 4:01 pm
5*Mom wrote:
I've read this a lot recently but it's very misleading. There are a lot of Anglos here, true, but the community definitely does not cater to the Anglo community and all the schools require a major adjustment in outlook and expectations. It's important that prospective olim be aware of this.

Agreed- RBS is not as anglo from the inside as it may seem. My kids have 60-80% anglo children in their class but the kids all speak to each other in Hebrew. There are schools that are very very Anglo- but there are ones that are totally Israeli.
RBS has its different communities, including Ramat Shilo which may be appropriate for you.
I'm living here over 10 yrs and although my kids are in charedi schooling I know a lot about other schools so feel free to PM me if you need more info.

WastingTime

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 4:02 pm
amother wrote:
Truth is, I really don't know about sherut le'umi. We have lovely friends whose daughters did it and I can't imagine my girls growing up any nicer than they did. I just have the sense that this has become less acceptable with time. I could be wrong. And my children (especially my girls) are young. We are talking about how these things will be perceived in a community that is anywhere on the "yeshivish" scale in 14 + years. So I guess I should have said "I have no idea," to those questions.

The Gush is definitely a place I would like to consider. I would just like to have several places to see when we come for the pilot trip.

Neve Daniel is a beautiful place (physically and community wise I understand)

5*Mom

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 4:28 pm
WastingTime wrote:
Agreed- RBS is not as anglo from the inside as it may seem. My kids have 60-80% anglo children in their class but the kids all speak to each other in Hebrew. There are schools that are very very Anglo- but there are ones that are totally Israeli.
RBS has its different communities, including Ramat Shilo which may be appropriate for you.
I'm living here over 10 yrs and although my kids are in charedi schooling I know a lot about other schools so feel free to PM me if you need more info.

I'm not referring to the population; I'm referring to how accommodating and understanding the schools are towards Anglo culture and expectations, educationally, socially, and in terms of values. Truth is, help with language acquisition is one of the only areas where (some) schools are accommodating. With regard to everything else, even in RBS, even in heavily Anglo schools, (pssst, even in Anglo-run schools) one is expected to conform to the Israeli education culture and social rules which, it is crucial to note, are completely different than in the US. People really need to be prepared for this from the outset.

achayl

Post Fri, Feb 17 2017, 6:53 am
When we were deciding we spoke to a NbN rep quite a bit, they are tremendously helpful. We came up with a list of places that sounded good. We emailed or called the contact people on the NbN community profiles page and spoke to friends that have already made aliyah.

Then my DH and I took a pilot trip together, rented a car and drove from place to place and checked them out.

We spoke to people in the communities, and on the street and in the stores, wandered around the area malls and grocery stores etc .... and spent shabbos in the places we liked best.
We're renting at first to be sure we're happy, everyone suggested that... then we'll look to buy and settle.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating