Home

RV-ing with family for a year
Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Vacation and Traveling

Report offensive ad

View latest: 24h 48h 72h


MagentaYenta









  


Post  Tue, Oct 10 2017, 9:35 pm
samantha87 wrote:
Boondocked? Is that Mexican for back desserts?


Boondocking is an RV term for staying in remote locations without hookups.
Back to top

amother




Purple


Post  Tue, Oct 10 2017, 9:35 pm
I have a relative that did this for one week. It ended up being expensive. Campgrounds are not free, neither is showers (the one in the rv was to small for her to shower the kids). Shabbos was a problem, they went back to civilization for that.
Back to top

MagentaYenta









  


Post  Tue, Oct 10 2017, 9:44 pm
amother wrote:
I have a relative that did this for one week. It ended up being expensive. Campgrounds are not free, neither is showers (the one in the rv was to small for her to shower the kids). Shabbos was a problem, they went back to civilization for that.


RVing is not something folks should jump into. Yea if its for three days parked in Bubbies driveway you don't need to do a lot of research. If you're going out for a couple of weeks you'll need to do some research and make a budget.
Back to top

amother




Jetblack


Post  Tue, Oct 10 2017, 11:33 pm
Yes, it is expensive. We are going to try it this summer for a few weeks. Could be singing a whole different tune after that!

I too would love to go out to Montana in the middle of nowhere. My Dh and I are both in healthcare. I think we would just do locums here and there.

Probably spend a lot of Shabboses at Chabad houses. Who knows. My DH could be the 10th man for minyan at many places.

Renting an RV is ridiculously expensive. And gas.
Back to top

MagentaYenta









  


Post  Tue, Oct 10 2017, 11:49 pm
amother wrote:
Yes, it is expensive. We are going to try it this summer for a few weeks. Could be singing a whole different tune after that!

I too would love to go out to Montana in the middle of nowhere. My Dh and I are both in healthcare. I think we would just do locums here and there.

Probably spend a lot of Shabboses at Chabad houses. Who knows. My DH could be the 10th man for minyan at many places.

Renting an RV is ridiculously expensive. And gas.


It sounds like you have the right attitude.Do you have children with you? I have a dear friend who is an equine vet in a very specialized field. She has a fifth wheel, she does some locums, and consults on specialty cases across the country and sometimes South America. She loves her lifestyle. She is not a Jew and her child is grown.

There are some tiny Jewish communities in the west that would love some visitors.

When renting an RV let them know the kind of driving you will be doing. You don't want to be driving something that's low geared in the mountains. Road test the vehicle you are going to rent and make sure to test the AC while driving.

I hope to hear more about your adventure.
Back to top

shanie5









  


Post  Tue, Oct 17 2017, 9:52 pm
My parents spent 4 years rving around the country. They took grandkids with them for weeks at a time. My mom kept an online diary and we lived vicariously through their adventures. I think its definitely doable with the right attitude.

As for shabbosim, my parents always found hospitality with frum families and shuls. shabbat.com was helpful there. I think that in 4 years, they only spent shabbos by themselves twice.
Back to top

doctorima









  


Post  Tue, Oct 17 2017, 10:12 pm
shanie5 wrote:
My parents spent 4 years rving around the country. They took grandkids with them for weeks at a time. My mom kept an online diary and we lived vicariously through their adventures. I think its definitely doable with the right attitude.

As for shabbosim, my parents always found hospitality with frum families and shuls. shabbat.com was helpful there. I think that in 4 years, they only spent shabbos by themselves twice.


I would love to read more about their travels? If it's not private and intended only for family, would you be comfortable posting a link to their online diary, or could you PM it to me?
Back to top

amother




Gray


Post  Tue, Oct 17 2017, 11:26 pm
do you have young kids? If so, I would assume that most people would find it very hard to do this kind of thing with small children. I love my kids but I am so happy that succos is over and they are back in school every day for a few hours!
Back to top

shanie5









  


Post  Wed, Oct 18 2017, 12:01 am
doctorima wrote:
I would love to read more about their travels? If it's not private and intended only for family, would you be comfortable posting a link to their online diary, or could you PM it to me?


It was not a blog, just sent to an extensive email list that kept growing. My mom wrote a book based on their travels and the diary.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Home-.....0011.m1850

I could ask her if she has any copies left.

My parents were interviewed a few months ago about their travels. The interview was on facebook I think. I can try to find a link to it if you want.
Back to top

amother




Jetblack


Post  Wed, Oct 18 2017, 10:03 am
OP here. I've read snippets of "Look before you live" blog. Because DD will be starting HS, and I'm worried also about the other kids feeling "weird", I've decided to ditch the 1 yr idea. So, just summer time here and there is all we'll do, I guess.
Back to top

doctorima









  


Post  Wed, Oct 18 2017, 4:49 pm
shanie5 wrote:
It was not a blog, just sent to an extensive email list that kept growing. My mom wrote a book based on their travels and the diary.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Home-.....0011.m1850

I could ask her if she has any copies left.

My parents were interviewed a few months ago about their travels. The interview was on facebook I think. I can try to find a link to it if you want.


If it's not too much trouble, I would be interested in a link to the Facebook interview. Also, if there are any copies of her book in the NYC area, I'd love to pick one up. I have dreams of following in her footsteps one day.
Back to top
Previous  1, 2 Recent Topics

Page 2 of 2 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Vacation and Traveling

Similar Topics Replies Last Post
9 year old stealing from family - help!!!
by amother
4 Tue, Nov 20 2012, 10:08 pm View last post
13 year old and family wedding
by odchai
6 Sun, Oct 21 2007, 5:23 am View last post
[ Poll ] how much does your family make a year? 39 Wed, Jun 17 2009, 8:00 pm View last post
trips for family with four year old boy
by amother
11 Sun, Sep 22 2013, 12:45 pm View last post
family kicked off flight because of a 2 year olds tantrum
by Raisin
78 Thu, Mar 15 2012, 10:43 am View last post

Jump to:  





Report offensive ad