Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
SSI help

amother
Silver

Post Thu, Mar 22 2018, 12:12 am
Hi.
We are trying to apply for SSI for a child with a disability. I'm confused about eligibility requirements by what I read online.
regarding $, can we have our tax return $ in the bank (more then $2000) can we have life insurance?
Can someone please help me?
Thank you

amother
White

Post Thu, Mar 22 2018, 12:51 am
amother wrote:
Hi.
We are trying to apply for SSI for a child with a disability. I'm confused about eligibility requirements by what I read online.
regarding $, can we have our tax return $ in the bank (more then $2000) can we have life insurance?
Can someone please help me?
Thank you

https://www.ssa.gov/ssi/text-r.....I.htm

you appear to have 12 months to spend your federal tax refund (but seemly not state) before it counts.

life insurance policies with a combined face value of $1,500 or less don't count.

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 9:43 pm
I'm trying to find more information online, but it's not the clearest. Is SSI for a disabled child only if the parents are low income?

TY.

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 9:47 pm
I hired a lawyer to help me get SSI and it worked

notshanarishona

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 9:55 pm
amother [ Orange ] wrote:
I'm trying to find more information online, but it's not the clearest. Is SSI for a disabled child only if the parents are low income?

TY.

Yes, unfortunately , it's income based. We are also in the process of looking into it- sadly, it might be worth it for me to stop working to get the help.

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 9:57 pm
Definitely get a lawyer. They can also help with expediting the process.

amother
Coral

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 10:46 pm
If I recall correctly, you're reimbursed from the month you apply, even if you are only approved a couple months later.

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 10:52 pm
If you are in Lakewood the lrrc is helpful with information about it.

naturalmom5

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 10:59 pm
Pm me for a good attorney to ask advice

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 11:14 pm
I tried to do it. It’s very complicated. Also someone mentioned to me that if one day this child gets a job & earns $ they can take back evething you got- (don’t know if it’s true). so I dropped my efforts to get this for my child. If you find someone who can help
You please let others know. Tx!!

amother
Rose

Post Wed, Dec 18 2019, 1:09 am
It is income based. You need to be very low income to get it and it is counted towards your income for social programs but not on taxes. When we got it, we were not eligible for food stamps anymore so basically one replaced the other.
When we became lower middle class about 50k a year, it didn't pay anymore because we would get very little since it's sliding scale and it is a big hassle.

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, Dec 18 2019, 2:15 am
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:
I tried to do it. It’s very complicated. Also someone mentioned to me that if one day this child gets a job & earns $ they can take back evething you got- (don’t know if it’s true). so I dropped my efforts to get this for my child. If you find someone who can help
You please let others know. Tx!!

I can chime in on this, because DH was on SSDI and later got off. (He got on with the help of a lawyer, and his family is well-off, but he was over 18 at the time.)

You can earn a certain amount of money while on it. If you exceed this amount, you must report it and they can cancel your future benefits. We didn't report right away, and had to pay back one of the checks (they accepted a payment plan).

TBH we were so happy that DH was able to get off SSDI that we were not upset about this at all!

And today we are very happy NOT to be on it! (But at the same time grateful that it existed when we needed it.)

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Dec 18 2019, 6:44 am
To my understanding, it's not only based on current income but also considers the amount of savings you have in the bank. I think an individual cannot have more than $2,000, not sure about family but maybe around $5,000 in savings/checked accounts
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics