Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Help...Beyond David or Daniel...need "D" names for
Previous  1  2

TzenaRena

Post Sun, Dec 30 2007, 2:07 pm
Thumbs Up and some combinations are Zev Volf, also great tzaddikim bore this name. The origin is the brocha that Yaakov Avinu gave to Binyamin, clearly symbolizing inyanim of kedusha, it refers to the ways Jews recite krias Shema when arising, and going to sleep, and their zeal for Torah and Mitzvos!

Ima'la

Post Sun, Dec 30 2007, 2:09 pm
shalhevet wrote:
Have you asked a rav about naming a boy after a woman (or vice versa)? I've heard that it can do damage to the boy.

It doesn't sound like she's really "naming after" - just naming with a 'D' to make someone happy. She can phrase it "named in honor of" if they need to tell the relative that.

Btw, that's a good point s/o made - make sure this will actually satisfy the relative before you bother!

amother

Post Sun, Dec 30 2007, 2:52 pm
I think Estis & Imala made a good point. I've sadly been there done that from my parents & now with the birth of my grandchild faced the reality that they will not be happy unless every child is named the way they want it.& even then I'm sure my mother would complain if it was from my fathers side & vice versa.Instead of saying Mazel tov when my grandchild was named they screamed at me -as if I had the choice!
So after that long winded speach I would say if you have a name that YOU feel you should use or just like-use it.

He*Sings*To*Me

Post Sun, Dec 30 2007, 3:56 pm
Oh, hey! I am the QUEEN of long-windedness on here at times...I appreciate the enlightenment and insight that each of you have offered!
While useful in its own right, unfortunately my educational background/life experience is secular. My religious knowledge base cannot hold a candle to so many of you, so each of you have contributed today to expanding my knowledge base, as many of you are great learned women and I am truly humbled and grateful...
Earlier, I wrote (rather pounding away at the keyboard!) this big shpiel about this woman's undue influence in his extended family's lives, then deleted it. (Perhaps I should launch a thread wherein we could all share about specific family members who seem to have Rasputin-like power over your dh's or your own family.)
DH and I like a number of your suggestions...but have another question!
Prior to meeting, we were both greatly influenced by the teachings of the Lubavitcher Rebbe, and Chabad has a special place in our hearts. While I am a self-described Wannabe, it would be misleading for me to represent myself as being a Lubavitcher. Would it be appropriate for us to name a child after some of those whose names were mentioned above?

Question Wink

TzenaRena

Post Sun, Dec 30 2007, 6:24 pm
For sure! In itself, giving a name for any of the Rebbeim elicit many brochos for the child. "Nothing can come between Hashem and the Jewish people, even an iron wall". Just as there are no prerequirements for doing mitzvos, other than being jewish, there are no barriers in hiskashrus being connected to the Rebbeim either.

This is just a personal experience of mine: When we named our son for the Rebbe's father (Levi Yitzchak), I had been somewhat conflicted whether to give a family name, and wondered whether it was right that I didn't. (it was my choice, as the child before had been my dh's).

I opened the Igros Kodesh and the letter from the Rebbe on that page was about hiskashrus, how any act of hiskashrus gives extra kochos to the person who does it. I felt that the Rebbe was telling me that it was for my child's benefit that I had chosen this name for him.

amother

Post Sun, Dec 30 2007, 8:52 pm
you can find many choices with D at Shilav.co.il

Ruchel

Post Mon, Dec 31 2007, 1:27 pm
Yes Ber is unkosher, but you don't eat him... and Zev, Aryeh, Gimpel, Dvorah... are unkosher too. Do you also avoid Yehuda whose symbol is lion, and so on?

amother

Post Mon, Dec 31 2007, 1:36 pm
My son is an Arie... and I DO want to eat him up! ;-)

Lechatchila Ariber

Post Mon, Dec 31 2007, 4:06 pm
Ruchel wrote:
Yes Ber is unkosher, but you don't eat him... and Zev, Aryeh, Gimpel, Dvorah... are unkosher too. Do you also avoid Yehuda whose symbol is lion, and so on?

ma ze gimpel?

amother

Post Mon, Dec 31 2007, 4:08 pm
my son is ARi ALSO>,

Ruchel

Post Mon, Dec 31 2007, 4:11 pm
gimpel ze fox
Mordechai Gimpel, because he was clever like a fox

Ruchel

Post Mon, Dec 31 2007, 4:12 pm
gimpel is from old French "goupil" Tongue Out
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names