Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Belly button

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 13 2020, 3:47 pm
Is it possible for a 3 year old to change from an innie to outie? And does someone who has an outie when they sit down does it look like an innie?

RuralIma

Post Mon, Jul 13 2020, 3:51 pm
Yes, I had an outie when I was a kid and now I have an innie. I don't remember when the change happened but I definitely remember noticing that my belly button had changed. My son's belly button was more of an outie and now it's half innie/half outie. When he sits the outie part of it does go in a little bit. I think one of my brothers had an innie and then changed to an outie but I don't know if I'm remembering correctly, that was like 20+ years ago.
Belly buttons are weird. If you're worried, I would just ask her ped.

amother
Pink

Post Mon, Jul 13 2020, 4:03 pm
My baby had what Dr's call a umbilical hernia, Dr assured not to worry it should go away within 3 years or you can later do surgery. I did not want to take the chance and searched on what can possibly be done. I found this https://www.amazon.com/Medical.....1ZQ== and it really did help. after just a few weeks (although it kept on sliding away) my baby has now kind of an innie
I still think have I started using the belt right away it would have worked better. I only started using it at 6 weeks. I would like to spread word on this as I wish someone had suggested this earlier

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Jul 13 2020, 4:10 pm
amother [ Pink ] wrote:
My baby had what Dr's call a umbilical hernia, Dr assured not to worry it should go away within 3 years or you can later do surgery. I did not want to take the chance and searched on what can possibly be done. I found this https://www.amazon.com/Medical.....1ZQ== and it really did help. after just a few weeks (although it kept on sliding away) my baby has now kind of an innie
I still think have I started using the belt right away it would have worked better. I only started using it at 6 weeks. I would like to spread word on this as I wish someone had suggested this earlier

I just wanted to say that this belt is not necessary. My dr jokes that you should tape on a quarter, saying it's an old wives tale. My son's umbilical hernia went away by itself. My baby's is also going away, but not all the way yet. (As he is still a baby) Starting earlier witj the belt wouldn't have made a difference. Wait a little longer and your child's belly button will hopefully be fully resolved.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 13 2020, 4:14 pm
Op here, no I believe she was born with an innie and I’m noticing her belly button is turning into an outie but only when she stands.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Mon, Jul 13 2020, 5:10 pm
amother [ Pink ] wrote:

My son had an umbilical Hernia too but I didn’t do anything about it. He is now a Bar Mitzvah boy with an outie. 😀 I can’t remember when it became an outie but he was quite young. He was slim so I suspect it would have happened even sooner on a bigger boy.

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, Jul 13 2020, 5:14 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Is it possible for a 3 year old to change from an innie to outie? And does someone who has an outie when they sit down does it look like an innie?

I sometimes wonder whether people just have too much time on their hands

tweety1

Post Mon, Jul 13 2020, 5:19 pm
amother [ Lawngreen ] wrote:
My son had an umbilical Hernia too but I didn’t do anything about it. He is now a Bar Mitzvah boy with an outie. 😀 I can’t remember when it became an outie but he was quite young. He was slim so I suspect it would have happened even sooner on a bigger boy.

I thought an unbilical hernia can't be left untreated?

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Jul 13 2020, 5:21 pm
tweety1 wrote:

It generally corrects itself. My preemie had one and it went away on its own.

amother
Gray

Post Mon, Jul 13 2020, 7:17 pm
tweety1 wrote:

DD had surgery when she was 6. I didn't care about innie vs outie, but she had a real hole behind her belly button that still hadn't closed. And as she grows and (b'ezrat Hashem) is older and married, pregnancy could cause some real problems so we had it fixed.
She's now 12 so I haven't seen her belly button in a while but I think it's more innie than outie

the chevrah

Post Mon, Jul 13 2020, 10:03 pm
Is it a must to do surgery on a boy if it didn't correct itself by a certain age or can I ignore it?

amother
Violet

Post Mon, Jul 13 2020, 10:07 pm
the chevrah wrote:
Is it a must to do surgery on a boy if it didn't correct itself by a certain age or can I ignore it?

Check with a pediatric surgeon, but I think like a previous poster mentioned- if it doesn’t correct itself by about age 6 it probably needs surgery.

It’s a good time to get consults now because you can still do telehealth in many places Smile

amother
Lawngreen

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 3:07 am
tweety1 wrote:

Only if it gets infected. My son’s just went away. 🤷‍♀️
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics