Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Desperate for help with bedwetting
Previous  1  2

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Mar 18 2021, 11:35 pm
I keep a 13 year old kid at my house who suffers from bed wetting at night, and doesn’t keep himself clean during the day either. He told me he doesn’t feel when he needs to go out.
I’m lost. What can I do?
(He was molested and I was told this can happen to molested kids and he’ll probably get better. He’s been here a while and it’s still as bad as day 1)

amother
cornflower

Post Fri, Mar 19 2021, 1:13 am
I have a 14 year old who seems to have suddenly clicked. In the last few weeks I mean - he wears depends to bed and even so had been needing to wash his sheets at least a couple of times a week but something just shifted and it’s not happening anymore.

So time, I guess? We’ve tried many things over the years with no success.

His brothers were all dry at night by 6-7, except the one who was dry even as an infant. No idea where it came from but it’s clearly biological.

#BestBubby

Post Fri, Mar 19 2021, 1:24 am
If possible, put the kid in charge of washing the linen.

Not as a punishment, just you are big, so here's what to do.

When bedwetting is an inconvenience to the CHILD, sometimes it helps them "get it" faster.

Sometimes not. Either way, you don't have to deal with the sheets.

Also, a reward for waking up dry sometimes works as well.

amother
Tangerine

Post Fri, Mar 19 2021, 1:25 am
My son is 13. He was really mortified and it was affecting his self esteem so he is on meds now. It doesn’t work always but he is much happier. He is also a really big tall guy so he has to take a really high dose for it to work.

He really wants to go to sleepover camp but this is holding him back.

About 3 years ago we did a sleep study and he had really bad sleep apnea. We removed his tonsils. I’d hoped it would help this too. But it didn’t.

We tried alarms over the years me they never worked.

amother
Peach

Post Fri, Mar 19 2021, 6:51 am
I had the same issue with my son and desmopressin really helped him. We went to CHOP to the bed wetting clinic at Dove’s Center for a consult. They were really nice there and made us feel so much better about why it was occurring. It was because a specific hormone that he was missing that was causing him not to wake up to go to the bathroom. They said as he grew older, he would develop the hormone, and in meantime desmopressin would help. Now it’s been a few years later and he’s now 12 and isn’t using desmopressin anymore and is dry.

amother
Cobalt

Post Fri, Mar 19 2021, 7:53 am
The doctors all say this is "normal" and while it might be within the range of normal it can be really demoralizing to kids.

One of my kids had this - nothing worked, including the medication. We got Dr Sagee's alarm and in combination with the exercises it really worked. The most effective exercise was boys kegels. Every time DS went to the bathroom during the day he would pee for 3 seconds, stop, pee for 3 seconds, stop. All day long. It exercises the muscles for control. Within 2 weeks, my heavy wetter was dry 75% of the time and was totally dry within 6 weeks. Once he had better muscle control, his body was able to wake him from his deep sleep.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics