Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Prepared food in the house
Previous  1  2

Java

Post Thu, Jul 07 2022, 11:50 am
ShishKabob wrote:
It was probably a good suggestion. It wasn't a command.

Maybe it was just the language OP used. To me 'exhorted' sounds like more of a command than a suggestion. Or at least a very very very strong suggestion.

ShishKabob

Post Thu, Jul 07 2022, 11:52 am
Java wrote:
Maybe it was just the language OP used. To me 'exhorted' sounds like more of a command than a suggestion.
To me it means strongly encouraged! Whatever it is, it's always a good idea to have ready food to feed hungry souls. I don't think anyone can argue with that! Smile

cbg

Post Thu, Jul 07 2022, 12:36 pm
It’s a good suggestion
You never know if you’ll have last minute guests
This happens to me often
But my husband is a community rabbi in an area that is somewhat touristical

Once I forgot to plug in my cholent crockpot
And didn’t notice until Friday night
B”H I had a thinly sliced cooked roast in the freezer.
We ate it Shabbos day room temp with everything else I was planning to serve
Everyone was happy and someone commented they liked this idea better than cholent

I also love when I can pull out most of Shabbat from the freezer. Or even weekday meals. Just a lot less work

#BestBubby

Post Thu, Jul 07 2022, 1:06 pm
Frozen pizza, canned tuna, eggs, peanut butter sandwiches - those are my emergency meals.

animeme

Post Thu, Jul 07 2022, 2:15 pm
Interesting. My first thought was that it's for shalom bayis- so that if the husband is very hungry or on his way home and the wife isn't up to cooking, there is something available that meets both their needs.

Tachlis: If you make breaded schnitzel, take a large flat pan (I use the disposable cookie sheets) and lay them flat in one layer not touching each other- cover the whole tray with a piece of foil and put in the freezer. After they have frozen solid, you can feel off each piece and dump a bunch into a ziploc bag and squeeze out the extra air. Because they were frozen individually, they won't stick to each other, and you can take out however many you need. They can be put on a plate in the microwave, or a pan on the oven.

Alternatively, you can make chicken in a tomato sauce or a mushroom sauce, and then freeze a few cutlets and some sauce per small pan or Tupperware (depending on how you reheat.) Make a bunch of these small pans or containers, and one can be grabbed as a meal or snack for one or two. Make a large pan of it and you have a whole readymade meal for the family.

cheese1

Post Thu, Jul 07 2022, 4:16 pm
Does anyone have sauce cutlet recipes?

(Like a tomato sauce chicken was mentioned..
or anything else...)

Amarante

Post Thu, Jul 07 2022, 4:41 pm
cheese1 wrote:
Does anyone have sauce cutlet recipes?

(Like a tomato sauce chicken was mentioned..
or anything else...)

I posted this - it is designed to be made ahead and frozen and was a good variation on the classic lemon/chicken recipe.

Greek Chicken Freezer Meal

1.5 lbs russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2" pieces

2 lbs chicken breast

1/4 cup olive oil

2 tbsp lemon juice

2 tbsp salt, divided

1 tbsp oregano, dried

1 tbsp garlic powder

1 tbsp dried dill

1 gallon sized freezer bag

Bring a large stock pot filled with water to the boil. Add one tablespoon of salt along with the potatoes, and boil for 6 minutes. Drain potatoes into a colander and allow them to cool completely.

Make the Greek marinade: in a small bowl, combine olive oil, lemon juice, remaining tablespoon of salt, oregano, garlic powder and dill, stir to combine.

In a large bowl, toss the cooled, cooked potatoes with half of the Greek marinade until potatoes are coated. Add potatoes to the bottom of a freezer bag. Use the same bowl to toss the chicken breasts with the remaining dressing. Once they’re well coated, add the seasoned chicken breast to the freezer bag along with the potatoes.

To cook the Greek Chicken Freezer Dinner.

The night before you want to make this Greek chicken freezer dinner, remove it from the freezer and place it in the fridge to thaw.

Heat the oven to 400°F.

When you are ready to bake, spread the defrosted chicken and potatoes out on a lightly greased rimmed baking sheet.

Bake for 20-25 minutes until the internal temperature of your chicken reaches 165°F on an instant read thermometer.

If you want to add some color to the chicken and potatoes, broil for another 3-5 minutes

Bruria

Post Thu, Jul 07 2022, 8:14 pm
Any person feels cared for having a home cooked meal prepared for them. Of course sometimes life is too hectic and we take short cuts and there's nothing wrong with that.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics