Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Finished the Seder 11:00
Previous  1  2  3  4

watergirl

Post Mon, Apr 10 2023, 8:39 am
amother Lotus wrote:
We start within 20 minutes or so from when dh comes home from shul
Our seder was over at 2:30
Then I had to clean up, figure out how to repack the fridge, sweep…. Then I checked my menu and took meat and kugel out of the freezer for the next day-
I also helped my kids settle down in bed. Many guests so some kids were sleeping on mattresses on the floor- found extra pillows, missing pajamas/
By the time I got to my room it was 3:20. I read for a few minutes to calm myself down so yes, I fell asleep around 4.
Our seder is nothing super amazing- just takes time. We were 15 people. We sort of rush shulchan areich… I don’t know, everything just takes a while

So in theory, a lot of what you are doing after the seder can be done before or even the next day to get you to bed earlier, but you wait until after the seder to do it.

Next day's food and menu check can be done before the seder.
Finding pillows, pajamas, etc. can be done before the seder.
Sweeping can be done in the morning honestly.

Even ending the seder at 2:30 - why? Is it an option for you to end on your own and then do the menu/taking out of the freezer, etc. before everyone else is done? I don't finish the seder with my husband, I do hallel on my own, etc. And I lay on the couch and listen to them doing hallel and nirtzah but I can't sit upright at that point. There are ways to end earlier if you are really suffering.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Apr 10 2023, 8:54 am
watergirl wrote:
So in theory, a lot of what you are doing after the seder can be done before or even the next day to get you to bed earlier, but you wait until after the seder to do it.

Next day's food and menu check can be done before the seder.
Finding pillows, pajamas, etc. can be done before the seder.
Sweeping can be done in the morning honestly.

Even ending the seder at 2:30 - why? Is it an option for you to end on your own and then do the menu/taking out of the freezer, etc. before everyone else is done? I don't finish the seder with my husband, I do hallel on my own, etc. And I lay on the couch and listen to them doing hallel and nirtzah but I can't sit upright at that point. There are ways to end earlier if you are really suffering.

Not for the second seder. And even the first, with so many people it might take some time. Bathrooms, possible resetting up, hanging up coats, then pouring...at least 10+ minutes.

cuties' mom

Post Mon, Apr 10 2023, 9:10 am
amother Denim wrote:
For those who finish early, I'm really curious.
Do you read all the words?
Do you translate?
Do you sing the singing parts?
Does everyone say mah Nishtana together? (By us, each kid says it separately)?
How does the logistics of filling up all the Kosos, handing out proper amounts of matza, etc work out.

Because we have 5 kids from 5-17. We say all the words and translate each paragraph. Each of my kids was allowed to say 2 or 3 divrei Torah less than a minute apiece.
And both nights, we started at 9, finished maggid at 11:45, ate the afikomen by 1(chatzos) and finished the Seder by 2:15. (We sing the whole Hallel).

I'm not judging at all. I'm really curious how it can even work because we really didn't waste time and we kept on moving.

We read all the words.
We translate everything.
We don't sing much. I'm tone deaf and do my family a huge favor by not singing. Ds is self conscious about his singing ability (I think he sounds ok but I'm not one to judge), and dh only sings vehi sheamda, dayeinu, and chasal siddur pesach.
Ds is the only one who says ma nishtana.
As we're only 3 people, it doesn't take long to pour wine. Ds pours mine and sometimes dh and passes me the bottle. I pour for ds and for dh if ds didn't. Dh takes his matza and passes me the measurement sheet so I could take mine. I pass it to ds as soon as I'm finished with it.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics