Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Why so much intolerance for others
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6

fleetwood

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 7:46 am
Haven't read past the first few comments. But anyone else see the hypocrisy here of bashing o.p. use of smartphone... While they themselves are on the internet..!!

amother
Stoneblue

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 8:43 am
fleetwood wrote:
Haven't read past the first few comments. But anyone else see the hypocrisy here of bashing o.p. use of smartphone... While they themselves are on the internet..!!

Who's bashing OP?
(Smartphones & internet usage, aren't one and the same. 2 separate things.)

amother
Ecru

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 8:50 am
amother Stoneblue wrote:
Who's bashing OP?
(Smartphones & internet usage, aren't one and the same. 2 separate things.)

They're very similar acutally.

The people I know who have a strong stance against smartphones (which includes most people in my community) wouldn't think of posting on imamother either. They don't use internet for recreational purposes.

amother
Ecru

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 8:52 am
crust wrote:
This explains alot.
The mentality is so different.

I am sorry. I did exactly what you were venting about and I was intolerant in my first post.
I apologize.

It's strange everyone is saying this.

I'm originally from England and never saw this attitude.

Plenty people don't have smartphones but everyone has some relatives and friends who do. It's not a foreign concept even in the sheltered communities.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 9:03 am
amother Candycane wrote:
Lol im chassidish and this cracked me up. Its true!

Mishpacha Jr. had a nice series on Shabbos. And one of the bullet points was, did you know that in Nusach Ashkenaz they only say Yismechu b'Malchusecha once?
(For those who don't know, mussaf.)

amother
Mint

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 9:05 am
amother Stone wrote:
And if she would pick up a call on a dumb phone, would you still find that rude and annoying??? Because I see chassidish women doing that all the time in public and with their families.

Yes a flip phone call is just as bad. It’s ok in a park or wide open space away from others.I’m referring to when you are with a group of people or with your children and instead of being with them you are chatting on a phone call half the time. If you want to be on a phone call, go away from the people and be on the phone.

giftedmom

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 9:06 am
amother Burgundy wrote:
Who is behind the cards and why? There is clearly a lot of money and power behind them for the cards to be so widespread.

They fundraise, and no power necessary they just advertise and have select stores sell them

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 9:07 am
amother Clematis wrote:
Apparently the holier option these days is a tablet starting at a certain size. I find it hilarious when I'm at a super sheltered frum event and the grandparent is holding this big tablet trying to take pictures of whatever is happening.

I think the idea is kind of like what I do: I have a kosher phone (which is a neutered smart phone; there's still a lot I can do with the approved apps, but bH much more I can't: no browser) but have a PC for internet. So I have to sit at a table at home.

And it's filtered too.

So there's not the same ease as a smartphone offers. (And of course, I'd only use a filtered smartphone.)

I think this was the thinking behind the tablet thing. But tablets are a LOT more portable than PCs.

amother
Emerald

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 11:30 am
some kids say stupid things, ie: 'why are you so fat?' etc.
even if they have great chinuch. their brains are still developing.

have no fear, they will grow up to be fine adults.

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 12:09 pm
giftedmom wrote:
They fundraise, and no power necessary they just advertise and have select stores sell them

Clearly, powerful, wealthy people are supporting this cause in the community.

giftedmom

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 1:17 pm
amother Burgundy wrote:
Clearly, powerful, wealthy people are supporting this cause in the community.

How much money do you think it costs to print cards and run some contests and a hotline?

amother
Amber

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 3:06 pm
amother Holly wrote:
I’ll bite. What’s a smartphone?
Did we ever find out what a smartphone is ...?

amother
Rose

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 4:36 pm
amother Emerald wrote:
some kids say stupid things, ie: 'why are you so fat?' etc.
even if they have great chinuch. their brains are still developing.

have no fear, they will grow up to be fine adults.

I wouldn't be so sure of that. Those Taliban-like biryonim who attack women whose only crime is that they wear high heels or talk too loudly in the street didn't arise yesh me'ayin, fully grown. They were kids once. And this kid wasn't just being tactless because he hasn't learned to filter his words. He was overtly chutzpadik, hostile and using violent language. "her son called me a [gentile] and threatened to take my phone away and break it." Where does a kid come to talk that way to an adult?

Furthermore, he's 11, not 4. At 4, many frum kids are obsessed with who's a Jew and who's not, and they think that anyone who's a little different from them is not a Jew. They'll assume that a woman wearing pants or denim or a man with long hair is not Jewish, simply because they look different from the people they know and from the images they see in frum books. But by 11, a kid is learning mishnah, and may have been at it for a year, and he should be a bit more sophisticated than a four-year-old. He should know by now that the Jewish world comprises Jews of many stripes and not all of them are going to look, act and sound like the people in their shtetl.

That kid needs to be taken out of that cheder pronto.

honey36

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 4:45 pm
Haven't read everything yet, but just want to say the intolerance goes both ways. Maybe the chassidish and yeshivish kids call people bad names if they use a smartphone, but I'm sure there are modern kids who make fun of them too for dressing differently or being "fanatical" or whatever.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but I don't think we can pick on any one community for something that happens all over. Both cases are not okay and shouldnt be happening

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 6:31 pm
giftedmom wrote:
How much money do you think it costs to print cards and run some contests and a hotline?

To run an ongoing, successful business? A bunch. Also, if they are being sold in stores, it sends the message that the community agrees with the message.

giftedmom

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 6:35 pm
amother Burgundy wrote:
To run an ongoing, successful business? A bunch. Also, if they are being sold in stores, it sends the message that the community agrees with the message.

A big portion of the community does
Page 6 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 Recent Topics