Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Is TTI a respected degree?
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Wandflower

Post Mon, Jun 19 2023, 6:44 am
amother Brass wrote:
You must've hired lousy workers. Maybe you should go to non-frum college to learn interviewing and background checking skills so you don't get burnt again...
LOL

You're probably a naturally talented writer because neither my Jewish undergrad program, nor my non Jewish graduate program were particularly good at teaching writing. I wouldn't say one was better than the other though. In fact I would say that overall the caliber of students was very similar.

amother
Wandflower

Post Mon, Jun 19 2023, 6:45 am
amother Buttercup wrote:
I don’t get this. TTI is not a college, and nobody gets a degree from TTI. For example a Speech degree is from University of Cincinnati - not TTI - and it is just as recognized as any other UC degree.
This. TTI isn't a respected degree because it doesn't grant degrees.

amother
Oak

Post Mon, Jun 19 2023, 7:18 am
amother Brass wrote:
That was your personal experience... I went to frum college and the DOE commented on my reports that they've never seen such thorough, well-written reports and I should teach all people in my field how to write...

Time management skills have nothing to do with which college someone went to either. It's a skill that people should acquire on their own before going to college. (I happened to be a very punctual person and I went to frum college)

You must've hired lousy workers. Maybe you should go to non-frum college to learn interviewing and background checking skills so you don't get burnt again...

I didn't hire them. I supervised them... and the frum program graduates had most of the paperwork issues.
After numerous experiences, I decided I wouldn't so easily hire graduates from frum programs if I were allowed to hire.
I am honestly reporting my years of experience with seeing the new hires, being forced to re-teach them basics they should have learned before finding employment. It is hard for me to go into specifics because my field, employer, and specific role is very unique.

And no, I am not jealous. I got almost a free ride for my BA. No loans for undergrad thankyouverymuch.

Just One

Post Mon, Jun 19 2023, 7:51 am
For those that claim that the quickie programs are just as good, how is a student technically cramming 4 years of material into a 6 month-1 year program?

amother
Brass

Post Mon, Jun 19 2023, 11:04 am
Just One wrote:
For those that claim that the quickie programs are just as good, how is a student technically cramming 4 years of material into a 6 month-1 year program?

TTI's masters program is not 6 months to a year. A Masters in Special Ed is 18-24 months of intense learning with many hours of fieldwork. I'm not sure how long the programs are in other places, but it's not a quickie do-nothing degree. (and btw it's through Daemen College, which is a regular NY college)

amother
Brass

Post Mon, Jun 19 2023, 11:06 am
amother Oak wrote:
I didn't hire them. I supervised them... and the frum program graduates had most of the paperwork issues.
After numerous experiences, I decided I wouldn't so easily hire graduates from frum programs if I were allowed to hire.
I am honestly reporting my years of experience with seeing the new hires, being forced to re-teach them basics they should have learned before finding employment. It is hard for me to go into specifics because my field, employer, and specific role is very unique.

And no, I am not jealous. I got almost a free ride for my BA. No loans for undergrad thankyouverymuch.

Just wondering if you had a better experience with your grads from non-frum programs. (although I believe your experience is not typical. I've seen many grads from frum programs with good work ethics and skills.)

amother
Pear

Post Mon, Jun 19 2023, 12:53 pm
Just One wrote:

It's only quick for the bachelor's, which has nothing to do with training for a field. No one likes to hear this, but for the most part, 4 year bachelor's degrees fill up the 4 years with drawn out courses that are irrelevant for the future career and calculated to make the colleges the most money possible.

amother
Red

Post Mon, Jun 19 2023, 1:04 pm
The soft skills gained in college build the foundation for many careers. Writing skills, research skills, analytic skills, understanding statistic and how to interpret data… these aren’t “time wasters”. They are the building blocks for most any career. The fact that we are promoting them as a waste of time is concerning to me. And no I’m not jealous. My kids are approaching college age and I hope they make good choices and go to more comprehensive programs.

amother
Aconite

Post Mon, Jun 19 2023, 2:05 pm
amother Red wrote:
The soft skills gained in college build the foundation for many careers. Writing skills, research skills, analytic skills, understanding statistic and how to interpret data… these aren’t “time wasters”. They are the building blocks for most any career. The fact that we are promoting them as a waste of time is concerning to me. And no I’m not jealous. My kids are approaching college age and I hope they make good choices and go to more comprehensive programs.

For many of these women, their main priority in life is their family and not their career. It's not really important to them to have research, analysis and statistic skills. And that is completely fine. If you have other priorities in life and career skills is super important to you, then that is also fine.

The reason they are getting a degree is to have a higher paying job than if they didn't have a degree. And the vast majority of them do very well in their careers, and in raising their families without wasting 4 years in college.

amother
Aconite

Post Mon, Jun 19 2023, 2:13 pm
Just One wrote:

You need to differentiate between undergraduate and graduate.

Undergraduate college spreads out 120 credits over 4 years. It is entirely unessecary for it to take that long, and its not "cramming" to.do.it in a short period of time.

Personally, I got credits in grade 12 and seminary, and then did 2 years of college. so I got the same 120 credits over 4 years, but finished 2 years post high school as opposed to 4.

In terms if graduate education, there are no shortcuts. Every.program, Jewish or not, has basically the same requirements or their students won't be able to get licensed and registered to practice.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 19 2023, 6:13 pm
I just watched the Sara Schenirer open house tonight. Someone asked if they can transfer their bachelors from TTI to Sara Schenirer and they said that "they only accept bachelor degrees that included live courses and TTI doesn't fit their criteria"

So it seems like its complicated to transfer TTI bachelors to Sara Schenirer....

Sad

But some people on imamother are saying that they accept it at age 25...

amother
Pear

Post Mon, Jun 19 2023, 6:14 pm
amother OP wrote:
I just watched the Sara Schenirer open house tonight. Someone asked if they can transfer their bachelors from TTI to Sara Schenirer and they said that they only accept bachelor degrees that included live courses and TTI doesn't fit their criteria"

So it seems like its complicated to transfer TTI bachelors to Sara Schenirer....

Sad

But some people on imamother are saying that they accept it at age 25...

Of course they say that at their open house...
Which program from Sarah Schenirer would you want to transfer to? AFAIK TTI has almost all the same Masters degrees.

amother
Peach

Post Mon, Jun 19 2023, 6:19 pm
Right so I am currently transferring and was told the same thing. That’s when they told at age 25 it should be ok
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics