Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Is TTI a respected degree?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
cornflower

Post Sat, Jun 17 2023, 11:20 pm
amother OP wrote:
Are you saying that these "quick and easy degree" programs don't prepare the girls to do their jobs properly or are you saying that they give their degrees so fast that it doesn't give them the skills and training necessary to be skilled?

Because my understanding was that the reason non-jewish colleges take 4 years and frum programs take 1 year its because they cut out all the "useless" classes that have nothing to do with the career they wanna do.
Not because they aren't teaching them enough about their job/not educating them for long enough.

But maybe I'm wrong.

Anyone here that knows/hired people from these frum colleges that can tell me if they are skilled at what they do or not?

Or anyone here got a degree from one of these fast frum colleges that can say whether or not they felt prepared and skilled to do their work?

I took not one but two of these programs, and can say categorically that the first poster is misinformed. They do not skimp at all on the classes on the subject matter being learned. In fact, I found the education superior in terms of practicality to what's being offered in many secular colleges. What is being skipped is the undergrad prerequisites that are not necessary for your job. You can't test out of actual speech or special ed courses. My professors were excellent, experts in the field with a lot of experience who provided a superior education. The field requirements were exactly the same as they are in any other college.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jun 17 2023, 11:21 pm
amother cornflower wrote:
I took not one but two of these programs, and can say categorically that the first poster is misinformed. They do not skimp at all on the classes on the subject matter being learned. In fact, I found the education superior in terms of practicality to what's being offered in many secular colleges. What is being skipped is the undergrad prerequisites that are not necessary for your job. You can't test out of actual speech or special ed courses. My professors were excellent, experts in the field with a lot of experience who provided a superior education. The field requirements were exactly the same as they are in any other college.

Wow! That amazing. I'm so glad to know.

Which program did you do?

Would love to know for myself! I am in search of a good program

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 18 2023, 2:47 pm
Bumping this to see if anyone has experience with TTI degrees that can answer if TTI is a respected degree or not

amother
Peach

Post Sun, Jun 18 2023, 2:52 pm
I got my ba through tti (excelsior) and had a bit of trouble with it getting into grad school but I did get in so it’s fine

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Sun, Jun 18 2023, 4:00 pm
Since COVID TTI is more respected since a lot of colleges started doing online classes so it's better than it used to be.

My DD is doing TTI now for special ed and her high school advisor said that once she is done getting her degree and has a few years experience nobody is going to care which college she went to.

If someone plans on a more professional type degree like a doctorate then yes it will matter if not it really doesn't matter. In a worse case scenario you might have to take some extra classes when you transfer it over but otherwise it's a good degree.

amother
Wandflower

Post Sun, Jun 18 2023, 4:06 pm
amother Chestnut wrote:
I got a masters degree in education, sitting in actual classes at YU azrieli... didn't learn anything that I hadn't already known from being in the classroom for 4 years

Let's not pretend education is better than experience
An I got my graduate degree in education from a non jewish well respected university and multiple courses centered around being a good ally and how to respect marginalized communities etc. I assume the frum programs would have made better use of that instruction time.

amother
DarkPurple

Post Sun, Jun 18 2023, 4:31 pm
One of my DDs got her speech degree from a secular college and one from TTI. I would never do the secular college route again, it was a huge waste of time and money. And as someone mentioned on this thread secular colleges have tons of classes online ever since covid.

I will say that in the FRUM world in particular there is a lot of snobbery and looking down at frum programs (IME) but having a close up view (with my two daughters going through them) I really think it’s not warranted. (I personally went to a secular college years ago before TTI existed. And even then, the people in Brooklyn college looked down on the people in Touro. Basically the more “frum”/yeshivish your program, the more others-particularly frum people-turned their noses up at it.)

amother
Oak

Post Sun, Jun 18 2023, 4:36 pm
The students I have worked with who went to the frum colleges struggled in the field. They couldn't write basic reports, struggled with time management around YT, expected about 50 "chances" and reminders with no improvement, lacked certain "worldliness" required in the field, and also some basic education.
For instance- one couldn't write a paragraph with capitalization, proper punctuation, or other basic requirements. Honestly, it sounded like my 4th grader wrote the session notes.

I personally wouldn't hire someone from one of the frum colleges (maybe besides Touro undergrad).

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Sun, Jun 18 2023, 6:31 pm
amother Oak wrote:
The students I have worked with who went to the frum colleges struggled in the field. They couldn't write basic reports, struggled with time management around YT, expected about 50 "chances" and reminders with no improvement, lacked certain "worldliness" required in the field, and also some basic education.
For instance- one couldn't write a paragraph with capitalization, proper punctuation, or other basic requirements. Honestly, it sounded like my 4th grader wrote the session notes.

I personally wouldn't hire someone from one of the frum colleges (maybe besides Touro undergrad).

So not true I personally taught all of my children how to write proper papers using proper punctuation, capitalization throughout their elementary and high school years. I personally went over each paper with them and the school teaches that as well.

If anything it's the opposite in the non Jewish world they are so busy using slang they don't know how to say a complete and proper sentence. I would be honored to hire one of our own for any position needed!

Maybe those specific people had difficulty with it but my dd's and ds know how to write properly and so do their classmates and friends. I have seen some of their friends papers.

amother
Oak

Post Sun, Jun 18 2023, 7:04 pm
amother Ghostwhite wrote:
So not true I personally taught all of my children how to write proper papers using proper punctuation, capitalization throughout their elementary and high school years. I personally went over each paper with them and the school teaches that as well.

If anything it's the opposite in the non Jewish world they are so busy using slang they don't know how to say a complete and proper sentence. I would be honored to hire one of our own for any position needed!

Maybe those specific people had difficulty with it but my dd's and ds know how to write properly and so do their classmates and friends. I have seen some of their friends papers.

So you had to help your kids through college/grad school.

I want adults working in my field. I don't have an issue with hiring frum people. I have issues with hiring substandard clinicians.

And no, in the secular world they don't use slang in professional and academic work.

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Sun, Jun 18 2023, 7:13 pm
A relative of mine got into a respected law school with a tti ba.

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, Jun 18 2023, 8:29 pm
amother Oak wrote:
So you had to help your kids through college/grad school.

I want adults working in my field. I don't have an issue with hiring frum people. I have issues with hiring substandard clinicians.

And no, in the secular world they don't use slang in professional and academic work.

They don’t use slang necessarily, but my non professional grammar education seems to be better than many high class, world renown doctors I communicate with on a daily basis. I’m talking emails and clinic notes, not publications, but still- it’s embarrassing what they look like sometimes.

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Sun, Jun 18 2023, 8:32 pm
No I didn't help them through college and grad school they are doing that all on their own!

Stop putting down TTI it's a great college and if anything better than most since the students are motivating themselves to learn!

amother
Buttercup

Post Sun, Jun 18 2023, 8:42 pm
I don’t get this. TTI is not a college, and nobody gets a degree from TTI. For example a Speech degree is from University of Cincinnati - not TTI - and it is just as recognized as any other UC degree.

amother
Wallflower

Post Sun, Jun 18 2023, 8:46 pm
There is a lot bitterness about this because those who went to longer and more expensive college feel it’s unfair. So keep in mind they do everything to put down these programs. But it’s a a college degree through real colleges regardless of what they say.

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Sun, Jun 18 2023, 9:19 pm
I would have sent my dd to a different college but the price was outrages. TTI made the most sense financially so we went with it. I am happy I did it's degree is through an accredited college and is quite respected.

For those that went to regular college and spent their money it that was their choice no need to put down someone else's choice just because you went elsewhere.

I know lot's of girls and ladies that went through TTI and are quite successful in their chosen career.

amother
Peach

Post Sun, Jun 18 2023, 9:20 pm
It makes a lot of sense if you just need a BA to get into a masters program. Their maters programs are totally regular

amother
Brass

Post Sun, Jun 18 2023, 10:13 pm
I got my BA and Masters through TTI. I sat through classes and had tons of homework and fieldwork requirements like any other degree. I know people who got into other programs after doing their degree through TTI. The only programs that don't accept a TTI degree are their direct competitors, such as Sara Schenirer, etc.

amother
Peach

Post Sun, Jun 18 2023, 10:15 pm
amother Brass wrote:
I got my BA and Masters through TTI. I sat through classes and had tons of homework and fieldwork requirements like any other degree. I know people who got into other programs after doing their degree through TTI. The only programs that don't accept a TTI degree are their direct competitors, such as Sara Schenirer, etc.

Right although Ss told me I wouldn’t have a problem if I was 25 when I applied for my masters but they wouldn’t tell me why they didn’t accept me at first. Now I was accepted.

amother
Brass

Post Mon, Jun 19 2023, 9:38 am
amother Oak wrote:

That was your personal experience... I went to frum college and the DOE commented on my reports that they've never seen such thorough, well-written reports and I should teach all people in my field how to write...

Time management skills have nothing to do with which college someone went to either. It's a skill that people should acquire on their own before going to college. (I happened to be a very punctual person and I went to frum college)

You must've hired lousy workers. Maybe you should go to non-frum college to learn interviewing and background checking skills so you don't get burnt again...
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics