Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
At my wits end!!!!!
Previous  1  2

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Jul 05 2023, 2:13 pm
amother Freesia wrote:
I would rule out anything medical going on before sleep training. Waking up 10 times is a red flag at almost two years old. Don’t jump to sleep training before getting her checked out. Does she sleep w mouth open?etc

Please name one thing medically wrong that would require drinking milk ten times a night. Not something that might need comforting ten times a night, something that would require drinking milk ten times a night.

The only thing I can possibly think of is some metabolic disorder, and there would definitely be more symptoms of that.

amother
Freesia

Post Wed, Jul 05 2023, 2:52 pm
amother Fuchsia wrote:
Please name one thing medically wrong that would require drinking milk ten times a night. Not something that might need comforting ten times a night, something that would require drinking milk ten times a night.

The only thing I can possibly think of is some metabolic disorder, and there would definitely be more symptoms of that.

No I mean the constant wake ups. Low iron, enlarge adenoids or tonsils, sleep apnea etc. and then the milk is for comfort

amother
Freesia

Post Wed, Jul 05 2023, 2:54 pm
amother OP wrote:
Nope. She takes a nap during the day. 45 minutes- hour and a half. She wakes up at 6:15 am and goes to sleep at 8:00 pm.

She literally sounds like my almost two year old. Low sleep needs as well. I’m taking her to the ent to rule anything out bc I did notice she sleeps w mouth open sometimes.

amother
Mocha

Post Wed, Jul 05 2023, 3:15 pm
My dd did the same thing. The only thing that helped was no more bottles at all.
She has a sippy cup next to her bed if she's thirsty.
Since the bottle wasn't an option anymore she stopped waking up for one.
It took 3 nights for her to get used to falling asleep without it.
Make sure she drinks a lot throughout the day.

amother
Mocha

Post Wed, Jul 05 2023, 3:16 pm
Also would you consider moving her to a bed?
That way if she comes out don't open the door for her but at least she can get back into bed.

Iymnok

Post Wed, Jul 05 2023, 3:18 pm
amother OP wrote:
So I did try this a few times. She climbs out of her crib and screams while banging on her door. She can't even put herself back to sleep as she doesn't know how to climb back into her crib. 🙄 When I say I'm at my wits end, I mean it. I have tried everything!!! And I have other little kids in the house who get woken by all the commotion.

You sit in her room and ignore her. The first time she climbs out, tell her "it’s sleeping time, I love you, you need to stay in your bed." After that don’t talk. Just keep putting her back.
The next night, the same thing. After that, sit next to the door, then just out the (open)door.

She needs your comfort and firmness at the same time.

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Jul 05 2023, 3:40 pm
amother Fuchsia wrote:

The milk is the comfort it’s likely not the reason for waking up

amother
Linen

Post Wed, Jul 05 2023, 6:28 pm
She has learned to fall asleep nursing and she has no idea how to put herself to sleep. I suggest that you hire a sleep coach to guide you in teaching her to self soothe.

amother
Cadetblue

Post Wed, Jul 05 2023, 8:24 pm
amother OP wrote:
Nope. She takes a nap during the day. 45 minutes- hour and a half. She wakes up at 6:15 am and goes to sleep at 8:00 pm.

Try cutting out her nap and putting her to bed around 7.

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Jul 05 2023, 8:38 pm
amother Cadetblue wrote:
Try cutting out her nap and putting her to bed around 7.

She may be overtired at that point. Generally kids need 12 hour nights. Would you try earlier bedtime?

amother
Freesia

Post Wed, Jul 05 2023, 9:14 pm
[quote="amother Mauve"]She may be overtired at that point. Generally kids need 12 hour nights. Would you try earlier bedtime?[/quote
Kids who are low sleep needs do not need 12 hours over night. We look at overall sleep in 24 hours

amother
Mint

Post Thu, Jul 06 2023, 1:54 am
Most amazing online sleep course by Dana Obleman called Sleep Sense! For about $50 to $100 . I called a sleep trainer in Lakewood who recommended this course for my 11 month old who slept in my bed and nursed all night. My nights bh have significantly improved ! Please

ddmom

Post Thu, Jul 06 2023, 3:16 am
Does she eat enough during the day?
Kids that drink that much bottles usually don't eat properly. It's all a vicious cycle.
Too many bottles, too many wake up, not eating enough and not sleeping enough...
Truthfully I would throw out all the bottles and only offer sippy cup with water.

I would also recheck for a medical issue to make sure she's fine before letting her cry at night. Something must be bothering her for her to wake upso often.(Pinworms, strep, ear infection/fluid, teething, UTI... there are lots of medical conditions you might not see right away but she can't tell you she's suffering!)

amother
Floralwhite

Post Thu, Jul 06 2023, 4:01 am
Check for pinworms. My kids would wake up crying very hard to calm them down
Treated for pinworms worked within a day or 2

amother
Starflower

Post Thu, Jul 06 2023, 4:14 am
Switch to a bed. When my two year old wakes up, I go in, offer her a drink of water, and put her back to bed. If she comes out, she she can get back in her bed by herself.

NotInNJMommy

Post Thu, Jul 06 2023, 4:17 am
Will she listen to music? ie. can you find an appropriate replacement for her to self soothe, stay in bed, and get her off taking in calories at night? (also offer water)

From 2yrs-4yrs or so... dd would put on a CD for herself (she went to bed with one on--and I showed her how to turn it back on). I can't lie that I didn't get woken up by it (even though it was quiet) BUT....she stayed in bed more and was not upset and we all got a lot more rest.

Eventually, she settled in.

rgr

Post Thu, Jul 06 2023, 4:25 am
I was also going to suggest checking for pinworms.

Just so you know, not every cio takes "just 3 days and you'll be done"

I had similar with my 18 month old and it took 2 weeks to really be over it. (Modified cio)

tf

Post Thu, Jul 06 2023, 6:02 am
Does she have nightmares?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics