Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Needlework and Sewing
She Cracks Every Needle and Breaks All Machines

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 09 2023, 12:12 pm
My 6th grader loves to sew. I don't know how to help her. She breaks every machine she touches. She won't watch YouTube videos. I need someone to give her proper lessons in BP. Fishman doesn't work with anyone below high school. Please help.

zaq

Post Sun, Jul 09 2023, 12:55 pm
Start teaching her to sew by hand and graduate to machine work only once she masters hand sewing and gains maturity and reliability with machinery. Really good sewing requires skill in hand sewing techniques in any case. Six is way too young to work with delicate equipment. Even if yours is a treadle machine and not electric, which I doubt.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 09 2023, 12:58 pm
She does sew by hand but wants to sew on machine too. She sews clothes all day. This is her passion. She loves to design. I go crazy because I can't get involved with the machine. I'm looking for someone who can teach her in person. She's grade 6, not 6 years old.

Elfrida

Post Sun, Jul 09 2023, 1:00 pm
zaq wrote:
Start teaching her to sew by hand and graduate to machine work only once she masters hand sewing and gains maturity and reliability with machinery. Really good sewing requires skill in hand sewing techniques in any case. Six is way too young to work with delicate equipment. Even if yours is a treadle machine and not electric, which I doubt.

She's sixth grade, not a six year old, but I agree with the rest of what you wrote. Hand sewing is going to require a lot more patience, which will help her develop skills to use a machine safely. You could try introducing her to embroidery as well.

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, Jul 09 2023, 1:10 pm
I was that kid lol! I dont agree that she should sew by hand. That was. And still is nerve wracking for me. You have to find someone who will show her how to use the machine properly. I wish I could show her but I am not in boro park. It doesnt have to be a sewing teacher, anyone with good sewing skills should be able to help.

yo'ma

Post Mon, Jul 10 2023, 9:20 am
Maybe I can help her. Pm me

amother
Trillium

Post Mon, Jul 10 2023, 2:35 pm
amother OP wrote:
My 6th grader loves to sew. I don't know how to help her. She breaks every machine she touches. She won't watch YouTube videos. I need someone to give her proper lessons in BP. Fishman doesn't work with anyone below high school. Please help.

What do you mean by 'she breaks every machine'? When I taught sewing, I regularly had to clear thread jams, but those were usually from girls starting a threaded machine with no material under the foot, or by not stopping as soon as there was a problem.

I'm not in NY, so I can't help beyond here.

amother
Geranium

Post Mon, Jul 10 2023, 2:39 pm
I wouldn't pay for any more sewing stuff unless she agrees to get lessons or learnt to not break the sewing machine.

amother
White

Post Mon, Jul 10 2023, 2:39 pm
Would Sew Like A Pro be good for her?
My friend took her course and loved jt

Iymnok

Post Mon, Jul 10 2023, 2:42 pm
Find fabric with stripes and have her do a straight stitch on the lines. She has to thread the machine herself and undo any tangles. Get a pack of 100 needles. It’s worth it.
How much do you know about sewing?

amother
Bluebell

Post Mon, Jul 10 2023, 2:50 pm
I know someone that is a sewing teacher and gives one on one lessons.

She doesn't live in Boro Park though.
My point is that there is definitely someone in BP too. (not sure these people are internet type)

Ask around.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Jul 10 2023, 2:51 pm
She sounds like me. Breaking needles is part of sewing (I buy extra by the pack). Breaking the machine, not so much (BH I haven't broken mine in years....if I'm having trouble, usually it's a sign of a need for a tune-up. Machines require maintenance....)
But you should look for a sewing teacher, though I do agree, 6th grade is young.

amother
Hyssop

Post Mon, Jul 10 2023, 2:53 pm
amother OP wrote:
She does sew by hand but wants to sew on machine too. She sews clothes all day. This is her passion. She loves to design. I go crazy because I can't get involved with the machine. I'm looking for someone who can teach her in person. She's grade 6, not 6 years old.

That's amazing she is so passionate about it! Maybe one day she'll be a fashion designer and you'll post here about how successful she is!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 10 2023, 2:55 pm
amother Hyssop wrote:
That's amazing she is so passionate about it! Maybe one day she'll be a fashion designer and you'll post here about how successful she is!

Amen! Very Happy

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 10 2023, 2:56 pm
amother White wrote:
Would Sew Like A Pro be good for her?
My friend took her course and loved jt

Would be great, if we lived in Lakewood. The recorded USB course is not for her.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Needlework and Sewing