Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Stuttering therapy

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 31 2023, 10:56 am
Do you have personal experience with stuttering speech therapy?
My dc stutters and he's been to speech but it didnt help. From what I read online, it seems therapy for stuttering is about helping kids be comfortable with who they are, and doesn't actually cure the stuttering.

Is there any point in pursuing more therapy? any other things to try?

amother
Firethorn

Post Mon, Jul 31 2023, 11:07 am
Im a SLP that specializes in stuttering. There is no cure for stuttering. We teach clients how to manage their stutter through different modalities like breath work, prolonged syllables, reduced rate of speech amongst others. I would continue to keep your child in therapy. How old are they? This will be something they work on for awhile, but iyh will gain confidence to embrace who they are and how to accept their stutter.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 31 2023, 11:11 am
thank you for answering.
my dc is 8. therapy is expensive, I pay out of pocket. so I really want to know how many sessions does he really need, and is there anything I can do at home to help?
He's very confident and doesnt really care much about the stutter except when others point it out to him.

amother
Firethorn

Post Mon, Jul 31 2023, 11:16 am
amother OP wrote:
thank you for answering.
my dc is 8. therapy is expensive, I pay out of pocket. so I really want to know how many sessions does he really need, and is there anything I can do at home to help?
He's very confident and doesnt really care much about the stutter except when others point it out to him.

therapy is expensive, its a shame insurance does not cover it. do you know what method of treatment the slp is doing with your son?
Things you can do at home which I am sure youre doing... Provide a relaxed and supportive home environment and never complete your childs sentences. You can look on youtube for some at home tips, I like Patricia Ruiz she speaks about diaphramatic breathing, speaking on an exhale etc...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics