Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
I’m thinking of giving up my smartphone, can you help me
Previous  1  2

amother
Cognac

Post Sun, Aug 27 2023, 12:25 am
gottago wrote:
I'm in the same place as you. Really want to give up my smart phone, but really scared to give up the ways in which it makes my life easier.

There's whatsapp web which allows you to check an existing whatsapp account online so you cab use any computer, tablet...

What do you do if you're in a place where you need access to your email for either a return code or let's say if you're traveling?

#BestBubby

Post Sun, Aug 27 2023, 12:59 am
I admire you, OP, Papaya and others

who gave up smartphones.

thegiver

Post Sun, Aug 27 2023, 1:11 am
I use in my car an old fashioned gps. Garmen. It doesn’t tell me real time traffic but I still save loads of time not being on my phone.

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Aug 27 2023, 1:14 am
intrigued1 wrote:
Does keeping your iPhone as an iPod work? I feel like I’ll just have two devices always on me.

I've found it to work quiet well.

Firstly, if you're iPhone doesn't have a SIM card anymore- it won't have data capability which means that you'll only be able to use it at home and won't be taking it with you everywhere you go

Second, you're less likely to check it all the time since it cannot get your calls or text messages

Third, if you are keeping it as an iPod only for camera, or only for online shopping, you end up only using it when you NEED to do those things. That decreases your usage of it overall.

At the Nekadesh Asifah, one thing they brought up was that sometimes people want to get rid of their smartphone but they need certain things like email and amazon.
They recommended getting a flip phone and a tablet. This way, it's not in your pocket 24/7 everywhere you go.

amother
Oleander

Post Sun, Aug 27 2023, 1:17 am
https://www.mommypresence.com/.....stone

Phone totally blocks connection with kids and Hashem! Way to go momma! You are awesome!!

amother
Calendula

Post Sun, Aug 27 2023, 1:28 am
amother Heather wrote:
I was slowly weaning off my smartphone for the past year and finally made the final switch and I absolutely love it and don't miss my smartphone one bit! All the reasons and rationale that I argued and was nervous about fell into place and I couldn't be happier! For one, I can use talk to text on my flip phone so it goes much quicker and I don't need to sit there texting slowly. Also, I can use Tremp for Uber and Lyft. I can check banking and anything else necessary on computer. I'm so happy that I made this switch for the sake of my hashkafa and for the chinuch of my children!

How did you wean off of it? I would love to give it up but I'm afraid to do it cold turkey, any advice on how to do it slowly?

amother
Cerise

Post Sun, Aug 27 2023, 4:03 am
Just saying, my phone broke the other day and I am finding myself completely lost. I rely on my banking app so I can take money from an ATM, can't do that without my phone. Parking app - I have been avoiding paid parking spots, but that won't work long-term. Driving outside my local area, I completely rely on waze. I have cash transfer apps that I use to pay for services, or to repay someone who lays out money for me. Can't use those. Whatsapp, browser, online shopping I can do on my laptop, but it's a pain because I have to keep going back to the computer when I'm expecting a message from someone - and it doesn't work if I'm away from home. So for example I went to pick up my child at a party - but didn't receive the message about the party ending at the park. Not a big deal, but obviously similar situations could have led to a lot of frustration.

Obviously there are workarounds for all these things, if I had planned giving up my phone instead of having it break on me suddenly. But are those workarounds worth the inconvenience? I think the convenience of having all these apps in my pocket is worth it to me. But one needs to be disciplined and not get distracted by having the phone with them at all times. It's not the smartphone, it's how you use it.

amother
Geranium

Post Sun, Aug 27 2023, 9:51 pm
amother OP wrote:
Can I transfer all my apps from my iPhone to an iPad? Can I use an iPad as a phone if I need to? As a hotspot? I use my phone as a hotspot for work and I really don’t feel like getting an additional device for wifi. Is there any kosher phone that works with WhatsApp? And any kosher phone that has a touch keypad? I can’t imagine going back to pressing old fashioned buttons.

And am I being stupid for doing this? I mean after all, smartphones are here to stay and maybe I should keep it and educate my kids on healthy and safe usage. But it’s so distracting and time consuming, and didn’t add to my productivity or spirituality.

Cant answer any of the ipad questions. But I gave up my smart phone and I could tell u that #1 I have no regrets and cant even imagine ever going back to it and #2 getting used to typing on t9 is easier then youd think, im a pro by now!
Hatzlacha on whatever you decide!

amother
Geranium

Post Sun, Aug 27 2023, 9:53 pm
amother Cognac wrote:
What do you do if you're in a place where you need access to your email for either a return code or let's say if you're traveling?

You can check emails on a flip phone

amother
Calendula

Post Sun, Aug 27 2023, 9:55 pm
amother Geranium wrote:
Cant answer any of the ipad questions. But I gave up my smart phone and I could tell u that #1 I have no regrets and cant even imagine ever going back to it and #2 getting used to typing on t9 is easier then youd think, im a pro by now!
Hatzlacha on whatever you decide!

You're amazing, you went cold turkey?

amother
Geranium

Post Sun, Aug 27 2023, 9:56 pm
amother OP wrote:
I wonder if I can use WhatsApp on an iPad independently of a smartphone

I gave up whatsapp with giving up my phone and I thought it would be so hard. It took about a week to get used to it and I cant say I miss it. would never go back to having whatsapp, the quality of life is completely different without it!

amother
Geranium

Post Sun, Aug 27 2023, 10:08 pm
amother Calendula wrote:
You're amazing, you went cold turkey?

Im trying to remember but forsure not cold turkey. I did have a tablet in the beginning with whatsapp and shopping and everything and then I decided its just so stupid. Instead of my kids seeing me with a phone all day theyre seeing me with my flip phone, tablet, and old iphone to take pics. It just made no sense. I got rid of the tablet and old iphone and never looked back. It was the third time in my life switching to a flip phone but the other times I had my old phone/ tablet and it didnt last more then a few weeks. Once I gave up everything theres noway id ever go back to it. I dont miss it at all. It really wasnt hard past a few days it was incredibly liberating and im 3 yrs in now!

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Aug 27 2023, 10:17 pm
amother Cognac wrote:

My TCL Flip Pro has email that you can log into and open your emails

Just make sure your TAG or filter doesn't disable it
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics