Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
I’m thinking of giving up my smartphone, can you help me
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 25 2023, 1:18 pm
Can I transfer all my apps from my iPhone to an iPad? Can I use an iPad as a phone if I need to? As a hotspot? I use my phone as a hotspot for work and I really don’t feel like getting an additional device for wifi. Is there any kosher phone that works with WhatsApp? And any kosher phone that has a touch keypad? I can’t imagine going back to pressing old fashioned buttons.

And am I being stupid for doing this? I mean after all, smartphones are here to stay and maybe I should keep it and educate my kids on healthy and safe usage. But it’s so distracting and time consuming, and didn’t add to my productivity or spirituality.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Fri, Aug 25 2023, 1:24 pm
I don't know all th answers.
You can get Google voice in an iPad.
I actually have a basic phone and then Use my old smart phone with wifi only (so it's basically like a tablet, but it has Whatsapp)
The Sunbeam orchid has a touch screen and you can pay extra for voice to text. But it has no Whatsapp. I used to have it, it broke after a year. I repaired it and it broke after five more months. But I am rough on phones .

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 25 2023, 2:41 pm
I wonder if I can use WhatsApp on an iPad independently of a smartphone

amother
Papaya

Post Fri, Aug 25 2023, 2:51 pm
amother OP wrote:
Can I transfer all my apps from my iPhone to an iPad? Can I use an iPad as a phone if I need to? As a hotspot? I use my phone as a hotspot for work and I really don’t feel like getting an additional device for wifi. Is there any kosher phone that works with WhatsApp? And any kosher phone that has a touch keypad? I can’t imagine going back to pressing old fashioned buttons.

And am I being stupid for doing this? I mean after all, smartphones are here to stay and maybe I should keep it and educate my kids on healthy and safe usage. But it’s so distracting and time consuming, and didn’t add to my productivity or spirituality.

I gave up my smartphone. I have experience with some of these things:

-Yes if you're back up to iCloud you can transfer things to an iPad.

-You can get a flip phone with a hotspot. My TCL Flip Pro has a hotspot that I use for my tablet.

-Yes there are Kosher phones that work with WhatsApp but I find it better to have WhatsApp on my computer

-There are Kosher phone with a touchscreen (such as Fig Flip and Sunbeam Orchid) but T9 makes texting fast and easy and so I don't find it necessary to get a phone with a touchscreen keypad.

-No, you're not being stupid. not at all!! This year, I decided to part ways with my smartphone, relinquishing it after having it for many years. I can state, without doubt, that this choice stands as the best choice I have ever made in my life.

The advantages it ushered into my life appeared boundless.
Switching to a kosher phone skyrocketed my productivity and focus in ways I didn't even think could happen.

Giving up my smartphone accomplished things that I previously hadn't deemed achievable – a transformation beyond measure.

You can read more about it on the thread that I made on this while ago:
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....10391

amother
Papaya

Post Fri, Aug 25 2023, 2:54 pm
What I wrote about my experience on the thread I once made on this topic:

Since I switched to a flip phone, I can honestly say that my life has improved tremendously.
Just from the very first day of using it, I noticed a significant difference in myself.

I was able to engage more fully with my children, and my overall patience improved as I no longer felt the constant urge to check my smartphone.
I was also far more present with the kids and everyone else.

Moreover, I found myself to be much more productive. Actually thats an understatement: my productivity skyrocketed!!
I was accomplishing tasks in one afternoon that used to take me three days to complete!

These remarkable changes all occurred within just ONE day of using a flip phone.

I do still have a computer that I am using for email, WhatsApp, Immamother, shopping, and looking things up.

My flip phone has a hotspot. So if I am ever in public, and I need to look something up, I can connect my flip phone's hotspot to a non-phone device that I take with me.

Type of phone I got: TCL flip pro. I highly recommend it.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 25 2023, 3:55 pm
Thank you so much Papaya!

Doesn’t WhatsApp only work with smartphones? Can I use WhatsApp on an iPad independently?
And does your phone work with WhatsApp?

gottago

Post Fri, Aug 25 2023, 5:12 pm
I'm in the same place as you. Really want to give up my smart phone, but really scared to give up the ways in which it makes my life easier.

There's whatsapp web which allows you to check an existing whatsapp account online so you cab use any computer, tablet...

amother
Lotus

Post Fri, Aug 25 2023, 5:32 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thank you so much Papaya!

Doesn’t WhatsApp only work with smartphones? Can I use WhatsApp on an iPad independently?
And does your phone work with WhatsApp?

I switched from smartphone to tablet/ipad.

Still quite time consuming. It was a big jump and a perfect step in the right direction. Now I want to give it up and use just computer when I need access.

Regarding your question about WhatsApp. I had an android tablet which didn’t work out because it was too cheap and internet was too slow on it. But the good part was that I had WhatsApp like regular phone. Couldn’t do calls though, only WhatsApp calls.

I switched to an ipad because of a good promotion and the big downside is that you cannot install WhatsApp. You can only use it like using WhatsApp on computer. You need to link it and use it on the browser, not in an app. I don’t get notifications when I get a message and every few days it disconnects and I need to link it again otherwise it won’t open my messages.

For me WhatsApp is important and the iPad makes it extremely difficult. You can download different apps where you can link your WhatsApp messages, but then you get tons of ads popping up every second.

If WhatsApp is important to you, you will get really annoyed… A good android tablet may be better.

amother
Mimosa

Post Fri, Aug 25 2023, 6:18 pm
I gave up my smart phone, as I had no choice.
I can't work normal. Keep losing time because I have to get to a computer.
I find an I pad and a flip phone simple hypocrite .
Giving up technology does not make you say tehilim the whole day.
Actually I have never need so far from Hashem since I gave up my phone. It made my life much much easier

TheNeutralOne

Post Sat, Aug 26 2023, 10:30 pm
Those who switched: what do you use for navigation in the car?

Cressel

Post Sat, Aug 26 2023, 10:47 pm
amother Mimosa wrote:
I gave up my smart phone, as I had no choice.
I can't work normal. Keep losing time because I have to get to a computer.
I find an I pad and a flip phone simple hypocrite .
Giving up technology does not make you say tehilim the whole day.
Actually I have never need so far from Hashem since I gave up my phone. It made my life much much easier

Well if you weren't given a choice and you gave up your smartphone out of coercion - then of course it'll make you upset and cause you to be resentful.....

But over here- we're talking about those who choose to give it up.
For me, I CHOOSE to give it up.

In this context, we're focusing on individuals who willingly decide to part with their smartphones.

In my case, I made a conscious decision to relinquish mine, and that choice has greatly improved my life. The benefits it brought me were immense.

Growth has to come from an internal place. Forcing someone to grow externally doesn't cause somebody to grow internally

Genuine growth is not a result of external pressures or force; it arises from a deep desire for change, self-awareness, and the willingness to confront challenges. When someone is coerced or forced into growth, the changes might be superficial and temporary, lacking the necessary foundation for lasting transformation.

Attempting to force growth upon someone often results in resistance, resentment, and an inability to internalize. True personal growth stems from an internal source. Forcing someone into growth rarely yields genuine results.

Since it was forced upon you- naturally you won't be able to enjoy the life without a smartphone.

But that doesn't mean that it won't bring immense benefits into somebody else's life if they choose to part with their smartphone

Given that your smartphone separation was imposed, it's understandable that you cannot fully embrace life without it.

Nonetheless, this does not negate the potential for significant benefits if another person willingly chooses to relinquish their smartphone.

amother
Candycane

Post Sat, Aug 26 2023, 10:51 pm
Also really thinking about giving up my smartphone. Those who have, what do you use for a camera and music? And gps

Cressel

Post Sat, Aug 26 2023, 10:57 pm
TheNeutralOne wrote:

You can get a WAZE device from many of the frum technology stores

Highstrung

Post Sat, Aug 26 2023, 11:00 pm
I was just talking this Shabbos to DH and my kids that I want to give up my smartphone but need apps to log into work for example . So I wasn’t sure how I would be able to work that out . But so want to give it up. That doesn’t mean I’m ready to give up my computer and Internet though. I want to give up this device that follows me wherever I go . From the minute I awake until I fall asleep. I’m sick and tired of having it be a part of me and want to toss it so badly . I’m seriously considering it

amother
Papaya

Post Sat, Aug 26 2023, 11:01 pm
amother Candycane wrote:
Also really thinking about giving up my smartphone. Those who have, what do you use for a camera and music? And gps

Music- 24six device

GPS- WAZE device

Camera- I kept my iPhone (I just switched the SIM card into my flip phone) My iPhone works as a "iPod touch" since it doesn't have a SIM card in it anymore.
I took the browser off it but I still use it for the camera. And since the camera part of the iPhone doesn't need Wifi- I can take it anywhere and use it as a regular camera!!
(if you keep your smartphone - you can use it as a SIM-card-free iPod with a camera)

Cressel

Post Sat, Aug 26 2023, 11:02 pm
Highstrung wrote:
I was just talking this Shabbos to DH and my kids that I want to give up my smartphone but need apps to log into work for example . So I wasn’t sure how I would be able to work that out . But so want to give it up. That doesn’t mean I’m ready to give up my computer and Internet though. I want to give up this device that follows me wherever I go . From the minute I awake until I fall asleep. I’m sick and tired of having it be a part of me and want to toss it so badly . I’m seriously considering it

Can you keep your smartphone but have you SIM card be in a flip phone? Thats what I do

That way you'll still have those apps for work to log into

intrigued1

Post Sat, Aug 26 2023, 11:30 pm
Does keeping your iPhone as an iPod work? I feel like I’ll just have two devices always on me.

amother
Cinnamon

Post Sat, Aug 26 2023, 11:35 pm
I don’t have technical answers for you. I just want to express my admiration for all those who gave up their smartphones. You are role models . I hope to be strong enough to join your ranks soon.

amother
Heather

Post Sat, Aug 26 2023, 11:44 pm
amother OP wrote:

I was slowly weaning off my smartphone for the past year and finally made the final switch and I absolutely love it and don't miss my smartphone one bit! All the reasons and rationale that I argued and was nervous about fell into place and I couldn't be happier! For one, I can use talk to text on my flip phone so it goes much quicker and I don't need to sit there texting slowly. Also, I can use Tremp for Uber and Lyft. I can check banking and anything else necessary on computer. I'm so happy that I made this switch for the sake of my hashkafa and for the chinuch of my children!

amother
Heather

Post Sat, Aug 26 2023, 11:50 pm
TheNeutralOne wrote:

My flip phone has waze although I didn't figure out yet how to use. You can also purchase an actual GPS.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics