Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Do you really think sourdough challah tastes good?
Previous  1  2  3  4

smss

Post Fri, Sep 08 2023, 5:19 pm
OP are you talking about sourdough challah or sourdough bread? I've heard of sourdough challah but never tasted it. Love sourdough bread and prefer it over challah 90% of the time

agreer

Post Fri, Sep 08 2023, 6:36 pm
I'm with you OP.
Sourdough tastes sour to me and it doesn't work for me.

I once got a fancy sourdough for shalach manos and was so disappointed.

amother
Garnet

Post Sat, Sep 09 2023, 4:24 pm
amother OP wrote:
Could be I just don’t like crusty bread so much.
Like I said before- I do understand that it’s healthier- not arguing with that.
But how amazing could flour water and salt be??

I make a sourdough challa with egg, sugar and oil in it, but instead of yeast I use sourdough starter, it takes the amount of time a sourdough takes to make. It;s sweet with a bit of a milky sour under taste.

amother
NeonPurple

Post Sat, Sep 09 2023, 7:22 pm
I recently started making sourdough and my dh and my kids (2 &5) LOVE it. I bake it in loaves so it looks like challa but it’s regular sourdough- just flour and water.
I used to make delicious soft challa and stopped making it, I asked my dh if he’s sure that’s it’s ok to have sourdough instead of challa, does he really like the taste? and he said yes please make sourdough every week!
So to answer your question op, yup some people actually like the taste…

amother
Marigold

Post Sat, Sep 09 2023, 9:21 pm
amother Lotus wrote:
It's a shtick.

Am I the only one who actually gets sick from it? The fermentation actually is really rough on my system.

You’re definitely not the only one! One of my kids get sick from any fermented foods , including sourdough bread, and one of my other ones can only tolerate spelt sourdough in terms of bread.

amother
Hawthorn

Post Sat, Sep 09 2023, 9:32 pm
This week was the first time it tasted pretty gross and I bought at the same location as every week. It was also super flat like 1 inch.

amother
Beige

Post Sat, Sep 09 2023, 9:32 pm
amother NeonPurple wrote:
I recently started making sourdough and my dh and my kids (2 &5) LOVE it. I bake it in loaves so it looks like challa but it’s regular sourdough- just flour and water.
I used to make delicious soft challa and stopped making it, I asked my dh if he’s sure that’s it’s ok to have sourdough instead of challa, does he really like the taste? and he said yes please make sourdough every week!
So to answer your question op, yup some people actually like the taste…

Please share your recipe,Neonpurple!

small bean

Post Sat, Sep 09 2023, 9:51 pm
I also don't get it. It tastes sour and I don't make a sweet challah. I think people like it cuz it's a fad.

amother
Cyclamen

Post Sat, Sep 09 2023, 10:17 pm
Sourdough made me so sick.. Not sure why everyone says it's so good for your stomach

shanie5

Post Sun, Sep 10 2023, 12:01 am
Cheiny wrote:
Oh ok. But then I read somewhere that the sourdough being sold as sourdough really isn’t. I wonder if that is true. That like 75% of the sourdough that’s available out there is not really sourdough.

I've heard that bakeries use "sourdough flavor" as opposed to making real sourdough. I'm sure that's true of some bakeries at least.

I've always loved the 'artisan' breads, but never knew how to make them. When dd started making sourdough she sent me starter and I've been making it ever since. DH and I love it. Youngest dd doesn't like it. So I make sure to have challah for her.

As for the question of 'how can waer, flour, and salt taste good', it's the fermenting process that instills the flavor. I found a recipe online for challah that takes 40 minutes start to finish. It calls for olive oil and says not to substitute with other oils because it needs the flavor. because even regular challah gets it's flavor from the fermenting (rising) process.

Queen Of Hearts

Post Sun, Sep 10 2023, 12:10 am
My family loves it. They prefer it over regular challah. 2 of my kids will actually not eat challah if we don't have sourdough that week.
To say people like it only because it's a fad is projecting your taste buds unto everyone else. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Queen Of Hearts on Sun, Sep 10 2023, 12:52 am; edited 1 time in total

chanatron1000

Post Sun, Sep 10 2023, 12:48 am
I like it, and I don't think it was an acquired taste. I also like plain yeast bread and matzah, and I like yogurt, so the sour taste isn't a bad thing to me.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking